How to delete .dll files for Security advisory 2023-05-25

mateuszkiljan

mateuszkiljan

How do I access the Emby server plugins on the Synology NAS? I am using MacOS and do not know how to access the plugins through the NAS and the installed Emby Server. Please help, I am trying to fix the Emby "manually stopped" issue.

FrostByte

Your going to need to SSH into your NAS using the command line Terminal (which should already be on your Mac) or Putty, or some GUI client such as iTerm or filezilla as suggested in your other thread.  Unfortunately, Synology File Station won't allow you to gain access to required folders on your NAS even as an Admin.

https://iterm2.com/
https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=osx

If all else fails there may be someone who can remote into your NAS if he's available.  However, you should really learn how to access your NAS in case of emergency

mateuszkiljan

I am a novice, I do not have any programming experience, using a NAS was something very new for me. My apologies for being so naive, this is all new to me, I do not wish to upset anyone.

FrostByte

Also, those instructions were obviously written by someone using Windows.

The folder you want is:

/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/plugins/configurations

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, mateuszkiljan said:

I am a novice, I do not have any programming experience, using a NAS was something very new for me. My apologies for being so naive, this is all new to me, I do not wish to upset anyone.

You can try doing this yourself.  The part about enabling SSH on your NAS will be the same as in the instructions I wrote for people using WinSCP.  Then you just need to pick a client and configure it to connect to your NAS.  You will probably need your Synology Admin account also.

Or, we can ask @Carloto PM you and maybe he can remote into your NAS.

FrostByte

If giving this a shot, then first thing you need to do is enable SSH on your NAS.  Everything else will be done on your Mac using which ever client you choose.

1. Open DSM Control Panel
  2. Click Terminal & SNMP
  3. Click Terminal tab
  4. Check "Enable SSH service"
  5. Click "Apply"

6.png

CamiHulet

Finally figured this out. Thanks a lot FrostByte, it was your resources that helped!

Two main threads were able to get me there.

Downloading and setting up WinSCP and NAS settings:

Creating permissions to delete trouble files through WinSCP:

• Like 1

mateuszkiljan

SSH enabled, admin password reset, NAS restarted. Will try Terminal to SSH into NAS. Hopefully I’ll be able to follow your instructions to clear the .dll files.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Okay, terminal will work.

Basically, do these steps in Terminal.  You will need to use an account with Admin privileges.  The port will be the one you used when you enabled SSH on your NAS

• ssh yourNASusername@yourNASip -p yourSSHport
  • sudo -i
  • cd /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/plugins
  • dir
  • del the files you need to

• Thanks 1

FrostByte

I've got to care for my wife now, but the rest should be fairly simple if you're at all familiar with command line interfaces and navigating around.  If you need help tonight I'm sure Luke or someone else can walk you through deleting those files it they're there.  Good luck

• Like 1

Daruuk
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Also, those instructions were obviously written by someone using Windows.

The folder you want is:

/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/plugins/configurations

So I was able to get all the way to @appdata/EmbyServer with WinScp but whenever I try and access any further folders I get this error:

Command 'cd "plugins"'
failed with return code 1 and the following error message.
-sh: line 38: cd: plugins: Permission denied

I assume this has to do with step 1 from your WINSCP tutorial, but I set up the task scheduler code and ran it before logging in.

What am I missing?

fitzbew

I got bit by this and I was able to get Emby running again by deleting the stuff called out in the security bulletin..thanks
How did this happen?
If I am running 4.7.12.0-704071200 am I patched? It's fixed?
Thanks

seanbuff
17 minutes ago, fitzbew said:

If I am running 4.7.12.0-704071200 am I patched? It's fixed?

Yep, you're good.

• Like 1

FrostByte
6 hours ago, Daruuk said:

So I was able to get all the way to @appdata/EmbyServer with WinScp but whenever I try and access any further folders I get this error:

Command 'cd "plugins"'
failed with return code 1 and the following error message.
-sh: line 38: cd: plugins: Permission denied

I assume this has to do with step 1 from your WINSCP tutorial, but I set up the task scheduler code and ran it before logging in.

What am I missing?

This is probably because of steps 2 and 3 didn't complete.  The WinSCP logon process can't answer the prompt after doing 'sudo -i' so you need to stop DSM from prompting or you won't have access.

FrostByte

Or, step 6 which tells WinSCP to use elevated access by executing the sudo -i command when starting.

• Thanks 1

mateuszkiljan

Massive props to @FrostByte, everything is working. Again, if I have not said it before, thank you for all of your patients and help.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, mateuszkiljan said:

Massive props to @FrostByte, everything is working. Again, if I have not said it before, thank you for all of your patients and help.

Whoop!  Glad to hear you're up and running.

• Like 1

rbjtech

May i also suggest once resolved, the SSH service is disabled/removed - or if you plan to keep it as a 'backdoor' account - then use a decent complex password - or better still proper ssh keys..  And I think it goes without saying - if you do have it enabled, ensure it is not accessable from the internet.   SSH/SCP/SFTP (tcp 22) is one of the most probed ports out there ..

• Like 1

FrostByte

Enabling Autoblock and changing the port are a couple other things you can do also on your NAS.

• Like 1