Emby server stopping/hanging/killed

Sky12016

Sky12016

Hello fellow embyers!

I recently upgraded my Rockstor installation from Centos to OPENSUSE underlying OS.

Everything went smoothly until I fired up Emby and set up my libraries. Ever so often since, Emby stops responding causing hangups and problems to the machine in general. At first I thought it had something to do with the NextPVR plugin so I disabled it. But the issues remain. I get random lockups and the web ui does not respond. In the end emby-server is killed by linux and systemctl status shows:

systemctl status emby-server
× emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: failed (Result: signal) since Tue 2023-05-09 00:04:00 EEST; 45s ago
    Process: 25675 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=KILL)
   Main PID: 25675 (code=killed, signal=KILL)

May 08 23:50:06 RockstorNAS emby-server[25675]: Info App: SyncRepository Initialize taking write lock
May 08 23:50:06 RockstorNAS emby-server[25675]: Info App: SyncRepository Initialize write lock taken
May 08 23:50:06 RockstorNAS emby-server[25675]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManagerEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0029687 seconds
May 08 23:50:06 RockstorNAS emby-server[25675]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint
May 08 23:50:06 RockstorNAS emby-server[25675]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0012179 seconds
May 08 23:50:06 RockstorNAS emby-server[25675]: Info App: Starting entry point EmbyServer.Windows.LoopUtilEntryPoint
May 08 23:50:06 RockstorNAS emby-server[25675]: Info App: Entry point completed: EmbyServer.Windows.LoopUtilEntryPoint. Duration: 5.47E-05 seconds
May 08 23:50:06 RockstorNAS emby-server[25675]: Info App: All entry points have started
May 09 00:04:00 RockstorNAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=9/KILL
May 09 00:04:00 RockstorNAS systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

I now have stopped and disabled emby-server altogether and my server is rock solid.
Mind you that when I was running Centos, everything was smooth sailing!

Please help me troubleshoot this. I am far from being linux-savvy but I do read and follow instructions accordingly!

I am attaching the latest log just before the problem happened which shows errors from nextpvr (among others) as I was testing things to figure out what's happening.

Thanks!

embyserver-63819186604.txt

Hi, I really don't see anything obvious here. There was a transcoding session going on. Perhaps that was consuming a fair amount of system resources? I don't think it's so much about running emby server vs. not running emby server, and more about what the server is doing at the time of the problem.

Sky12016

Hi Luke.

I honestly have no idea where to start looking for this.

You think I should address the guys over at Rockstor?

The only thing I know for sure is that Emby was doing a media scanning as this is a new installation with a lot of files.

Sky12016

Fresh install yes.

No, I didn't try the rock-on option. I went straight to the installation of emby.

You think I should uninstall and go the rock-on way?

Q-Droid

It's up to you. I was just curious if it was rock-on (docker) or rpm install. You said it has a lot of files to scan and from what I can tell the Emby server was killed.  How much RAM on your box?

You could check the system message logs to see if anything shows up. 

grep -i emby /var/log/messages

and/or 

journalctl |grep -i emby

Sky12016

Hello again.

To bring you up to speed and hopefully give some insight for anyone facing similar issues:

First up; I uninstalled Emby and installed again using the rockon service within Rockstor.

Things were looking good. Up until I added a library containing photos a videos. This library is around 220GB. I selected 'Home photos and videos' for the library content in Emby server settings and then everything started happening again. Lockups, server hanging and server non-responsive in general. I had to hard reboot the machine, entered Emby dashboard, removed the said library and put it back in but selecting 'Mixed content' this time.

So far everything looks fine! Mind you; this is a server with 32GB of RAM!

All in all; I don't know whether having Emby installed as Rockon is making a difference, but this setup serves me well, so I am sticking with it.

The only thing I am still unsure of is how do I update Emby now that is installed as a Rockon? Is it different from just following the instructions at https://emby.media/linux-server.html ?

Thanks for your attention.

Q-Droid

I think there were known issues when scanning very high volume of photos and home video types of media. @Luke would have to comment because I don't know if they've been fixed in recent stable or beta releases.

The rockons can be a bit of a pain to update and I don't know if Rockstor has changed this when they migrated to opensuse. You have to uninstall and reinstall the rockon to update as that was the only time it would execute a docker pull/run. The pain part is if you have many shares to add to the config when you install the rockon. If only one or two then it's not a big deal. I'm familiar with the CentOS based Rockstor and don't know what has changed since.

It has been identified that certain photo files can cause the scan to hang in 4.7. If you need immediate relief you can try the 4.8 beta channel, or remove your photo library from Emby Server until 4.8 goes stable.

Sky12016

Hello,

I added the photo library as 'Mixed content', hoping to avoid the scanning.

Unfortunately; this way when I browse the library I can only see (and play) the video files. The photo files are not visible/available. Is this normal behaviour?

Is there a way to add a library and disable the scanning of it? When you select 'Home videos & photos' for content there is an option 'Enable photos'. What happens if you turn this off?

I am in no hurry for 'immediate relief'. I can wait for 4.8 to go stable.

Cheers!

Sky12016
On 5/15/2023 at 5:45 PM, Luke said:

Hi, yes photos are not supported in mixed content at this time.

Hello again!

From your non-response to the rest of my questions I gather that I have to wait for the next version to become stable before attempting anything.

No worries!

Thanks guys!

• Thanks 1