Using Synology NAS Emby Server but can't retrieve lost password

Peter2001
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Peter2001

Hello guys,

New to the forum and new to using Synology Nas Emby server, I'm having trouble resetting my existing password. When I try to log in to my Emby account, it keeps telling me the password is incorrect, and when I try to reset my password, this message shows up as follows:

The following file has been created on your server and contains instructions on how to proceed: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/passwordreset.txt

I have looked everywhere from my NAS and can't find anything related to this message, so what should I do guys? Please give me a hint or two, thank you so much in advance and have a great weekend.

Hi, please take a look at this and let us know if it helps:

Thanks.

Peter2001

Hi Luke, Thank you for your response, however it doesn't work for me somehow and I'm using the latest version of MacOS. Is there any other way I may have a go with? Thank you and have a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 7:31 AM, Peter2001 said:

Hi Luke, Thank you for your response, however it doesn't work for me somehow and I'm using the latest version of MacOS. Is there any other way I may have a go with? Thank you and have a good one.

@Peter2001 can you please explain what you mean by doesn’t work? Thanks.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:31 AM, Peter2001 said:

Hi, you need to make sure you are supplying the admin username. If you supply a different name, the system won't tell you this for security reasons.
It will tell you it has cleared the password but it hasn't as it's the wrong account.

Check your log file.

Peter2001
3 hours ago, Carlo said:

Hi, you need to make sure you are supplying the admin username. If you supply a different name, the system won't tell you this for security reasons.
It will tell you it has cleared the password but it hasn't as it's the wrong account.

Check your log file.

Hi Carlo, thank you for your reply, but what do you mean by making sure to supply the admin username? and how exactly I'm going to do? Sorry I'm new to NAS and new to Emby.

Peter2001
22 hours ago, Luke said:

@Peter2001 can you please explain what you mean by doesn’t work? Thanks.

Hi Luke, thank you for your reply, I have followed the instructions (first half, until I need to have a Windows PC to do the rest job) from the post you linked me with, maybe I'm too dumb but it didn't do anything nor reset the password. Thank you for your info, is there anyway I can reset emby and start over? I tried to uninstall emby and reinstall, but it still asks me the log in and password.

Peter2001
13 minutes ago, Carlo said:

Check out this article from our knowledge base:

https://emby.media/support/articles/Admin-Password-Reset.html

The account name you created when setting up the system will be the admin account.

Hi Carlo, thank you for your reply. Followed the instructions from the link you provided. Please kindly see the attached file, I can't find the mentioned path or file. What do I do?

emby forgot password.pdf

Edited by Peter2001

• Solution

Hang on.  Did you create the first account as "admin"?  Or did you use something like "Peter"?
You don't need to answer that publicly, but this be the account to reset the password for.

You need to SSH into the box and go super user to access the file.

I wrote up a mini tutorial showing how to do this.

In your case after doing a sudo -i
type or cut and paste the following, then hit enter

cat /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/passwordreset.txt

Bookmark this page:
https://emby.media/support/articles/Synology-NAS.html

Peter2001
10 hours ago, Carlo said:

Hang on.  Did you create the first account as "admin"?  Or did you use something like "Peter"?
You don't need to answer that publicly, but this be the account to reset the password for.

You need to SSH into the box and go super user to access the file.

I wrote up a mini tutorial showing how to do this.

In your case after doing a sudo -i
type or cut and paste the following, then hit enter

cat /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/passwordreset.txt

Bookmark this page:
https://emby.media/support/articles/Synology-NAS.html

Hi Carlo, thanks a million, it works like a charm. Removed the old password and reset my password successfully without any drama this time. Thank you again and have a great great day.

• Like 1

Awesome,

If you don't mind me asking, was there a key piece of information that specifically helped?

If so, I'd like to update/improve our knowledge base article(s) to make this easier to understand!

Thanks,
Carlo

Peter2001
4 hours ago, Carlo said:

Awesome,

If you don't mind me asking, was there a key piece of information that specifically helped?

If so, I'd like to update/improve our knowledge base article(s) to make this easier to understand!

Thanks,
Carlo

Sure, the critical info you provided was two parts for my situation, as below:

1. Activate the admin account ( I have already turned the SSH on previously)

2. The sudo -i and "cat /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/passwordreset.txt": this step allows me to be able to read the reset code and actually reset my Emby password

Hope my answers meets your need :)

perfect thanks

I updated the SSH Tutorial for Synology with a couple additional examples including how to view the passwordreset.txt file.

Edited by Carlo