Freezing every 15seconds when using TV

vreis

vreis

@Q-Droidit's a remote connection where the server has an up link of 20Mbs and the client is on a 1G fiber. I do have a set limit of 10Mbs because I don't want to use the entire bandwidth. So, yes it will transcode on purpose, but that should not be a problem correct ?

When I use  http://app.emby.media it works fine, no freezing at all.

@Lukethanks for replying, do you know when this new code will be released ? 

Currently my server is running 4.7.13.0

Thank you again.

GreatFlashMan
2 hours ago, Luke said:

The hosted web app has newer code that your direct web app will get with the upcoming 4.8 server release.

Most likely the difference is an updated third party lib.

I really really really hope this fixes it when this release comes out. It's something that has annoyed me since moving to emby. 

Why is it that the two android apps (normal and the TV version) have different symptoms though. As I said above the android version freezes, and the TV version plays perfect but refuses to play some channels (that the other will play and that play fine by all other means). 

Q-Droid

53 minutes ago, vreis said:

@Q-Droidit's a remote connection where the server has an up link of 20Mbs and the client is on a 1G fiber. I do have a set limit of 10Mbs because I don't want to use the entire bandwidth. So, yes it will transcode on purpose, but that should not be a problem correct ?

No, it should not be a problem with your hardware and you've seen that the newer version of the web app is more stable. However, streaming live TV remotely is more challenging  because of the real-time nature of the stream. Even if the newer web app is better that might not be the same for other apps. There is not much room for errors, lost packets, lost segments and transmission problems which make it harder to recover and resume. Streaming from files is much easier.  Yes, other products seem to handle this better and I hope Emby gets there too.

Edited by Q-Droid

Spaceboy
2 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

We have all supplied logs, and no idea if they have been looked at.

I still have 2 issues (interchangeable)

With the Android TV App

All channels will play, but suffer from stutters and freezes (this occurs also on the web app via any browser)

With the Android App (the one that is cross platform - TV and mobile)

TV Plays perfectly, but some channels or programmes refuse to play at all - they sit on a black screen and the progress bar shows nothing.

Now, we can all argue it's our setups, our network, the media server device itself, the HDHomerun/Happauge. Anything... But the tv viewing is perfect via Plex, via Live Channels, via the tuners apps, and also via the HDHomeruns web api. So, what is the common factor that has an issue? EMBY!

I would REALLY love to see this solved. We can submit as many logs as required to get this sorted, mine is in this topic as is @vreis. It's also great to hear that hundreds of users around the world have no issue with live tv, (not that I have seen any post that), but the fact remains that we have issues, there are issues, and we paid for this and would like to see them resolved. I understand the dev's do not have the devices (though even if they did - it may be the uk freeview streams only? Who knows), but anything that needs to reported back - we are happy to do that - perhaps you could even extend the debug data that emby creates from live tv, anything that can get this resolved. Please!

you're on beta branch. how does it work on stable?

GreatFlashMan
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

you're on beta branch. how does it work on stable?

same issue - that was partly the reason for testing beta. and to help with feedback (even though it's currently negative lol).

• 4 weeks later...
vreis

FYI: been running server version 4.8.0.39 beta for the past 2 days and have not experienced any freezing or any other video issues when using HW encoding.

Thanks for fixing the issue!

Edited by vreis
  • Thanks 1

GreatFlashMan
27 minutes ago, vreis said:

FYI: been running server version 4.8.0.39 beta for the past 2 days and have not experienced any freezing or any other video issues when using HW encoding.

Using hdhomerun?

I am on the same version and still experience stutters. 

vreis

@GreatFlashMan

yes, HDHomeRun Prime, FW 20230505 , Allow hardware transcoding is enabled, Enable hardware acceleration when available is set to "Yes"

Server side: Spectrum 300/20 Mbs ( I have the internet streaming bitrate limit set to 10Mbps, so there will be bandwidth for other things)

Client side: Fiber 1Gig, Android TV with Emby 2.0.83g

Works perfect so far.

• 2 months later...

Did anything changed in version 4.8.0.47 that affected the Live TV ?

After it took this update the picture freezing returned.

Please advise, thanks.

Any updates on this? 

FYI:  I installed Pl*x on the same server to rule out my setup and it works flawless. I would hate to be forced to move to another platform.

Please advise if this is something in your development roadmap to be fixed soon.

Thanks 

When I use  http://app.emby.media it works fine, no freezing at all.

@Lukethanks for replying, do you know when this new code will be released ? 

That's great. That means with the upcoming 4.8 release, all of the changes that you see in our hosted web app will be in your built-in web app.

I would just use the hosted web app for now until then.

• 3 months later...
Eddie
On 7/4/2023 at 3:18 PM, vreis said:

@vreis

By any chance do you remember which 4.8.0.39 beta you ran because there are lots of versions....
are you running a newer beta that streams TV fine?

Been using emby for years and TV has never worked well which didnt affect me since i dont watch TV but now i need it to work and its just not reliable, it works fine on a computer but streaming on a roku just craps out every now and then