Freezing every 15seconds when using TV

vreis

vreis

When transcoding using HW acceleration, picture freezes every ~15 seconds, sometime it freezes and never recovers.

If I turn off HW acceleration, it get better, but still freezes less often. I have attached the log files

Using Intel i7 with Graphics 530, 32Gigs RAM, and PNY 1Gig SSD

I am a long time Emby Premier member, please advise.

Thanks

freezeWithTV.zip

• Agree 1

GreatFlashMan

No help, but I have the same when HW acceleration is on. Turning off enables playback with the occasional stutters. This has been an issue for a long time though and not sure if it's limited to the playback device or the server itself.

Either way, it would be nice to see TV issues fixed - more so seeing it's a paid for feature, so you would expect a bit more time spent on it.

I did install PLEX to see if the issue persisted - it didn't - playback was perfect, as was it by adding the HDHomerun to the Android TV channels app.

vreis

@Lukethanks.....ok what's the magic sauce ?

Using the url above does not freeze, but when I connect directly it freezes.

GreatFlashMan

The odd thing is, using the "Emby for Android TV", I get lots of pausing and freezes. If I use the "Emby for Android" release, I get perfect playback (Though, there is a but).

Sadly, "Emby for Android" is not up to the standard of the TV variant, but that's by the by.

Now, I have test on both the Shield and on a Sony Smart (android/google) TV both with the same results. "Emby for Android" will play a channel perfect, but, not all channels (unlike the TV version). Some channels (UK Freeview) will go to start, and then do nothing, they just sit there. If this was fixed, I would certainly be happier.

I attach the server log. There is no ffmpeg log as it does not produce one.

I have tried with "Hardware Transcoding" off and on, with the same results.

embyserver (2).txt

I would LOVE to see an end to this annoying issue. The TV capabilities is a PAID part of Emby, and as such, and after such a long time since it was added, I would hope that more time was spent on perfecting it.

As i say, playback is perfect on Plex and Live Channels (on all channels), so the issue lies with the app as these channels play in the web browser (though not checked if they suffer the freezes of the TV app).

So, to sum up.

"Emby for Android" - perfect playback, but some channels refuse to start playback

"Emby for Android TV" - all channels will start playing, but will stutter (if HW encoding is off) and freeze totally (is HW encoding is on).

Q-Droid

Curious: what happens if you skip back once when the playback freezes or stutters? Does it play normally from then on or stutter and freeze again?

Re: HW transcoding - what is the HW in use, CPU/GPU?

GreatFlashMan
1 minute ago, Q-Droid said:

Re: HW transcoding - what is the HW in use, CPU/GPU?

quicksync

you can't skip back, only way to restart is exit the stream and start it again.

Q-Droid
3 minutes ago, GreatFlashMan said:

quicksync

you can't skip back, only way to restart is exit the stream and start it again.

What CPU/GPU model?

GreatFlashMan
10 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

What CPU/GPU model?

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900H with intel IRIS XE, much above what is needed.

Q-Droid
1 hour ago, GreatFlashMan said:

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900H with intel IRIS XE, much above what is needed.

Yes, definitely enough horsepower but worth knowing to eliminate as a factor.

GreatFlashMan
13 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Yes, definitely enough horsepower but worth knowing to eliminate as a factor.

The factor is emby. 

This stuttering and freezing has been mentioned many many times and no satisfactory solution has been post or created. 

It's rather frustrating. 

ITGuy1024

Is  your video playback quality set to auto or do you have it manually set to something?
If it's set to auto try to lower the quality settings until playback is reliable. 
I had to do this on some devices.

GreatFlashMan
10 hours ago, ITGuy1024 said:

Is  your video playback quality set to auto or do you have it manually set to something?
If it's set to auto try to lower the quality settings until playback is reliable. 
I had to do this on some devices.

Why would I have to? It's a much lower stream than any perfectly playable 4k or even 1080 stream. Also using the hd home run app or the URL results in perfect playback. I am also wired on 2.5gig

The issue lies solely with emby and just like the hoards of people mentioning this before, I am hoping that they take note and finally fix it. 

Edited by GreatFlashMan

vreis

I agree with @GreatFlashMan I should not have to pick playback streams.

I am surprise that no one from the Emby Dev team has been able to answer my question above, "What is the difference between a direct server connection and using http://app.emby.media" ?

Thanks

• Agree 1

GreatFlashMan
14 minutes ago, vreis said:

I am surprise that no one from the Emby Dev team has been able to answer my question above, "What is the difference between a direct server connection and using http://app.emby.media" ?

Thanks

surprised? hahaha. That's the norm.

it will end up with any of,

"Please send log files" (that many have sent before for the same issue)

"It's an issue your end"

"This issue is on the roadplan" (could be months, years, who knows)

It's not like it's common issue?

Oh look here...!

Edited by GreatFlashMan

Q-Droid

The information the devs are requesting and the changes they ask you to make is to narrow it down to the possible cause. That's really the only way to identify a problem they can't reproduce.

@vreis Freezing and stopping playback or more like a short pause/hiccup? Have you tried skipping back once when it does this?

• Like 1

Spaceboy
16 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

The factor is emby. 

This stuttering and freezing has been mentioned many many times and no satisfactory solution has been post or created. 

It's rather frustrating. 

we need to be clear and say that the factor is emby and you. this is working perfectly well for lots of users worldwide and in the UK. therefore you need to uncover the factors that are causing you the problem. the suggestions being made are intended to help you work out what that is

• Like 1

ITGuy1024
3 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

Why would I have to? It's a much lower stream than any perfectly playable 4k or even 1080 stream. Also using the hd home run app or the URL results in perfect playback. I am also wired on 2.5gig

The issue lies solely with emby and just like the hoards of people mentioning this before, I am hoping that they take note and finally fix it. 

To try and pin point the issue and help you.

vreis

@SpaceboyIt maybe true that is working worldwide, and folks they all have different hardware. I don't believe its working out of the box settings for any hardware configurations.

All I am asking here is some assistance on fixing the freezing issue with the hardware and logs I provided above.

I still did not get an explanation on why it works fine using  http://app.emby.media and not a direct connection to my server. 

Once this is answered, then I can take actions on my side to fix it.

Thanks 

Spaceboy
22 minutes ago, vreis said:

@SpaceboyIt maybe true that is working worldwide, and folks they all have different hardware. I don't believe its working out of the box settings for any hardware configurations.

All I am asking here is some assistance on fixing the freezing issue with the hardware and logs I provided above.

I still did not get an explanation on why it works fine using  http://app.emby.media and not a direct connection to my server. 

Once this is answered, then I can take actions on my side to fix it.

Thanks 

i didnt quote you. you raised a perfectly reasonable question

6 hours ago, vreis said:

Thanks

The hosted web app has newer code that your direct web app will get with the upcoming 4.8 server release.

Most likely the difference is an updated third party lib.

Q-Droid
On 5/29/2023 at 8:55 AM, vreis said:

When transcoding using HW acceleration, picture freezes every ~15 seconds, sometime it freezes and never recovers.

If I turn off HW acceleration, it get better, but still freezes less often. I have attached the log files

Using Intel i7 with Graphics 530, 32Gigs RAM, and PNY 1Gig SSD

I am a long time Emby Premier member, please advise.

Thanks

freezeWithTV.zip 50.82 kB · 6 downloads

The logs show limits on the bitrate forcing it to transcode. Is this for local or remote playback and why the limit?