Dolby Vision

PapaMok
Go to solution Solved by samuelqwe,

PapaMok

Bonjour à toutes et tous !

Hier j'ai téléchargé une série en 4K Dolby Vision, mais impossible de lire les fichiers. Quand j'appuie sur "Lecture", ça essaye de lire pendant 2-3 secondes puis ça revient sur Emby, et je suis obligé de relancer le server.
J'utilise Emby sur Shield TV Pro (2019), branchée sur barre de son Yamaha YSP-2700, branchée elle à ma TV Samsung 4K UE55NU7172.
Autre information, mon server Emby est à jour à la version 4.8.0.39
D'où pourrait venir ce problème de lecture ? Emby ? La Shield ? Ma barre de son ?

Merci d'avance pour vos retours.

PapaMok

PapaMok

Bon, première information, ça ne vient pas de la Shield.
J'ai essayé de lire le fichier avec Kodi, et ça fonctionne.
On dirait que c'est un problème avec Emby du coup..

PapaMok
On 6/20/2023 at 12:13 AM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Je viens d'essayer un autre film en Dolby Vision, ça ne fonctionne pas non plus..
Emby ne supporte pas le format Dolby Vision ?

• Solution
samuelqwe

Ta TV Samsung ne supporte pas le format Dolby Vision et Emby n’a pas présentement de fonctionnalité pour convertir Dolby Vision dans un format compatible pour ta TV, donc j’imagine que c’est pour ça que ça ne fonctionne pas ici.

PapaMok
51 minutes ago, samuelqwe said:

Ta TV Samsung ne supporte pas le format Dolby Vision et Emby n’a pas présentement de fonctionnalité pour convertir Dolby Vision dans un format compatible pour ta TV, donc j’imagine que c’est pour ça que ça ne fonctionne pas ici.

Ah d'accord, tu veux dire pas de transcodage alors j'imagine.. mince.
Merci pour la réponse 🙂

PapaMok
4 hours ago, samuelqwe said:

Dans la description du film que j'ai téléchargé, il y a écrit :
"
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible"
Que veut dire HDR10 compatible du coup, si ma TV ne peux pas le lire ? @SamES

PapaMok
On 6/23/2023 at 12:03 AM, samuelqwe said:

Salut !
Nouvelle information..
Hier j'ai téléchargé le dernier Mario Bros (le film) en 4K Dolby Vision, et il fonctionne.
J'ai donc retéléchargé un épisode d'une série (Our Planet), en 4K DV aussi, et lui ne fonctionne pas.
J'ai fait un Media Info sur les 2 fichiers (que je laisse en pièce jointe), et je ne vois qu'elle est la différence entre les 2, donc je ne comprends pas..
Je précise que Mario est un 4KLight, mais je ne sais pas si c'est important.
Et pour info, Mario fonctionne en lecture directe.. je vois bien la lecture du film en DV, et pas de transcodage..

Mario.txt Our Planet.txt

Edited by PapaMok

SamES

I don't really know as this is probably more of a Shield question, but do you get any errors when it fails to play?

What happens if you try and play 'Our Planet' and select the standard AC3 track and not the Atmos track before playback?

And yes, I agree, if these are also HDR10 files then they should play - so it may not be a video track issue

rbjtech
13 minutes ago, SamES said:

I don't really know as this is probably more of a Shield question, but do you get any errors when it fails to play?

What happens if you try and play 'Our Planet' and select the standard AC3 track and not the Atmos track before playback?

And yes, I agree, if these are also HDR10 files then they should play - so it may not be a video track issue

There is unfortunately a lot of 'poor' DV8 (DV + HDR10) files out there that have not been 'constructed' properly - meaning the HDR10 layer does not work.   You NEED this to work because your TV does not support Dolby Vision - as explained above.

If you have a file that does not play - then there are tools available (see RESET_9999) that can potentially 'fix' these files and make them play properly (as HDR10).

• Like 1

SamES
10 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

There is unfortunately a lot of 'poor' DV8 (DV + HDR10) files out there that have not been 'constructed' properly - meaning the HDR10 layer does not work. 

Thanks, good to know - and unfortunate that this is the case!

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, SamES said:

..and unfortunate that this is the case!

indeed - I've had to reconstruct a few that failed to play on a FireTV 4K Max WITH a DV enabled TV - it didn't play either DV or HDR10 just a black screen. 🤬  But the scripts have a 'FIXER' option (option 2 then option 1 ) that resyncs the DV8 -  L5/L6/SYNC/SCENE/FPS and Colour Range ..  Seems to work ok after that .. 😎

• Like 1

PapaMok

@rbjtech

@SamES

If I understand correctly, can a file contain Dobly Vision AND HDR ?
If this is the case, and I don’t have a DV, normally the file automatically reads in HDR ?
Sorry, I don’t understand everything about these formats yet..

rbjtech
22 minutes ago, PapaMok said:

@rbjtech

@SamES

If I understand correctly, can a file contain Dobly Vision AND HDR ?
If this is the case, and I don’t have a DV, normally the file automatically reads in HDR ?
Sorry, I don’t understand everything about these formats yet..

The answer is maybe - unfortunately, Dolby Vision has confused things greatly with the idea of Profiles.  

• Profile 5 - Has no HDR10 layer - thus, will not play unless everything in the chain supports Dolby Vision P5.   This is the base DV profile, and I've yet to hear of any DV device not playing DV5.
  • Profile 7 - Has both DV and HDR10.  But these are meant for actual UHD Disks only - thus there are additional considerations such as layers.  In short, this profile has the LEAST amount of chance working (as a DV Rip) even on a DV enabled device, as only the Shield and a few other players will even attempt to play it as DV.   It SHOULD however fallback to HDR10 on a non DV device.
  • Profile 8 - Has both DV and HDR10 - BUT these are not directly ripped - they are constructed by combining both a HDR10 and a DV Source (from DV7 or DV5).   When created correctly, they are the BEST chance of working in both a DV and non-DV (HDR10) device - but if created badly, then they work in neither !

So, in summary, a sorry state of affairs.. 🙄

If you have non-DV devices (such as your Samsung TV) - then my advice is to stick with HDR10 or HDR10+ sources - steer clear of DV !

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

PapaMok
14 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The answer is maybe - unfortunately, Dolby Vision has confused things greatly with the idea of Profiles.  

• Profile 5 - Has no HDR10 layer - thus, will not play unless everything in the chain supports Dolby Vision P5.   This is the base DV profile, and I've yet to hear of any DV device not playing DV5.
  • Profile 7 - Has both DV and HDR10.  But these are meant for actual UHD Disks only - thus there are additional considerations such as layers.  In short, this profile has the LEAST amount of chance working (as a DV Rip) even on a DV enabled device, as only the Shield and a few other players will even attempt to play it as DV.   It SHOULD however fallback to HDR10 on a non DV device.
  • Profile 8 - Has both DV and HDR10 - BUT these are not directly ripped - they are constructed by combining both a HDR10 and a DV Source (from DV7 or DV5).   When created correctly, they are the BEST chance of working in both a DV and non-DV (HDR10) device - but if created badly, then they work in neither !

So, in summary, a sorry state of affairs.. 🙄

If you have non-DV devices (such as your Samsung TV) - then my advice is to stick with HDR10 or HDR10+ sources - steer clear of DV !

I do have a Samsung TV, but I also have a NVidia Shield TV Pro.
How do I know the file is 5.7 or 8? With MediaInfo?
And personally DV doesn’t interest me, it’s just that I downloaded a movie (4K Light) as usual, and I saw "Dolby Vision on Emby.. I thought "Ah". This is the first time I see this, before I was downloading but everything was in HDR-HDR10.

So I will stay on the HDR of course, but the problem is that the files I downloaded recently are only (for now) DV, and Emby doesn’t want to read them.
Or the files are badly created..

Anyway, thank you very much for all this information!

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, PapaMok said:

Yes - use the external App MediaInfo.  Emby are getting around to incorporating the DV profile (the 'info' is available in the Beta) - but they have imo unfortunetly added to the confusion by just displaying 'Dolby Vision' and as explained above - that may or may not play at all or the colours may be way off 🙄.   

I have suggested they use the terms for P5 - 'Dolby Vision Only' - P7/P8 - 'Dolby Vision + HDR10' .. lets hope they change this sooner rather than later as it comes up very frequently on the forum...

@Luke@softworkz

Edited by rbjtech

PapaMok
9 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Yes - use the external App MediaInfo.  Emby are getting around to incorporating the DV profile (the 'info' is available in the Beta) - but they have imo unfortunetly added to the confusion by just displaying 'Dolby Vision' and as explained above - that may or may not play at all or the colours may be way off 🙄.   

I have suggested they use the terms for P5 - 'Dolby Vision Only' - P7/P8 - 'Dolby Vision + HDR10' .. lets hope they change this sooner rather than later as it comes up very frequently on the forum...

@Luke@softworkz

Good idea ;)

In any case, I can not read these files. no matter what Emby displays
There for example, I tried this file (the 3rd one, and it still doesn’t work). Yet, in the description and the title, there is written DV and HDR10.
What’s wrong with this file, for example?

rbjtech
12 minutes ago, PapaMok said:

Good idea ;)

In any case, I can not read these files. no matter what Emby displays
There for example, I tried this file (the 3rd one, and it still doesn’t work). Yet, in the description and the title, there is written DV and HDR10.
What’s wrong with this file, for example?

Avatar.txt 12.79 kB · 0 downloads

So that one is HDR10+ - your Shield doesn't support HDR10+ (but should drop to HDR10)

It's a minefield isn't it !

Try a different file  ...

PapaMok
18 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So that one is HDR10+ - your Shield doesn't support HDR10+ (but should drop to HDR10)

Okay, so I tried this one, and it doesn’t work either..
Earlier I said that one of my files was working (in DV), but in fact it worked once and after nothing.
For the movie Avatar (in DV), it worked at first reading, but when I wanted to move on in the movie, it stopped, and he doesn’t want to start anymore.

ocean.txt

PapaMok
31 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I just tried Ocean again, and it’s working now!
It seems that it works when it wants (it did the same thing with Mario)..

• 4 weeks later...
gstar3

@rbjtech

I am running emby server 4.7.11 and NONE of my media files are recognized as Dolby Vision. Only HDR10. 

These are files with DV layer, in MKV container. So most of the DV profile 8. 

Is there any fix to this? 

Is this because I am not running the 4.8 beta? If this is the case, do I need to rescan the movie library again, for emby to recognize the HDR format? 

Also I can tell you that I tested plex, and it DOES today recognize correctly if the file contains DV or ordinary HDR10. I would just rather like to avoid to move over to plex if I can. 

gstar3
On 6/26/2023 at 3:56 PM, PapaMok said:

I do have a Samsung TV, but I also have a NVidia Shield TV Pro.
And personally DV doesn’t interest me, it’s just that I downloaded a movie (4K Light) as usual, and I saw "Dolby Vision on Emby.. I thought "Ah". This is the first time I see this, before I was downloading but everything was in HDR-HDR10.

So I will stay on the HDR of course, but the problem is that the files I downloaded recently are only (for now) DV, and Emby doesn’t want to read them.
Or the files are badly created..

Anyway, thank you very much for all this information!

Do you mean emby server showed you ""Dolby Vision" or emby client?

rbjtech
9 hours ago, gstar3 said:

@rbjtech

I am running emby server 4.7.11 and NONE of my media files are recognized as Dolby Vision. Only HDR10. 

These are files with DV layer, in MKV container. So most of the DV profile 8. 

Is there any fix to this? 

Is this because I am not running the 4.8 beta? If this is the case, do I need to rescan the movie library again, for emby to recognize the HDR format? 

Also I can tell you that I tested plex, and it DOES today recognize correctly if the file contains DV or ordinary HDR10. I would just rather like to avoid to move over to plex if I can. 

What emby client and version are you running ?

It's the client that dictates how it plays, not the server version.

I've had zero issues with AndroidTV since the inception of Dolby Vision (in MKV) and before that no issues playing via MP4 on the LG Client.

gstar3
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

What emby client and version are you running ?

It's the client that dictates how it plays, not the server version.

I've had zero issues with AndroidTV since the inception of Dolby Vision (in MKV) and before that no issues playing via MP4 on the LG Client.

Hi, I have started to use infuse, before that MrMC on Apple TV 4K. 

But it does not really matter about the player, my question was not related to playback.

My question is about when the emby server scans the video file, it does not seem to recognize the DV layer. Plex does recognize it. 
So the database description about the file is correct in plex and not correct in emby. It must be related to the scanning done with ffmpeg. Is this fixed in 4.8 beta, or it should also work in 4.7 versions? DV layer has been around for quite a long time.