Emby don't show Forced subtitles

Przemek

Przemek

Hello, many movies/series have default set in Emby subtitles like that:

`Polish (Default Forced SUBRIP)`. 

Emby don't show them so I must everytime change to `Polish (SUBRIP)`.

Then it works.

Regards.

Edited by Przemek

Przemek
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, why exactly do you think they don't show?

I mean Enby don't display on screen during play subtitles that are named Forced SUBRIP.

Przemek
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

In other words how did you test this?

I play something where are that subtitles. I think that are Netflix movies/series.

As You can see on screenshots there are no subtitles when FORCED SUBRIP are chosen. That is exactly the same moment in episode. 

Screenshot_2023-06-14-17-23-42-01_44afb15bb7fddf0c82da86f25534e5f4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-14-17-23-32-96_44afb15bb7fddf0c82da86f25534e5f4.jpg

1 minute ago, Przemek said:

I play something where are that subtitles. I think that are Netflix movies/series.

As You can see on screenshots there are no subtitles when FORCED SUBRIP are chosen. That is exactly the same moment in episode. 

Screenshot_2023-06-14-17-23-42-01_44afb15bb7fddf0c82da86f25534e5f4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-14-17-23-32-96_44afb15bb7fddf0c82da86f25534e5f4.jpg

At what point in the video did you check? Do you know what forced subtitles are?

Przemek
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

At what point in the video did you check? Do you know what forced subtitles are?

Don't understand why do You ask? That forced subtitles don't work and I don't want to see them as default in Emby. Is is possible or I have to choose working subtitles every time?

7 minutes ago, Przemek said:

Don't understand why do You ask? That forced subtitles don't work and I don't want to see them as default in Emby. Is is possible or I have to choose working subtitles every time?

Do you know what the difference is between forced subtitles and normal subtitles? Most of the time the forced subtitles won't show anything. That's why I'm asking these questions, because you're saying "not working", and I'm guessing that the subtitles just don't have anything at that particular point in the video.

Przemek

I'm simple men and if subtitles don't show at all, it's mean for me that they don't work. It's possible to force Emby to use other subtitles that works?

5 minutes ago, Przemek said:

I'm simple men and if subtitles don't show at all, it's mean for me that they don't work. It's possible to force Emby to use other subtitles that works?

Yes, pick a different subtitle track, such as the non-forced subtitles.

You may want to change your user default subtitle settings to "Always Show Subtitles" as the "Smart" or "Default" settings are going to choose those forced ones.

Przemek
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

You may want to change your user default subtitle settings to "Always Show Subtitles" as the "Smart" or "Default" settings are going to choose those forced ones.

I have that option set. I change to Intelligent and see how it goes. Thanks.

pwhodges
52 minutes ago, Przemek said:

I'm simple men and if subtitles don't show at all, it's mean for me that they don't work.

Most typically, forced subtitles are for words and signs in a different language from the main dialogue; they are not subtitles of the whole dialogue.  This is why most of the time you won't see anything - there's nothing to be seen!

Paul

• Thanks 1

Przemek

So they are unnecessary for watching. It will be nice if Enby ignore them and set other as default. I try `Inteligent` but after restart Emby it's still give me that forced as default.

2 hours ago, Przemek said:

So they are unnecessary for watching. It will be nice if Enby ignore them and set other as default. I try `Inteligent` but after restart Emby it's still give me that forced as default.

They are necessary, to certain people.

You probably have the user option enabled to remember selected tracks.

Przemek
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

You probably have the user option enabled to remember selected tracks.

Yes but I clear every track history.

3 hours ago, Przemek said:

I try `Inteligent` but after restart Emby it's still give me that forced as default.

The track is marked as "Default" as well as forced so it will be preferred.

For most people the forced track is the only one they want to see because it contains only dialog that does not conform to the main language of the film.

Przemek

Sorry @ebrbut I don't understand how that forced subtitles are used by someone if they are not display during play. I set to play original language of films and polish subtitles but content from netlix is always set to Polish language and that forced SUBRIP subs.

Just now, Przemek said:

I don't understand how that forced subtitles are used by someone if they are not display during play.

They are displayed.  It is just that they only exist for dialog that is NOT the main language of the film.

1 minute ago, Przemek said:

is always set to Polish language and that forced SUBRIP subs

If the audio track is Polish then you would never see subtitles for Polish dialog in a "forced" subtitle track.  You would see them if someone started talking in some language other than Polish in that track.

pwhodges

Look at the subtitles using Subtitle Edit (it can open them directly from the video file) - then you will see how little is actually contained in a typical forced subtitles track.  I've seen them with as little as the translation of a single sign.

Paul

14 hours ago, Przemek said:

OK, I believe that but meybe there should be option to ignore that subs in Enby.

I imagine forced subs are by far the most common ones used.  If you remove the "default" flag from those subs I believe it will solve your issue.