Migrating 8 year old metadata folder

kkhan
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

kkhan

Need some guidance on migrating an 8 year old metadata folder to my new UNRAID server (from a Windows Server 2012).

What is the currently supported folder structure for metadata?  My current metadata folder is a mess as it is so old, e.g. I have musicartists as well as artists folders and musicgenres and MusicGenre (are these two even supporrted?) etc.  Once I know this, I can migrate the specific supported folders and discard the rest.  Have not decided yet whether to use the Backup/Restore plugin (which will give me a clean migration with none of the baggage from my current 8 year old install) or just do a manual migration (which is very fast (a few hours compared to days, see point 2 below).

Also in running some tests on the migration using the Backup/Restore plugin, I have noticed the following:

1. The Backup/Restore plugin does not restore the read marks on manually created TV Series (i.e. ones which do not have a web metadata provider reference).  This was as I suspected but is there a work around?
  2. My music media collection is so large that its is taking 3 days plus to scan all the music tracks (and then there is the photo negatives library etc!). Is there are anyway to speed this up.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. The Backup/Restore plugin does not restore the read marks on manually created TV Series (i.e. ones which do not have a web metadata provider reference).  This was as I suspected but is there a work around?

@kkhanHi, no there isn't, unless  you take your entire data folder from the old server to the new one. Given the age of it though, a fresh start might make some sense.

• Like 1

• Solution
  1. My music media collection is so large that its is taking 3 days plus to scan all the music tracks (and then there is the photo negatives library etc!). Is there are anyway to speed this up.

It's probing each track for media info. This can take some time, but subsequent scans should be faster. Scan times should also be improved in the upcoming 4.8 server release. Thanks.

• Like 1

kkhan

Thanks Luke.  I used the Backup/Restore plugin in the end for two reasons:

• As you said, given the age a fresh start made sense
  • I did try to move the entire data folder across but despite the fact that I was using UNC pathnames for portability, moving the data folder from a Windows file system to a linux file system (UNRAID) just did not work.  emby on UNRAID would not recognise library folder locations transferred from Windows even if they were UNC names.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...