Does anybody know the limitations of the Samsung Tizen video support

Derek Webb

Derek Webb

Not sure where to put this.  And can't figure it out myself.  After recently moving my Emby server to a NAS, I've started experiencing a few problems.  The last one turned out to be a simple problem with subtitles.  Now, I played a file on my TV, it stuttered and was pixelated every five to ten seconds.  Always at the same points in the video.  I played it directly on my computer it worked fine.  I tried it through emby on my computer, with sub-titles, same thing.  I turned off sub-titles on my computer, worked perfectly.  So I assumed it was a new subtitle issue.  I tried it on the TV, still pixelated at the same points.  I have looked at emby server on my computer, it is direct play so this is not a transcoding issue.  I copied the file to a usb, plugged it into the TV and tried playing it without emby, again, pixelated at the same points.  So it is a TV issue, not emby.  But it works on my computer, so it is not the file.  Are there codecs not supported through emby on Samsung TV, that are supported through emby on a PC?  Any other explanation for this?  It is an MKV file, 4K, H.2656 E-AC3 codecs.  If Samsung doesn't support this, what are my options for future downloads so I can avoid putting unwatchable files on my server in the future.

SamES

You need to find you model here to determine the model group TV Model Groups | Samsung Developers

Then you can lookup the model group here to provide the video specs (select your correct year on the left hand side) 2023 TV Video Specifications | Samsung Developers

However, it probably won't give you the detail you require.  You can post the full media specs here and someone might be able to spot an issue. 

How many subtitle and audio tracks does the file have?  More than about 25 will cause an issue

Derek Webb

Looked at your pages.  My TV falls under 18TV_Premium, so the specs look like they should support the file format and codec.  But do the subtitle tracks cause issues even if you aren't playing any of them.  I took a look, one video, one audio, 34 subtitle.  I guess I could remux it and remove all the subtitle tracks that are in languages I'll never want or need, but seems like a lot of effort, and it had playback issues even when I said no subtitles.

• Like 1

SamES
7 hours ago, Derek Webb said:

Looked at your pages.  My TV falls under 18TV_Premium, so the specs look like they should support the file format and codec.  But do the subtitle tracks cause issues even if you aren't playing any of them.  I took a look, one video, one audio, 34 subtitle.  I guess I could remux it and remove all the subtitle tracks that are in languages I'll never want or need, but seems like a lot of effort, and it had playback issues even when I said no subtitles.

Yes, even without playing the tracks it will cause issues.  You really need to remux to remove unused tracks.  The quickest way is to use something like MkvToolnix (if it's an mkv file) and just select the video, audio, subtitle and chapter tracks that your need.  It will rewrite the file with only the selected tracks.  No conversion required so no loss in quality and it will be as quick as it can write the file to disk.

• Like 1