emby server doenst read the localhost address on my smartphone

wimpauwelsprivaat@gmail.com

i now have to work 

but i will later on look here for more solutions in the evening in belgium okay? i am not gone i just have to work now the whole day

kind regards

wim pauwels 

hey overthere i am back home

and from now on when can two days work on these isssues

hoping i get back a response from you with possible solutions like where the emby server should store its data that people are managing not in the cloud like google's proposals maybe that is a reason of the blocking the access? but why do they add support then for external sdcards as storage even when you can not easily manage it like it should?

what is the best way to access the local external storage on my device how should i format it in what type? now it reads itself as additioned Internal Shared storage drive on hat folder the metadata sshoud be located and pionted to apart from the fact that i cant access the local storage as reading the admin rights to store data locally?

it simply doent read any data as the server on my sdcard. if i reformat it to android storage will that work?

ifyou now some things to tryout tell them to me today still if possible. even if youi think it is not possible....

kind regards

wim pauwels

hello is anyone looking in to my problem still?

i can only run emby server but it doesnt show up in libraries as it should show up

permissions are all set to granted sd card and ocal files

any suggestions in what to do to get it locally visible in the smartphone device itself?

kind regards

wim pauwels

hi anyone who reads tis topic,

can someone give me an aswer to the previous questions? please.

i must admit that it is sad to know and to tell you but bubbleUPNPserver is now the way to go for me.

it is not convinient to admit but that programma DOES read THE SDCARD PERMISSIONS after a few tries of reformatting it to something that is supported and i found out that your server situations itself as a non readeable upnp remote server.

untill now we tried already some things but i would love to test it further so that i can see that my billing account doenst need to be refunded by you when i payed for it to get a decent server interface.

remotely it does work but i'd would love things to be working on my smartphone either as well thats why and when bubbleupnpserver came in to test.

and it suddenly reads everything after granting permissions.

i will hope that that willl be fixed oney day or with testing some things in here ate the moment i am willing to  proceed to debug with you the problem in my local access to storage devices from smatphone to smartphone itself for soundtesting issues again;

i didn't try to overlook alll options but maybe you can point me to a direction that the local embyserver also plays locally; in the past it could be found in vlc mediaplayer as local database when server was runnning onthe same phone. but nowadays it doenst work anymore this way; sadly.

i hope you can provide some aswers today and i will test them immediately out on my sevrver here.

Kind regards

wim pauwels

i saw that the folders of my storage are not read although there subfolders and they contain mp3 or avi or whatsoever

the problem ist that only vlc media player saw that most folders are really empty

but instead i look in to the folders and there are files in it. so that is kind of weird. isnt it

i allow to grant access to all of my phone data but nevertheless it shows empty in emby server the content keeps being not read somehow. are google android developpers fooling us ? and give they so called permission access to read personal data but is the action in fact a foolish non working action that does nothing at all, like an easter egg but i hope i am very wrong in this., excepted that i almost believe it as a truth.

because if i put my data on the device itself i get the same bad connection errors in emby;

bubble upnp instead is a gravedigger in subfoldering.

maybe that is the reason why it doenst work?

Kind regards 

hoping on a answer today still?

wim pauwels

as usually i want to mention the things that i found that in any case there is no access to the shared folders on an sdcard anyway formatted either in exfat or in ext3 or 4 or fat32

no way that emby can read them from there. not even when i add a folder with the data in it seperated with right names. it doesnt work.

but i also discovered that if we wanna try to play the files we need to stream them through our device itself from chromebrowser where the server is opened to see if it works ten whe should select cast to the name of our local device and set to stream to ...-dlna with the prefix name of our device. so nothing works on from reading the sd card so ever.

i also moved the files loose out of subfolders llike the were in the previous version otherwise emby doesn't see them atall on the local disc internal storage there it works. but then we are very limited in storage abailties due to the size we get on the devices is always less then we need. at least i do need more space i store alot that i create myself.

i am gonna copie the files now in the same folders on the sdcard that i use for external storage to see if adding that now could work but i fear that it doesnt. i willl keep u updated today

kind regards

wim pauwels

as a wonder and all of suddon the playback from sdcard does work all of suddenly. 

but the emby server doenst like the subfolders. so format the card only ExFat system or Ext4 and then put the files in the respectively already there folders mp4 in movies or Movies and the mp3 files in the Music folder. or better make everything mp4 then there are no playback issues whatsoever.

the trick is to go to the server and add them from in the libraries and make sure your scanning the fodlders with 'application startup' truigger command. that is the way metadata is added together with the same way to configure folder scanning for media data folder can be added.

so i 'll explain it in steps here: a little in detail guide to follow:

1. take your device where your sdcard is formatted to Exfat or Ext4 plugin and surf  to the address where your device is findeable through your network
  2. now  go to sheduled tasks click on it open the following rules:
  3. open this rule scan metadata folder: openit and you remove directly the 12 hours scanning triggers that is defaulty put in there as atrigger
  4. add here a new line trigger that is called 'on appliation' startup without timing just leave the last line empty and do save it by pressing the arrow on the title bar of this screen
  5. open the rule  'scan media folder': open it and you remove directly the 12 hours  scanning trigger that is defaulty put in there as atrigger
  6. add here a new line trigger that is called 'on appliation startup'  without timing just leave the last line empty and do save it by pressing the arrow on the title bar of this screen
  7. secondly go to the libraries and add them  with the folders from the sd card that you have put your media in but without subfoldering that makes it not readable for android apps becaus it reads the folders already as folders in the root section of the phone.
  8. link your libraries and save everything as you wish. let emby continue with hanging in the scannig that follows that is completely normal but dont close that window when it is saying the bar scanning. just wait to be finished.
  9. open on you device the Emby for android app login on your server and click after login once more on the dashboard button that says Start.
  10. and now you wait  a few moments to see that liking libraries are really added. 
  11. when that is done you can open them and play them on your device the same way you can open any document to read now you can open the files and enjoy your storage movies.
  12. although mp4 codec is prefferred I can assure you that avi codec also as different others plays (ts-mkv-avi-wmv-mpeg-webm)  but not well. it stutters sometimes depending on what converting programmed setup was used. so i discourage different types of filetypes used with the library scanning. i encourage converting or downloading media directly in the right.mp4 with progressive converting capabilities.

and so i do recommend that before you decide to move your complete library to you device sdcard that you remember to convert different types of badly or not playing soundfiles or music videos to the mp4 extension with progressive setup settings.

that is very important because we're using interlace mode in videos that's rubbish for any player to be playable. interlaced video is not done these last years in video converting;

a great advice is also to convert audio to mp4 makes it more straight forward in having a database that is one way ticket to enjoy your database files! as you can compress MP4 files without losing the originale quality in image and video to very small storage needed. wich makes a youtube video for instances already half the size smaller in size. so you can add more video's to the same storage size instead of having to delete them. and care about the limited storage you have got. sometimes.

so hopefully i can assume that this fix is going to work with everything now. and for everybody that reads this do follow these steps in the mentioned order if done otherways the fix doesnt read the libraries and directories.

kind regards

wim pauwels

in addition is noone responding to my messages in this problem?

noone following the rest of what i tried to accomplish?

thanks for any kind of response

kind of weird that we get no answers for a week now more or less here;

we dont type letters do we? it s quick messages over the net so should be quick in the world?

kind regards

wim pauwels

Hi.  We're in the midst of a large beta cycle for the server and I'm afraid very few people have even attempted to run the server on a phone so there hasn't been a ton of testing or experience with your specific situation.  Plus, Google makes sure that Android permissions are a moving target - making changes with almost every release :).

yes i am afraid that googles home app is too frequently not able to cast from emby i see 

but my media can be transported if i use a second server Bubble Upnp server that cast through the vlc app so when i cast from your server over to the same phone server address it can surely cast.

but it plays Emby then truly locally when i open files now. just found out that nothing seems to be done. its now only the casting issue that is the problem so my solution didn't mark it as a solution but it works can be adopted. in the build. the only problem is when you let emby server wait several hours it doenst read data and i also found out that there is no subfoldering allowed to get the files read; and surely bad converted videos can stutter but are also playable. just to mention that some many things an be seen as working in your server.

i can assure you if you will accept this that my mp4 files do play with the beta version that i installed with the licence locally on the device itself. just using the browser for it or the local  Emby player from the site. it surely works but there are a few steps to follow like i mentioned in my solution and till now no issues. 

only the casting isssue but  that maybe a setting in my network perhaps because some apps do cast others attempt to cast but fail so it could be my side problem with the casting although that is something to figure out now.

would also be weird if no one will play locally the filles on the device itself isnt it? because the testing of the files needs to be done locally on the device in my opinion if it doesnt work you even cant stream it on other locations you see?

plus the advanced feature of sound is better with your server sound: it doenst enhance the sound if not set  and needed so you get the original sound trough the speakers wich means you can hear if it is good or bad sound and what to enhance. before reencoding the video with better sound than what youtube mostly lacks of. they are not consequent in remastering sound. some need to be full open volume and others need to be enhanced with an equaliser to get  the same as the other sound replaygain doesn't save that system_wise in the files so thats why i test all my sounds with your server because it doesn't restyle the sound when not needed it is flat equalized in any case i wil continue to use your server locally.

even upgrade it when it is rolled out again. i would be pleased to see that casting still works beause now it doenst but that can be my problem too on my side. so i am now going to fix the casting if possible.

anyway i keep you updated about what i do because that's me anyways. communication may not fall betweeen people certainly when there are issues.

thats my way of communication having at all moments of the day no eceptions about it for me

kind regards

wim pauwels

belgium

on the other hand I am also glad you are working on this moving problem.

google tries to be like microsoft perhaps like i feel in most things. there not free anymore they want to be payed for almost every app. that is not the same as having a free platform opensoure rolled out to the humans.

opensource means you dont bind people to make them pay anyway before they get all functions. you let them have a choice for themselves.

but the structure of your platform is very kind to me and logical to get on with.

the only issues are the permissions that are allowed by the android platform and they are mostly unkind in communication with other apps; that means that android is becoming very bad in maintaining free data management for every user: they push apps to delete them they propose installed apps you wont need never: this is a strategy i am not used with google having as a free platform. very sad situation.

hoping you guys an girls perhaps (if there are programmers in you staff as girls) find a good way round the permissions issues. in the lack that google says your platform access is true and in apps they say it isn't really the case.

so i am counting on you guys and girls to get these things to a very good openforced  access system so that anybody stilll enjoys emby server on the phone itself. like me many people should use it as a player in any case.

Kind regards

wim pauwels

• 2 weeks later...

ey it seems to me that when i tried my solution it was emby the player itself was setup wrongly with the webspeed and such things that made me had an issue. now today i am gonna try to chromecast again to see if that still fails if not or yes i will tell you in a couple of moments.

and like i supposed to be it the player supports the device android plays only when the server has the casting set to play through device but not viceversa

I was now trying to play without that setting ut nevermind it doesn't work either.

could it be that i need to remove emby for android as a player and then connect from the browser server login to the chromecast? could that be a problem?

kind regards

wim pauwels

so as a matter of fact Yes the issue persists but i also see in the settings that he tries to setup in my phone the server with the name of 'localhost' behind the http so this is weird because my mobile device is called something else as my device name is wim-mobiel in case you can see further on the issue; the server of emby still locates the localhost profile as i connect to it

anything about that can maybe fix an issue

i restarted the server and now it says that there is an update to beta . 36 already. should i try to install that? or wait with the update?

and with the new version installed i didnt get the chromecast working either i am beginning to think that my chromecast is broken somehow. only when the device gets full internet it shoud work but I now recall something: my brother has setup the servers in that way that i cant access the ports outside the router not to punish me but to make iot seperate from not. and i suppose that he put the server on emby in the not side which makes it hard to open the right ports for the chromecast to recognise my device android as a full casting app.

now i see it again. i will ask him tomorrow if he can check the router on that blocked port. there must be a firewall set not rightthere. but i cant see which one because he manages it all. so i see the problem now it has to do with that i think. because now locally the files do play at least if i dont open avi or stuff that is not supported. so mp4 does work even with mpg files it works on the device but i can imagine that the port is blocked towards the chromecast. because my second server called bubbleupnpserver does recognise the setup for sending the files towards the chromecast that does play well. so i will look in to that with my brother and soon give an answer when it will be setup in the good way.

i am also gonna try to connectto an older wifipoint that is not setup here to see if emby plays then well again. i will keep u informed on it. as soon as tommorow is comming for now emby hangs in the google chromecast so i think it was that previous mentioned issue that needs to be fixed after all  i am hoping that it will help us out...

good day or good night for you after this long evaluation of the core issue in my feeling at it.

kind regards

wim pauwels

good morning o goodevening for you,

when i try to play a local file on the storage device within the browser that is failing always whether being it with or without licence

if i want to play audio i need to select the casting as playing through the device so it means that it doenst automatically select the devices to see as a player?

but then it plays in chrome so it means tha t my player cant be local at least not emby player itself is that correct?

because it seeks an exterenal player like vlc mediaplayer as the videos will play just testing aat the moment.....

so i'm finding it hard to give in to this problem because your playe rseems to be not equalised but maybe a better flattend equaliser because vlc alsways gains the sound automatically but that is unreal towards my sound testing session: i need  your player to get it flattened in my ears so that i can check that the soundbalance is right or wrong to my soundproductions.

at least i can understand that the player needs to be external for some reason but i dont understand why emby for android player doesnt do it to cast it?

and previously it worked but now there is still chomecast issue..... not through th eexternal player but with the emby for android player there must be something wrong really... can you guys check that problem.

great thanks in advance

kind regards

wim pauwels

the bubble upnp gives me some more infos on the url's that are generated for emby  and when i look at that the following is to be seen:

1] wim-mobiel http://127.0.0.1:8096

BUT also 

2] wim-mobiel http://192.168.6.102:8096

and that is the same device located on two addressess i think there a conflict in macadresses but how to get rid of that perhaps you can tell me.

on my previous device it only shows one address at the same time for emby server and it even showed the name of the 'localhost' when changed on te servername

so i am thinking maybe it tries to create a new host address but fails that because of the naming in the server somehow. is it however applicable or not that is the question

i can setup my device with wifi and swapping macaddressess i dont know if that isthe right setting but otherwise i have no internet. maybe i am going to look at it and setup the server manually so that maybe then it does cast to my chromecast locally i 'lll keep u updated on it

kind regards until you respond soon hopefully

wim pauwels

i am tinking to giving up being able to play with the emby app itself

the thing is i can play sound in chromebrowser but it always crashed locally

on the device i can run in chromebrowser the function of playing through the device and only then i need to open te emby player to see to the same files and then i can play in that app but still the files crash.when showing up in flash vieuw af a millisecond.

as well in the app emby for android as the app emby server

but i recently discovered something else that is that the bug in emby seems to be clear that running locally is failing always without using external mediaplayer to pay localy the files or to cast them from there to the tvcrhomecastdevice. only then it works

but when running the server on android i locate in the dlna servers three devices that are all located on  a double address localhost like addressed and there is a second server with the right address that i gave it with the names so it is kind of weird as you see in the attachment; that i sent you now.

hoping you see the bug that is at hand because it is weird and strange too see this happen but how to fix that issue.

are there possibilities that the server once opened in chrome on my device opens itself each time again to run on the same device but tries to change the localhost name and fails that problem to overcome? maybe this is the real problem????

hoping you can give me a complete instructionlist on fixing this. i will wait as long as it takes you but hopefully the answer can be quick but certainly straightforward in my opinion?

kind regards

wim pauwels 

Screenshot_2023-05-21-13-09-30-144.jpeg

Edited by wimpauwelsprivaat@gmail.com
i had forgottend the attachment as a screenshot gives you more info on this issue

• 3 weeks later...
Junglejim

🤪 You run Emby Server on your phone? That's crazy.. your phone should be the client!

Get a job mate and buy yourself a decent server!

@Junglejim

I don't see why this is wrong in your eyes; in the mean time it works to run the server on my phone only the local playing doesnt work without a external videoplayer like vlc. and i can access it in the player itself now it was only a networkconnection issue that the app didnt read the 8096 port and when I changed  that to 8296 and i changed my macadress to static on my phone  - it was changing itself randomly dont know why anyways- but that changed the ability to see the server again on my phone itself. so dont laugh with me this was a serious issue to be coping with. by the way i am running three servers perfectly now. and i do have a job anyways.!

i dont like to discuss things that dont have a link with this! thankyou for bringing that respect to me back in the following answers. beause i do respect you i dont make things silly anyways.

thank you for posting anyways but this issue is finished now.

@Luke

hey luke, by the way i found out in my server on the serverdisk I ran the vacuum database at start up wich didn't do good at the disc mounting itself in the server because emby kept on restarting. so that task i removed from the settings. and secondly i needed to change the port for the wanport to another number because the dashboard of lacie os5 gen 2 was on disc the same port  that kept conflicting in the logging in. so when changing the server emby port 8096 for the wan connection to 8396 and restarting firstly the emby server and secondly the lacie disc. through the logged in dashboard once or twice (i think i did it twice) the server is now able to log in from every device and also the dashboard of the dis is seperately able to login. at third problem my brother in this house detected a dns-conflict and problem from the incoming connections. so  when that was al rebooted and finished with reconfiguring i let the disc overnight turn an that made the server and embyserver better work. at l east everything was accessible again.

so i think the issue is now closeable when this is posted on my side. 

concerning the issue the other issue i mentioned earlier on the server not running on the phone i changed the port and mac address of my phone to fixed because the phones macaddes kept on switching  on the network. god nows why that function is implementedn randomly macaddess in the phones settings- but anyways- switching the port to 8296 on the phones embyserver made everyting work again; as soon as my brother adapted macadress switch too in our routers. everything is working now. and thanks for making the beta version better work towards the normal version of the server because that keeps conflicting anyways. its better to do the beta setup on a nas or a other device anyways. otherways the files wont be found in the 4.7.13 versions (if it is higher excuse  me for the error then.) but 

MANY THANKS TO OPTIMIZE THE BETA VERSION IN MY QUESTIONS.

I AM GONNA PRAISE YOU UP TO HEAVEN BECAUSE YOU DID MANY JOB TOGHETER WITH YOUR COLLEAGUES I SUPPOSE TO GET ANDROID BETTER READING THE SERVER OF EMBY.

MANY MANY THANKS IN MUCH WAYS I CAN GIVE YOU AND THE TEAM TO THIS ISSUE

I EXCLAMATE THREE TTIMES (WHAT IS NOT ENOUGH OFCOURSE) THIS IN A MOMENT OF MANY JOY FEELINGS FOR YOU WORK !!!!

KIND REGARDS

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK  FOR US PLEASE

WIM PAUWELS

• Thanks 1