Question as to why you use Kodi

sross44

monkeylove

I like the smart playlist feature in Kodi, although I'll try the plugin for Emby one of these days.

Also, I try to tweak the audio.

Edited by monkeylove

js28194

EMBY SERVER - Last i7 that supported Windows 7, 32GB RAM, Unlimted Storage :), NextPVR v5, 3 HD Homeruns (2 legacy OTA, 1 newer HDHR prepping for ATSC3.0) total of 10 tuners on the network, and the key ingredient is Nvidia GTX 1050 ti, with MODIFIED drivers for in theory, 28 simultaneous transcoding threads for remote clients if needed.

Along with that, ImDISK to create a 8GB RAM Drive for transcoding temp location.

Front ends, all the same, NVIDIA shields, all with Kodi 18.9, all with the same FLIRC adapters, all rooms with the same Harmony 700 remotes, all with the same Kodi mappings so every remote works in every room.

The key feature is allowing the playback of video / live tv in the background while browsing libraries and navigating menus in Kodi.  I know this sounds dumb, but it is key for family, not to have to stop what is going on while surfing.  Also, the equivalent feature "auto-tune channel" from back in the day on live TV.  Believe the script is called KNSwitch where I can invoke the context menu in the live tv guide, move forward 3 hours for a game / match / whatever and the system will autotune to the channel.  Super handy.  Plus al the wonderful eye candy that comes with Kodi, weather backgrounds during seasons, rotating backdrops, disc, icons for content. Can't go wrong, but super expensive hobby.

Forgot to mention, in Kodi main menu, PROGRAMS - ANDROID APPS, right-click on APP and save to favorites, then under "Skin Settings" Create a new menu such as SPORTS, then goto LEFT, and add ANDROID Apps as a SUB menu, such as NFL APP, MLB, ESPN and even EMBY APP (when connecting to a remote EMBY SERVER :).  All are accessible from the same main menu. Then you can hid the PROGRAMS menu and never have to see that again. One-stop shop.  Nice clean, elegant.

Edited by js28194

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
monkeylove

Smart playlists.

For audio transcoding, though (I've to use an optical audio cable), I let the Emby server do that, as the audio is still louder using Emby.