Gpu-Next + Auto and refresh rate = a lot of juddering

nicko84

2 minutes ago, nicko84 said:

@LukeWhat about Vulkan API on ET for desktop Luke ? Is it in the road map ? 

We are following mpv and staying up to date with their developments.

SteveFintel

I implemented gpu-api=vulkan in the mpv.conf file. Not only did the refresh rate remain constant, but the desktop was not blacked out on 1920:803 content. FYI, the system is using 10th gen Intel CPU graphics connected to a Sony A9G monitor. I can play the same content on a Firestick 4K or the TV's Android TV OS and it plays in HDR at 24 FPS (like the source material).

generiq

Theater is using the mpv library. I'm thinking that the gpu-api option might need to be written into the scripts/options. You have to remember that electron is also involved.

Many are using these parameters in the standalone player. Also, the refresh rate switching is external to mpv. It's an executable written specially for Theater by the Emby developers. 

SteveFintel

I'm really trying to get to refresh rate switching which is non-functional with Emby Theater on my platform. How can I make that happen?

Note that Kodi does this flawlessly on the same hardware. 

generiq
2 minutes ago, SteveFintel said:

I'm really trying to get to refresh rate switching which is non-functional with Emby Theater on my platform. How can I make that happen?

Note that Kodi does this flawlessly on the same hardware. 

Are you saying that refreshrate switching doesn't work at all, no matter which settings you use?

SteveFintel

That's correct. On rare occasions, it will switch, but there's no audio. Those rare occasions are not repeatable. I've tried real hard. 😀

Should we start another thread?

Edited by SteveFintel

generiq
Just now, SteveFintel said:

That's correct. On rare occasions, it will switch, but there's no audio. Those rare occasions are not repeatable. I've tried real hard. 😀

OK, so that needs specific attention. Start an new thread. Clear your mpv.conf, set the Theater settings to auto except video output should be gpu-next. Create an mpv log while the issue is happening and attach it. Luke will need to see what's happening.