Subtitle issue

AP123

AP123

Hi all,

So I'm noticing an issue with some movies that have hardcoded subs. For example, I'm recently watching The Machine (2023) and there are some forced subtitles for Russian dialogue. The issue I'm noticing is after the line is spoken, the subtitle text does not go away. This does not happen anywhere outside of my Samsung TV app for Emby. The subtitle text will stay on screen until the next subtitled piece of dialogue is spoken, which sometimes isn't for 20-30m. This isn't an issue with the file itself, as again I've tested the same movie file on other platforms and it works just fine. Is there any way to fix this, as it gets very annoying just staring at one line of subtitle text for almost an entire movie. And before anyone says "just turn the subs off" yes that CAN be an option but then I won't know when the next foreign language part is, so I'd need them back on once that part occurs. This also recently happened to me with the movie Sisu as well as the show Ted Lasso. Same thing, foreign language, subtitles appear, and don't disappear, or for Ted Lasso the regular subs will stay until the next spoken line. Only "fix" that really works is I go download the SRT file and then select that as my subtitles as opposed to using what's already supplied for me with the video file.

SamES

What version of the app are you using?  Is this the App Store version or USB beta install?

What model is the TV? 

I suspect this is an old issue that has already been resolved. 

AP123

Samsung Smart TV. Don’t have the exact model but it’s a 65” from 2019. App store install. Emby app for samsung version 1.2.6

Edited by AP123

AP123
8 hours ago, SamES said:

What version of the app are you using?  Is this the App Store version or USB beta install?

What model is the TV? 

I suspect this is an old issue that has already been resolved. 

Samsung Smart TV. Don’t have the exact model but it’s a 65” from 2019. App store install. Emby app for samsung version 1.2.6

Edited by AP123
  • Like 1

SamES

Ok, that’s been fixed when the next release is published. Thanks

AP123
1 minute ago, SamES said:

Ok, that’s been fixed when the next release is published. Thanks

Ok awesome. My tv is set to auto update apps so this latest version I believe is from april 25th of this year. Any rough ETA on the next update publishing? 

SamES

Another update should be expected soon, but no eta at the moment. 

AP123
5 hours ago, SamES said:

Another update should be expected soon, but no eta at the moment. 

My bedroom tv is newer. That one runs 1.4.8 and the subs work fine. Hoping the living room tv gets the update soon! Both samsung

SamES

Yeah, the version you have on that tv is a year old. Some models from 2019 missed the last update from Samsung and will get picked up in the next round. 

AP123
Just now, SamES said:

Yeah, the version you have on that tv is a year old. Some models from 2019 missed the last update from Samsung and will get picked up in the next round. 

Yeah so I just realized my living room tv hasn’t updated emby since april 2022 not this year. That’s the 1.2.5. Bedroom hasn’t updated since december 2022 and that’s the 1.4.8. I was trying to see how to force an update but samsung is pretty stiff so I’m stuck for now. 

SamES

You can install the usb beta update, then go back to the store version when it’s updated

The usb version has a preset expiry from Samsung, about every 30 days, then you need to remove it and download and install the latest version again  Some people feel this is a headache, but might be worth it if it solves your problem  

AP123
6 minutes ago, SamES said:

Found my model number as well. Couldn’t earlier. UN65RU8000FXZA

• Like 1

AP123
2 minutes ago, SamES said:

You can install the usb beta update, then go back to the store version when it’s updated

The usb version has a preset expiry from Samsung, about every 30 days, then you need to remove it and download and install the latest version again  Some people feel this is a headache, but might be worth it if it solves your problem  

For now my work around is simpler. I just find an srt file and those work fine. Would be nice not to have to go find forced sub files all the time but it’s easier than the usb install every 30 days I guess haha. I’ll wait for the update. Thanks again. 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

I know this topic has come up in the past but I wanted to ask if there had been any updates on how emby handles files with multiple title options. I'm currently running the last emby on a RasPi and using the Samsung TV app. It's very annoying to try and watch a movie with multiple subtitle files and then have emby not display the subs. Then I have to stop the movie and go download an SRT file, make sure the timing on the SRT lines up with my movie file as sometimes different rips are timed differently, and then restart the movie. Has there been any updates on how emby, particularly on Samsung TV, handles movies with multiple sub options?

Ronstang

I'm not sure I understand your issue because I have multiple subs in most all of my content and they play fine.  There is a drop down box when you click the CC button to choose which one to play.  I have mine set to always play subs....how is yours set?  Are you certain you subs play out of emby in an app like MPV or VLC?  Does emby not see the subs? If not then they are in the wrong place possibly.  We need some more information here to help you figure this out.

Subs can be a pain in the rear until you figure them out is all.

13 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

I'm not sure I understand your issue because I have multiple subs in most all of my content and they play fine.  There is a drop down box when you click the CC button to choose which one to play.  I have mine set to always play subs....how is yours set?  Are you certain you subs play out of emby in an app like MPV or VLC?  Does emby not see the subs? If not then they are in the wrong place possibly.  We need some more information here to help you figure this out.

Subs can be a pain in the rear until you figure them out is all.

Yeah so apparently this is a long standing issue. For example, I downloaded Blue Beetle. It has about 7-8 subtitle options. Emby on Samsung has issues displaying the subtitles. They flash in a fraction of a second and are illegible. The only fix is to add an srt file. It’s just frustrating because I won’t know that I need to fix the subs until I watch the movie and realize the “forced” language parts have no subtitles displaying. The emby team is definitely aware. I was hoping a fix was on the radar soon. 

Ronstang

Are these subs embedded in the file?  What kind of file is this?  Is this an MKV?  Can you upload an example for us to try?

1 minute ago, Ronstang said:

Are these subs embedded in the file?  What kind of file is this?  Is this an MKV?  Can you upload an example for us to try?

Yes they are embedded. Sometimes it’s mkv and sometimes mp4. I made a post about it in June and was told a fix for older samsung tv apps is coming. So again I’m just trying to see when the fix will be launched. 

3 hours ago, AP123 said:

Yeah so apparently this is a long standing issue. For example, I downloaded Blue Beetle. It has about 7-8 subtitle options. Emby on Samsung has issues displaying the subtitles. They flash in a fraction of a second and are illegible. The only fix is to add an srt file. It’s just frustrating because I won’t know that I need to fix the subs until I watch the movie and realize the “forced” language parts have no subtitles displaying. The emby team is definitely aware. I was hoping a fix was on the radar soon. 

Actually just to correct your statement here, it's not Emby on Samsung that has the issue, it's the Samsung video player that has the issue.

There's nothing we can do other than report it to Samsung. Actually there is one thing we could do, which is force transcoding and remove the the unneeded subtitles as part of the transcoding process. We haven't gone that far (yet?) because not everyone would like that.

Ronstang
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Actually just to correct your statement here, it's not Emby on Samsung that has the issue, it's the Samsung video player that has the issue.

There's a lot of reasons that you couldn't give me a Samsung TV....this just adds another.  LOL

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

There's nothing we can do other than report it to Samsung. Actually there is one thing we could do, which is force transcoding and remove the the unneeded subtitles as part of the transcoding process. We haven't gone that far (yet?) because not everyone would like that.

In a post I made in June regarding this someone responded and said “there is a fix we’re pushing out in our next update.” So what exactly were they referencing then?

2 minutes ago, AP123 said:

In a post I made in June regarding this someone responded and said “there is a fix we’re pushing out in our next update.” So what exactly were they referencing then?

Well first of all, I need to make sure I'm talking about the right thing here. What issue specifically are you referring to? Did you have a thread for it previously? If you did, then it's always best to continue the discussion there so that everyone can refresh themselves on the details if needed.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

Well first of all, I need to make sure I'm talking about the right thing here. What issue specifically are you referring to? Did you have a thread for it previously? If you did, then it's always best to continue the discussion there so that everyone can refresh themselves on the details if needed.

I’m trying to copy the link to the thread and post it here but for some reason I’m not able to paste the thread link in my replies. I made the post under “Samsung” in June. It’s regarding movie files that have multiple subtitle options built it. This leads to the subtitles not displaying on the video and having to download srt files as a work around. It only happens on my older samsung tv from 2019 not my newer model. 

4 minutes ago, Luke said: