Embedded SRT subtitles not displaying

rexerm
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

rexerm
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Okay, I've confirmed that removing the "Forced" flag on that track solves the issue.  With that flag, the Roku player simply doesn't see the track...

Ah, Roku being goofy.  Well, let me say I do appreciate that Emby pays attention to these flags, as, clearly, many other apps struggle with them.

pwhodges

If the file is MKV, the header editor in MKVToolNix; if it's not MKV, then the multiplexer in the same program to convert to MKV and select the required flags.
https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

For multiple MKV files, JMKVPropEdit provides a simple batch interface to the MKVToolNix header editor: 
https://github.com/BrunoReX/jmkvpropedit/releases

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoomerGamer62 said:

Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you remove the "Forced" Flag?

As pw said, I used mkvtoolnixGui to do it.  It is a few second operation.

BoomerGamer62
4 hours ago, pwhodges said:

If the file is MKV, the header editor in MKVToolNix; if it's not MKV, then the multiplexer in the same program to convert to MKV and select the required flags.
https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

For multiple MKV files, JMKVPropEdit provides a simple batch interface to the MKVToolNix header editor: 
https://github.com/BrunoReX/jmkvpropedit/releases

Paul

I was actually asking about .ts files that are created from live recordings using Emby.  These recordings have embedded subtitles.  The subtitles appear just fine when using the Emby server through the web browser so I know the subtitles are there.  They just dont work with Roku -- which I know you have already covered.  Also doesnt work using the Emby app on my Android phone by the way.

While I understand this may be a Roku problem, seems like a lot of hoops to jump through just to get subtitles to work on Roku.  I have a set up to try to grab external subtitle files too, but those arent always available.

I saw mentioned to try "Playback Correction", but Im having trouble find that too.  Is that an Emby setting, or was that in this MKV tool you were suggesting?

30 minutes ago, BoomerGamer62 said:

I saw mentioned to try "Playback Correction", but Im having trouble find that too

Cog menu during playback on the Roku.

• Thanks 1

BoomerGamer62

I was actually able to use handbrake to remove the forced flag on .ts recordings:

handbrakecli -f av_mp4 -s 1 -i input.ts -o output1.mp4

where input.ts is the filename of the .ts stream and output1.mp4 is the filename of your mp4 output. It was mentioned before that handbrake didnt worked, but it did work for me.

I made sure I was using the latest version of handbrake.  There is also a GUI version if you arent good with command line interfaces.

Also, if you would like to extract the subtitles from a .mp4 file, ffmpeg will do that for you:

ffmpeg -hide_banner -i import.mp4 -map 0:s:0? import.srt

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
DigitalRebel

I guess I am seeing the same issue being discussed here and have a question for the Emby team. 

Rather than changing the "forced" flag, is there a way simply force re-encoding only for these Roku devices (Custom profile?) until they fix it on their end?  This has worked in the past on these Roku devices and I really don't want to have to change this flag across my entire media library.  (Although I would guess I only have 5-10% that have them)  I know this as several of the Marvel movies which I have watched with my family have some "foreign parts" which I have included the SRT subtitles in the MKV file and did set them as "default" and "forced" to ensure they show up when playing worked fine in the past.

These flags\method works with VLC (standalone), Emby in the browser, Samsung TV with Emby app ... but doesn't work with Roku Premier and Sharp Roku 4k TV.

17 hours ago, DigitalRebel said:

I guess I am seeing the same issue being discussed here and have a question for the Emby team. 

Rather than changing the "forced" flag, is there a way simply force re-encoding only for these Roku devices (Custom profile?) until they fix it on their end?  This has worked in the past on these Roku devices and I really don't want to have to change this flag across my entire media library.  (Although I would guess I only have 5-10% that have them)  I know this as several of the Marvel movies which I have watched with my family have some "foreign parts" which I have included the SRT subtitles in the MKV file and did set them as "default" and "forced" to ensure they show up when playing worked fine in the past.

These flags\method works with VLC (standalone), Emby in the browser, Samsung TV with Emby app ... but doesn't work with Roku Premier and Sharp Roku 4k TV.

Right if there’s not going to be any movement from Roku to resolve this then we’ll have to think of something to workaround it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
CyberManX
On 8/7/2023 at 9:56 AM, Luke said:

Right if there’s not going to be any movement from Roku to resolve this then we’ll have to think of something to workaround it.

I've started running into this issue as I like to use the default and force flag when it comes to foreign languages being used in my media. Do you know if Emby plans to address? Or we just need to wait until Roku resolves the issue as pretty much all our TVs rely on Roku at this point.

45 minutes ago, CyberManX said:

I've started running into this issue as I like to use the default and force flag when it comes to foreign languages being used in my media. Do you know if Emby plans to address? Or we just need to wait until Roku resolves the issue as pretty much all our TVs rely on Roku at this point.

The problem is we’d have to force transcoding which many will not like. But yes it is possible.