49 replies to this topic

#21 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157148 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

i would try adding the file to your wmc video library and try playing it from the extender directly from wmc.

#22 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:45 PM

i would try adding the file to your wmc video library and try playing it from the extender directly from wmc.

Okay, I will use the "play to" function of WMP to sling it to the Xbox and also open it using the Xbox Video app directly.

#23 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

Pictures are here since this forum won't let me upload any more attachments: https://onedrive.liv...7E855A57E!14248

When I add the file to the WMC library it plays great on the Xbox 360, nice clear video like on the HTPC.  I also tried accessing it through Plex Media Server on the Xbox 360 and again it played great.  I then opened up WMC on the Xbox 360, entered MB3, and played the same movie and the picture was bad.  

I am also curious why under 'Select Source' (see photo.jpg) on the Xbox 360 Video Player the Media Browser server isn't listed?  Just the shared folders on the HTPC-i3 (HTPC-i3: HTPC-3) and the Plex Server (Plex Media Server: HTPC-i3) are listed.  I have DLNA setup in the MBS Configurator (see sharing 4.png).

Could it be a access/permission issue?

I currently share the root of the D:\ drive as '\Data' on the network, the D:\ drive is a 7TB tRAID array of 3 individual discs (see sharing.png).  I do not implicitly share D:\Movies (see sharing 2.png) but it should be accessible because the whole drive is shared, right?  Obviously MBS/MBC see the movies how it is currently set up (see sharing 3.png).

Would implicitly sharing D:\Movies and changing the Media Location in MBS to \\HTPC-i3\Movies make a difference?

Thanks, guys!

#24 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52082 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

You can put pictures right in your posts:  How to Create & Post a Screenshot

Try changing the sharing setup how you suggested.  Seems like an unlikely whim but it is worth a shot because I cannot explain why the playback would be different.  We are simply asking WMC to play the file.

#25 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

I shared D:\Movies directly as \\HTPC-i3\Movies and changed it in MBS, let it rescan and restarted MBS.  Video quality is still bad on the Xbox 360s.... 

Only thing else I can think of is to uninstall both MBS and MBC and do clean installs?

#26 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52082 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

Only thing else I can think of is to uninstall both MBS and MBC and do clean installs?

I don't believe that will have an effect.

The server isn't involved in this at all and all MBC is doing is telling WMC to play the item.  I'm stumped.

#27 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:07 PM

Me too.

Wtv files in 'Recorded TV' play fine also. So I don't think it is WMC.

#28 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157148 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Okay, I will use the "play to" function of WMP to sling it to the Xbox and also open it using the Xbox Video app directly.

Was this ever tried?

#29 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

Yes.  I also got the new network switch and the network tuner in WMC (on the extender) is maxed out with a good signal.

When accessing the movie from the Xbox Video App the movie plays with clear video, no stutters.

When using the 'Play To' function on the HTPC to push the movie to the Xbox, it again plays clearly, however it would pause a split second every 10 seconds or so (buffering?).

When I access the movie through the MB3 app inside WMC on the Xbox extender the video quality is still very poor (blocky).  No stuttering or buffering, though.

Also, how come MBS does't show up under available servers in the Xbox Video App?  Only 'HTPC-i3: HTPC-i3' and 'Plex Media Server: HTPC-i3' show up.  DLNA is turned on.

Edited by Wilky13, 03 November 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#30 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52082 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

Are you using the custom player interface?  Any zoom setting?

Have you done anything with the over/under scan settings?

What happens if you turn off the custom interface?

• Wilky13 likes this

#31 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157148 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yes.  I also got the new network switch and the network tuner in WMC (on the extender) is maxed out with a good signal.

When accessing the movie from the Xbox Video App the movie plays with clear video, no stutters.

When using the 'Play To' function on the HTPC to push the movie to the Xbox, it again plays clearly, however it would pause a split second every 10 seconds or so (buffering?).

When I access the movie through the MB3 app inside WMC on the Xbox extender the video quality is still very poor (blocky).  No stuttering or buffering, though.

Also, how come MBS does't show up under available servers in the Xbox Video App?  Only 'HTPC-i3: HTPC-i3' and 'Plex Media Server: HTPC-i3' show up.  DLNA is turned on.

Ok, but please go back and test exactly how I asked. Do not use the Xbox Video app. Set it up with the WMC video library and try to play with WMC on the extender.

Comparing it to the Xbox app is not a fair comparison because the Xbox app has seen more updates over the years. I anticipate you will see the same thing with the WMC video library which will be an indication that it is not Media Browser-related. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can help you set it up.

#32 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

I opened the file using the 'Movies' section of WMC on the extender. The quality was poor like with MBC. Does this help?

#33 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52082 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

I opened the file using the 'Movies' section of WMC on the extender. The quality was poor like with MBC. Does this help?

Yep.  That means it has nothing to do with MB.  For some reason, the extender playback is being dumbed down by WMC or the xbox itself.

I'm not sure what to tell you to try but there must be some sort of configuration or something to solve this.  I'll call in our resident 360 super-user and see if he has any ideas... @BAS?

#34 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

Okay, thanks. I'll also start a thread at TGB to see if anyone has an idea.

#35 BAS OFFLINE  

BAS

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 547 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'm running Windows 7 X64 fresh install, LAV Filters and this problem is noticeable for me as well. All I can say is no registry tweaking, no codec tweaking has been able to get these to look as good as they do on the pc. WMC always transcodes these files, the problem is their transcoding is just horrid. A few things to check to at least help the situation.

1. Make sure you have run the Windows Experience Index.

2. Check your network adapter settings on the hosting computer, make sure Flow Control is Enabled.

3. Also in the network adapter settings area it is recommend by Microsoft to change your Speed & Duplex setting from Auto Negotiation to 100 Mbps Full Duplex as the 360 only supports 100 Mbps traffic. I leave mine on Auto Negotiation as i have to many other things coming through this network port to limit it but you should notice a change in video performance as well as scrolling performance on the 360.

I know its not top priority and the fact that there is going to be a official 360 and Xbox One apps from the Media Browser team it becomes even more invalid but I will state that I would easily be willing to drop $15 to $20 on a transcode plugin for MB Classic that taps into the transcoding capabilities of MB Server. This would also avoid lock ups or problems and allow extender users to use the new custom player interface. The current playback transcoding issues under WMC from Microsoft is what constantly make the box lock up. 360's are about to hit the $99 price point here soon and can already be snagged at the price point used. Unfortunately I don't have a solution to enjoy the GUI beauty of MB Classic on extender while enjoying the video playback you would get from the stock Xbox video player. This is not a new issue, just google it, been going on since the Vista days and Microsoft just dont care.

Edited by BAS, 04 November 2014 - 02:03 PM.

• gator99 and Wilky13 like this

#36 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

It sucks that Microsoft is abandoning WMC. It really is a great program to integrate LiveTV, Recorded and downloaded TV (with Recorded TV HD), music, and large movie collections (with MB3).

Microsoft obviously knows the Xbox 360 can direct play mp4 (with H264 & AAC) as proof with its Xbox Video Player. It blows my mind that they make the WMC interface transcode the SAME EXACT files! Whatever the stock video player can do should be mirrored in WMC extender.

@BAS, thanks for the info. I will tweak my network settings. But if the underlying problem is that WMC is transcoding the only true solution is for there to be a way to tell it to direct play and NOT transcode. But like you said, no codec or registry tweak has been found.
  • BAS likes this

#37 BAS OFFLINE  

BAS

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 547 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

Yep and trust me I've spent years of research on this subject even back to the days when this project was known as Videobrowser I would love to have better video quality on the extender experience with my own files. I know I can get better quality from DLNA but I much prefer the GUI which is why I spent years helping with themes and such. Hopefully whatever the team is working on for official Xbox app solutions will be awesome.

• Wilky13 likes this

#38 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

Well I found someone over on the Plex forums who says his mp4's do NOT transcode when he plays them through WMC on his Xbox 360 extenders.  I originally found his post here: https://forums.plex....-dlna-problems/  Then PMed him to confirm.  He says his mp4's direct play to his Xbox inside WMC.  However, he does not have any codec packs installed on his HTPC.  Just straight up Windows 8 (also did the same on Windows 7).

So I wonder if having LAV installed in order to bitstream audio on the main HTPC throws the Xbox for a loop when it ties to play a file inside of WMC.  Maybe it sees the 'LAV Audio Decoder' instead of 'Microsoft Audio Decoder' and doesn't know what to do and starts transcoding?  Below you can see my GraphStudio render for the file in question on the HTPC.

545a8386842ba_lav.png

When I play the file on the HTPC you can see the white LAV Splitter and blue LAV Audio icons in the task tray.  When I play the file on the Xbox through WMC, those icons do not appear on the HTPC.

Anyone have a vanilla version of Windows 7 that can confirm this?  I really don't want to uninstall LAV just to test.  Because I do use it on the HTPC to bitstream.

#39 BAS OFFLINE  

BAS

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 547 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

Interesting, yep back in the day I never used lav filters for playback of course, now it was all I installed. I can't promise I can get to uninstalling that today and testing but I will do it tomorrow for sure. If thats the case then its back to a problem for a hosting pc like yours that is actually used as a htpc as well. My hosting PC is my Windows 7 PC that isnt used for HTPC so I will mess around with no codecs to see if i get better results.

#40 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

Interesting, yep back in the day I never used lav filters for playback of course, now it was all I installed. I can't promise I can get to uninstalling that today and testing but I will do it tomorrow for sure. If thats the case then its back to a problem for a hosting pc like yours that is actually used as a htpc as well. My hosting PC is my Windows 7 PC that isnt used for HTPC so I will mess around with no codecs to see if i get better results.

"If" this is true it may prompt me to split my HTPC/Server in to 2 separate systems. Of course I was about to build a workhorse i7 hackintosh. Maybe I'll end up building a server instead!

Edit: posted on TGB.  http://www.thegreenb....php?f=8&t=8095

Edited by Wilky13, 05 November 2014 - 06:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: extender, mp4, low quality, h.264 + acc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users