Stop adding useless, unwanted features, without a way to disable them!

grnmch

grnmch

Please stop adding ANY new features, without an option to completely disable them!

My current problem is "trailers" I have been using emby for 10 or more years, and recently the trailer button has showed up, give me a setting to stop this. Every time you update emby something shows up that is useless, or downright unwanted, and we are stuck with it! I have had to reinstall older versions of emby just to keep things working right! I've been in electronics for 50+ years, the first 2 rules I learned were THIMK! (spelled wrong on purpose), and IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!

Emby was the best server, now it is becoming unusable due to the extra crap you keep adding, and I am afraid will soon have to be replaced, if I cant find a usable version, without FLUFF!

• Facepalm 4

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, grnmch said:

My current problem is "trailers" I have been using emby for 10 or more years, and recently the trailer button has showed up

Which client app, as Trailers button been present for a long time (if link(s) scraped/local trailers present), nothing new there. 

• Like 1

darkassassin07
9 hours ago, grnmch said:

Please stop adding ANY new features, without an option to completely disable them!

You could always install whatever ancient build you're happy with and disable auto update. I wouldn't recommend exposing that publicly at all, but you do you.

Or you could learn to properly use the software you've supposedly had installed for 10 years. Trailers have been a part of emby for as long as I've used it (7+ years), and can be disabled by removing the trailers plugin and any trailer files you've got in your media libraries.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Haha 1

roaku
1 hour ago, darkassassin07 said:

You could always install whatever ancient build you're happy with and disable auto update. I wouldn't recommend exposing that publicly at all, but you do you.

Or you could learn to properly use the software you've supposedly had installed for 10 years. Trailers have been a part of emby for as long as I've used it (7+ years), and can be disabled by removing the trailers plugin and any trailer files you've got in your media libraries.

The Trailers tab can not be disabled by removing the trailers plugin, and there's no way to avoid a trailer button on an item once the metadata fetcher for that item retrieves a youtube trailer link (except on the Roku app, but only because of Roku platform rule/limitation). Both of those things should be the case though and have been requested and now have been requested again in this thread.

@grnmchYes, this behavior has been around a long time. I'm not sure why everyone is fixating on that instead of discussing options for disabling/improving it.

• Like 1

darkassassin07
1 hour ago, roaku said:

I'm not sure why everyone is fixating on that instead of discussing options for disabling/improving it.

Because; instead of asking for help, @grnmchwent on a long yelling rant about 'new' features that have been around longer than he has, while subtly insulting embys devs and their efforts. As well as the typical "do as I say or I'll leave" threat.

If you want help, politely ask for help. There's plenty of reasonable ways to do so; this isn't it.

You tend to get back what you put out into the world.

• Like 1

roaku
9 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

Because; instead of asking for help, @grnmchwent on a long yelling rant about 'new' features that have been around longer than he has, while subtly insulting embys devs and their efforts. As well as the typical "do as I say or I'll leave" threat.

If you want help, politely ask for help. There's plenty of reasonable ways to do so; this isn't it.

You tend to get back what you put out into the world.

I agree with you that removing the trailer plugin should also hide the trailers tab from the UI.

An alternative I've suggested in the past is that the trailers tab should be updated to support local trailer files in the media library.

darkassassin07
49 minutes ago, roaku said:

I agree with you that removing the trailer plugin should also hide the trailers tab from the UI.

Tbh I thought it did (I had to go looking for them to see). I don't use trailers and don't have the plugin installed: there is no 'trailers' library anymore because of this, but the 'trailers' tab in the movie library I didn't realize was there as I never use those tabs (I just filter/change sort order), and the trailer button on a movie I didn't even notice exists, probably since it's always been there unused for me.

It's one of those features that, while it is there, it's not super in-your-face taking up my attention. It just quietly exists in the background. Maybe my users will only find trailers mildly useful on rare occasion, but it's not hurting anything being left there, so it doesn't really bother me. I hardly even notice it exists at all. Especially as it's not taking up a bunch of resources processing trailers or downloading them locally; it's just passing a yt link to the client to look at if they want. Pretty harmless.

roaku

Other tabs hide themselves when they have no content to display. There's no reason for this one to behave differently.

• Agree 2

Hi, there's already an open request for this or something functionally equivalent. Please join in and contribute to the existing discussion at:

On 6/5/2023 at 6:47 AM, grnmch said:

This is completely unworkable so I've boiled this request down to the exact issue you provided.

Thanks.

• Like 1