Gpu-Next + Auto and refresh rate = a lot of juddering

nicko84

nicko84

Hello,

Do you now why refresh rate (60;23) with gpu-net and Auto is very bad with a lot of juddering (23,976 hz 4K video and Windows 10 with HDR) ?

nicko84
On 5/31/2023 at 7:43 PM, nicko84 said:

Hello,

Do you now why refresh rate (60;23) with gpu-net and Auto is very bad with a lot of juddering (23,976 hz 4K video and Windows 10 with HDR) ?

Hello,

No...

nicko84

Hello

After several tests this issue seems to happen ONLY with AAC sound track (5.1 or 7.1 or else) and never with other sound track format like EAC3, TRUE-HD, AC3 ...

ET video settings :

image.png.7b8599d68179940f43b73ec8bf4d7f48.png

image.png.f961f265d9c2164f4fa4fd5ff9d71a89.png

image.png.198feb434856201c702e40822bbcba39.png

Audio : All formats selected

Stats for nerds with Video and AAC sound track : i've a lot of drop frames so a lot of judders

image.png.0f07216094fd745a713e0c28c4fc1d60.png

image.png.3fe4fde024b551908230d8132eb7b28a.png

Stats for nerds with Video and TRUE-HD (ATMOS) sound track : i've no drop frames so no judders

image.png.fc1fc278a0fff2a55c126cf9dc88e1fc.png

image.png.58f5252c76b04ac8c8b286e2303d0186.png

• Thanks 1

nicko84

I'm using auto...

The thirst and second screenshots in my post are the same (mistake).
This is the fist and right one :

IMG20230610171451.thumb.jpg.8b45c0f16fd1dfffc11a83034e647477.jpg

I've also tried with d3d and d3d copy back and all others hardware acceleration settings et no way...always judders.

Edited by nicko84

nicko84

Stats in my post up here... and here with hardware acceleration on AUTO

image.png.0f07216094fd745a713e0c28c4fc1d60.png

image.png.3fe4fde024b551908230d8132eb7b28a.png

Edited by nicko84

generiq

Do you see it? It's still using nvdec. I've never seen mpv fall back to nvdec. So you're doing something to affect this.

generiq

Try testing with an mpv.conf. In the settings set hardware acceleration to unset. And add hwdec=auto in the mpv.conf

generiq

Does your motherboard have an on-board gpu, an Intel or Radeon maybe? If yes, have you disabled it?

Edited by generiq

nicko84

I will remove the mpv.conf, maybe confusing for ET and try again (?)

I've disabled  on-board Intel GPU for a long time and using Nvidia 1050ti

nicko84

Yes it was an mpv.conf file !

But i thought the mpv.conf was not read with graphic acceleration on Auto (?)...and i was wrong obviously...

Sorry for this misunderstanding !

generiq
2 hours ago, nicko84 said:

I've disabled  on-board Intel GPU for a long time and using Nvidia 1050ti

Don't do this. When Windows boots, it loads the drivers required for the hardware it detects during boot. You need the d3d11 windows driver. If you disable the on-board gpu, Windows will probably not load that driver. YOU NEED THAT DRIVER, for optimized hardware usage. You also need it for HDR pass-through and several other functions. If you can only use nvdec, HDR will always be tonemapped and require more processing, which is probably why your gpu is struggling and dropping frames. 

FOR EVERYONE! DO NOT DISABLE YOUR INTEGRATED GPU! 

• Thanks 1

nicko84

Hello,

Thanks generiq !

Without mpv.conf and IGP activated all is allright now with Nvidia 1050ti, no more dropping frames and judders, d3d11 is ok with or without refresh rate activated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

generiq

Something else to consider, if you're using Windows 11, under the display settings,  you can specify which gpu each app uses. 

• 2 weeks later...
nicko84

Hello,

On Windows 10 and HDR all is allright know with GPU Next and d3d11 but i have some pumping brightness effects with HR10 or DV.

Picture on the same scene become suddenly brighter, and goes back to "normal" on the next scene...

I've not these effects with ET on Shield

generiq
On 7/1/2023 at 3:29 AM, nicko84 said:

Hello,

On Windows 10 and HDR all is allright know with GPU Next and d3d11 but i have some pumping brightness effects with HR10 or DV.

Picture on the same scene become suddenly brighter, and goes back to "normal" on the next scene...

I've not these effects with ET on Shield

Add this to your mpv.conf

hdr-compute-peak=no

nicko84
On 7/4/2023 at 4:55 AM, generiq said:

Add this to your mpv.conf

hdr-compute-peak=no

Hello,

I'watched several HDR10  movies and this issue is gone with this line in mpv.conf !

Thanks

generiq
7 hours ago, nicko84 said:

Hello,

I'watched several HDR10  movies and this issue is gone with this line in mpv.conf !

Thanks

If you aren't aware, your HDR is being tone-mapped. If your display supports HDR, you should enable HDR in Windows. Then then the metadata will pass to the display for HDR10.

nicko84
18 hours ago, generiq said:

If you aren't aware, your HDR is being tone-mapped. If your display supports HDR, you should enable HDR in Windows. Then then the metadata will pass to the display for HDR10.

yes, my display support HDR, HDR is activated on Windows 10, and the display is indeed on HDR Mode (i can see it in picture settings) when i play an HDR video (same with playing on Nvidia Shield 2019).

SteveFintel

When I enable HDR in Windows 11, the display always is in HDR mode whether the content is HDR or not. Kodi forces the display to SDR when showing SDR content. Playing HDR content in the Windows 11 client looks dull. When I play the same content from a Fire Stick 4K, the display switches to HDR when playing HDR content. Is this expected behavior?

generiq
22 hours ago, SteveFintel said:

When I enable HDR in Windows 11, the display always is in HDR mode whether the content is HDR or not. Kodi forces the display to SDR when showing SDR content. Playing HDR content in the Windows 11 client looks dull. When I play the same content from a Fire Stick 4K, the display switches to HDR when playing HDR content. Is this expected behavior?

That's more complicated than I want to explain, but don't compare different players. They all function differently and there is no general 'expected behavior'.

Referring specifically to the player that Theater uses. It defaults to d3d11. This is Microsoft, and the behavior you see is how Microsoft has designed it. Color management is performed at the window and not by the display. 

There are different APIs that can change this behavior. vulkan would be the main alternative. If the vulkan api is used, then the display should be switched  between SDR and HDR, and not color managed at the window.