Live TV Guide

plexile

plexile

Hi there, I'm a long time Plex user from the Netherlands. But I've been growing dissatisfied with the changes happening with their software and someone recently recommended Emby to me. I've been taking a look at Emby over the last few days and I like what i see, except for one key area.

I watch a lot of live TV through my Plex server and I just much prefer the user interface that they have in their guide.

1. I have an IPTV subscription so the channel numbers are of no consequence to me. The logos tell me which channel is which. In Plex the guide looks nice and neat and uses the available space well

image.thumb.png.7bc7f0c775b5d7fe5fb6be86f2309ac9.png

In Emby the channel numbers are shown and there is a lot of wasted space between the numbers and the logo

image.thumb.png.04b7b13ccf87015a1350ff962fbf61b1.png

The width of the channel column is more than double what it needs to be for no reason. I don't even need to see the channel numbers but seeing all that wasted space is quite upsetting!

2. The other thing i really prefer of Plex over Emby is how they make the channel groups quick and accessible to use. As you can see below the channel groups are always available at the top of the EPG with a single click.

image.thumb.png.494b36d61fcaa2a26d00324f07822dc6.png

In Emby it takes me 4 clicks to achieve the same result. Channel groups are really useful in Plex, perhaps if they were as well implemented in Emby then the channel numbers would not be required?

These two areas are the only matters preventing me from moving over to Emby and buying a Premiere licence. Is it possible there will be some improvements in this area soon?

Hello plexile,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

The width of the channel column is more than double what it needs to be for no reason. I don't even need to see the channel numbers but seeing all that wasted space is quite upsetting!

Hi, try clicking the sort icon to configure what you want to see in the guide. If you hide the channel numbers then it should be compacted a little bit more.

plexile
On 29/04/2023 at 20:54, Luke said:

Hi, try clicking the sort icon to configure what you want to see in the guide. If you hide the channel numbers then it should be compacted a little bit more.

Ah! Thank you. The width of the channel column is much better when set to "Both". However i don't need to see the channel number or name and having all three enabled increases the height of the row. On the Android mobile app only three channels are shown as a result! May you introduce an option for just the channel logo with no increase to the row height?

Did you have any thoughts on improving the accessibility of channel groups?

3 hours ago, plexile said:

Ah! Thank you. The width of the channel column is much better when set to "Both". However i don't need to see the channel number or name and having all three enabled increases the height of the row. On the Android mobile app only three channels are shown as a result! May you introduce an option for just the channel logo with no increase to the row height?

Isn't there already an option for channel logo only?

seanbuff
3 hours ago, plexile said:

The width of the channel column is much better when set to "Both". However i don't need to see the channel number or name and having all three enabled increases the height of the row.

No need to set "Both" -- try leaving it as "Image" and just uncheck "Channel Number" from the Show Fields section below

image.png.cd9e33ec71c77b1975ff661c0b82b528.png

That way, you'll get just logo without any text or channel numbers, on a single row.

• Thanks 2

plexile

Ah thats great! These options were a little hard for me to find and understand though. I would suggest that the option to include the channel number should be included in the drop down rather than the check box. The remaining checkboxes are associated to the program data so it is not clear.

Honestly my preference would still be to have less row height and more rows shown but this is OK.

We can certainly look at improving this. I don't know if I like running them all the across like that but we can look at ways to reduce the click count. Thanks.

• Thanks 1