Emby on AppleTV sound goes out of sync

Mendocinotim

Mendocinotim

All the movies in my large collection are h264 or h265 HEVAC mp4 encoded, most with 5.1 or atmos audio. All are served using the latest up to date version of Emby server on my iMac. I use the same encoding methods for tv episodes, also on that server.

I have been using my AppleTV 4k to watch with, wired from the same LAN as the server.

When watching movies that are under 5gb, or tv episodes (also all under 2gb) I do not observe the following issue, while videos larger than 5gb often misbehave in two distinct ways. These issues happen on my AppleTV, but never when watching from my iPad. I can avoid these issues if I switch over to my Plex server using the Plex client on the AppleTV , which draws from the same directory as does the Emby server - suggesting that this may not be a server issue, but one with the Emby client on the AppleTV.

1. the video gets kind of scrambled, washed out, and totally whacked. If I tap to fast forward some of the sound that was still playing over the whacked out video replays from where I clicked the fast forward (with a tap).. the video will then usually correct itself and the audio will come into sync. This can sometimes happen several times during one film.

2. the sound goes out of sync with the movie. Stopping and then resuming will usually fix this. It may occur more than once during the movie.

what would you suggest?

thanks for your time - I love Emby and truly appreciate your work. I still host a Plex server as well, for the few that were reluctant to switch, but I gave up on PLEX when they released an update that trashed all my users episode / movie histories. They became too corporate for my tastes; and when I found Emby, an alternative, I came on board with a lifetime membership, and have never looked back.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

HI, can you please try the new Emby for Apple TV 1.7.3 update and let us know how that compares? Thanks !

Mendocinotim

The evening before you posted this question I experienced a situation where the movie would freeze frequently. 

It was virtually impossible to watch.
But the, I switched over to my PLEX server (hosted on the same machine) and the movie played perfectly.
All this occurred the day before your post last here.

On the days following, I am still having occasional issues.
For example, last night I was watching a movie, and it did the same thing.
Again switching to plex and the issue disappeared.

Perhaps it is your player?

I will say that since you updated to 1.7.3 these issues are more infrequent.
The earlier issue with audio/video syncing seems to have been repaired.

I hope this helps.

On 5/29/2023 at 12:45 PM, Mendocinotim said:

The evening before you posted this question I experienced a situation where the movie would freeze frequently. 

It was virtually impossible to watch.
But the, I switched over to my PLEX server (hosted on the same machine) and the movie played perfectly.
All this occurred the day before your post last here.

On the days following, I am still having occasional issues.
For example, last night I was watching a movie, and it did the same thing.
Again switching to plex and the issue disappeared.

Perhaps it is your player?

I will say that since you updated to 1.7.3 these issues are more infrequent.
The earlier issue with audio/video syncing seems to have been repaired.

I hope this helps.

@Mendocinotim

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

elmuziko

Just to hijack this thread, I have the same issue and have done for six months, since getting the Apple TV.

For TV episodes, the problem goes away by pressing the TV button on the remote, thwn swipping all my apps away. The same does not occur with movies.

If I use Infuse (which I really don't like), it works fine.

1 hour ago, elmuziko said:

Just to hijack this thread, I have the same issue and have done for six months, since getting the Apple TV.

For TV episodes, the problem goes away by pressing the TV button on the remote, thwn swipping all my apps away. The same does not occur with movies.

If I use Infuse (which I really don't like), it works fine.

Hi, that’s interesting info. We’ll take a look at it. Thanks.

elmuziko
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, that’s interesting info. We’ll take a look at it. Thanks.

Thank you,
Really appreciate it

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
elmuziko

This is still an issue nearly a year later.

I'm happy to provide logs, videos, anything needed to help rectifiy this.

It only happens with 4k content on Apple TV. I have two in my house, both with Ethernet connection; both suffer the same issue.

Infuse will work but it's not nearly as refined as Emby, traversing a large library is painstakingly difficult.