Embedded SRT subtitles not displaying

rexerm
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

rexerm

Streaming Stick 4K+ on an LG C2. Embedded SRT (aka, plain text) subtitles won't show up, but external SRT files are fine.  In the attached transcoding logs:

--first I played the file with the embedded SRT on the Roku (direct play, did not display subtitles)

--second I played the file with the external SRT on the Roku (direct play, displayed fine)

--third I played the file with the embedded SRT on the LG Emby app (transcoded, displayed fine)

Files I used for testing can be found in here:

https://mega.nz/folder/Suw3CBhB#7hkGw18Q0aGqI4Qk29Foyg

ffmpeg-transcode-30f908a4-0214-48cb-99f4-31ee602eb6d9_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-cd1f7ce0-aa33-49ff-a511-70318d7e878a_1.txt

embyserver.txt

Edited by rexerm

Hi, please attach the corresponding emby server log as well. thanks.

rexerm
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, please attach the corresponding emby server log as well. thanks.

Whoops, edited to add that file.

pwhodges

Your file has both default and forced flags on the embedded subtitle stream.  I observed only yesterday subtitles not being played with those settings - removing the forced flag fixed it.

It's a pain, as HandBrake currently sets the forced flag as well when you select default.

Paul

seanbuff
34 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Your file has both default and forced flags on the embedded subtitle stream.  I observed only yesterday subtitles not being played with those settings.

I have plenty of media with both those flags set and have not seen an issue. Which client app?

pwhodges

Server, as all my subtitles get burnt in at present - but I'd have to do more experiments to discount other things before making a real report. 

Paul

4 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Your file has both default and forced flags on the embedded subtitle stream

The Roku player is very picky about these flags.  If you remove the "forced" flag, does the subtitle show properly?  Also, if you use "Playback Correction" does the subtitle show up?

rexerm
1 hour ago, ebr said:

The Roku player is very picky about these flags.  If you remove the "forced" flag, does the subtitle show properly?  Also, if you use "Playback Correction" does the subtitle show up?

I actually want the "forced" flag, as that's how I've flagged all of my files that contain subtitles (and I've got the "only forced subtitles" setting set on the server).

I did test using mkvtoolnix to remove the "default" flag header entirely from the file and just leave "forced," but no change there.  I also tested on the other Roku in the house connected to a cheap 1080p Insignia TV and it is also not display the subtitles.  Anything else with the "forced" flag (and "default" flag, for that matter) will play ok... but all those are forced to transcode due to being image-based subs.  It's only the embedded SRTs that don't get through.

Strangely, I embedded SRTs back in the day as Plex on Roku will only direct play if the SRT is embedded and not external. Unfortunately, I don't have a list of what those files were to un-embed them.

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Also, if you use "Playback Correction" does the subtitle show up?

rexerm
40 minutes ago, ebr said:

Also, if you use "Playback Correction" does the subtitle show up?

Ah, yes, it actually does.  Have not used this before -- what does this setting do?

image.png.961c8609c74ed202716a0c64ec5068b1.png

Without changing anything in your media and leaving both the default and forced flags set your file plays with subtitles for me on my Roku without doing anything. The subtitles automatically show. I went and removed the default flag and created a new remux. That new remux also shows the subtitles Automatically. I cannot make it fail without turning them to None (OFF) they turn off. Turn them back on just fine.

image.png.fd82a25ce67f1942cd5ccddf27f925e8.png

The screenshot cannot show the video layer. But you can clearly see the stats for nerds shows direct play and those subtitles are showing on your media.

What is the model number of your Roku? Which firmware is running on that Roku?

What settings do you have in Emby regarding subtitles for that user?

image.png.e2ce117ddb47eb368bf536104727f3d2.png

Is yours set similar?

44 minutes ago, rexerm said:

Ah, yes, it actually does.  Have not used this before -- what does this setting do?

The video player will react as if it has encountered a problem and simulate a playback error. The response will try to recover playback in the best means possible. It will also remove the ability for the Roku to perform the "Format Detection" (this will use HLS) and will instead choose the video, audio, and subtitle streams to make available to the Roku (using an M3U8).

Edited by speechles

rexerm
41 minutes ago, speechles said:

What is the model number of your Roku? Which firmware is running on that Roku?

What settings do you have in Emby regarding subtitles for that user?

Is yours set similar?

It's a Streaming Stick 4K+ running the latest update (12.0.0, build 4181).  My sub settings are thus:

image.png.adeed13a03fc0031dc426923cc704f23.png

pwhodges

With those exact settings I see the same behaviour on my HiSense Roku TV with firmware 12.

The details screen showed the subtitles selected, but they did not appear.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

rexerm

Out of curiosity, I switched the subtitle settings to match speechles' (any / no / checked), but it had no effect (other than manually having to select the embedded track).

The Emby (cc icon) subtitle selector works with both embedded and external subtitles. The * invokes the Roku built-in subtitle handler. The Roku built-in subtitle handler (using *) only works with embedded. Their built-in subtitle handler be giving us grief on firmware 12 and they (Roku) changed/broke something.. 😕

If you press * while the video plays and you use the Roku built-it subtitle handler does it show the subtitle which you can select and when selected can you actually see them on screen?

Edited by speechles

rexerm
25 minutes ago, speechles said:

The Emby (cc icon) subtitle selector works with both embedded and external subtitles. The * invokes the Roku built-in subtitle handler. The Roku built-in subtitle handler (using *) only works with embedded. Their built-in subtitle handler be giving us grief on firmware 12 and they changed something or broke something.. 😕

If you press * while the video plays and you use the Roku built-it subtitle handler does it show the subtitle which you can select and when selected can you actually see them on screen?

The * menu does not find any subtitles... but it doesn't find them for ASS / DVD / BD subtitles, either, on other movies. However, this particular file defaults to "Always On" under the Closed Captions section in here, whereas the others default to "Off." Changing this to Off doesn't help, though.

pwhodges

Clicking * just brings up the Roku menu which allows selection of "always on" - which I have enabled; as far as I know the Roku never shows a list of subs to be selected (but I may never have tried when there was more than one...). 

In this case Emby shows the subtitle as selected, but it doesn't play.

Paul

17 hours ago, rexerm said:

The * menu does not find any subtitles

And that's why they aren't showing up.  If the Roku player cannot see them then it cannot display them.  The question is why can't the Roku see these subs...?

rexerm
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

And that's why they aren't showing up.  If the Roku player cannot see them then it cannot display them.  The question is why can't the Roku see these subs...?

Well, but it doesn't see anything for other items where the subtitles display OK...

1 hour ago, rexerm said:

Well, but it doesn't see anything for other items where the subtitles display OK...

Are those all transcoding and burning in the subs?

rexerm
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Are those all transcoding and burning in the subs?

They were indeed.  Can't remember if I checked the one with ASS subs, though.  Not sure if those transcode or not.

Can you try turning on the subtitles using the Emby buttons in the video player rather than the * menu?

rexerm
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try turning on the subtitles using the Emby buttons in the video player rather than the * menu?

Starting with the subtitles off and turning them on through Emby's CC button doesn't have an effect.

5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you provide a problem video for testing?

In my original post, you'll find a link containing the file I'm using for testing.

• Thanks 1

• Solution

Okay, I've confirmed that removing the "Forced" flag on that track solves the issue.  With that flag, the Roku player simply doesn't see the track...