New computer for just Emby

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
garabge thread

jaycedk

If you are going to use the other pc as an nas with drivepool.

You just need a mini pc, like a Nuc, or another mini pc, you can easily fine some refurbished. 

or you could also finde an laptop with a broken screen, they are pretty cheap on e-bay. 

Go for an i5 11-12 gen, the igpu is amazing for transcoding.

If you use transcoding.

Some of them run idel at 15w so you will may by also save some $$ on electricity.

• Thanks 1

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

tedfroop

I just picked up a couple of "refurbished" (lease return) office machines, i5's at a reasonable price.  Added memory, a couple big drives and away we go.  I have one "hot" duplicate of my data and one "Cold" (USB, connect it and update it monthly) and Nas units as backup to those. (Insert Dilbert jokes here)  Mostly because I have a mental injury and cognition is an issue at times so I have accidentally deleted stuff......

But yeah the refurb was inexpensive, meets my needs, is only a couple years out of date and does what I need no sweat.

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

RanmaCanada

How about something like this?  I personally use a laptop as my server due to the sheer amount of power that you can save and have all my files on a dumb NAS.  This laptop will run circles around the N5105 (it's a horrible procesor).  There are also more powerful refub laptops like this one.  If you do want to get a NUC like device, I would suggest this one.  The 2400G will spank the N5105 in everything.  There is also the GE variant which will use even less power.

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

RanmaCanada

I leave my laptop on all the time, and am currently on my 2nd as I upgraded from an i3-8130u that I bought during Covid to an i3-1115G4 for better quicksync performance.  It will mainly be idling, which means it uses 3-5 watts sitting their doing nothing. Yes I have it hooked up to a killawatt meter so I can see it's power usage in real time.  The laptop temps idle at 25-30C.  All you need to do is just tell it to turn off the screen after a certain amount of time in the power settings, and honestly you can setup remote software like dwservice so you don't even need to look at the laptop (screen needs to be open for remote software to work as it won't display when closed).  The only thing to really be worried about is the battery.  As I have mine hooked up to the non battery side of my UPS, any time my UPS tests the battery, it goes onto it's internal battery, and during any power outages, it uses the internal battery as well.  Ideally you would want to remove the battery if you can and just use a UPS, but in my case, the battery is internal and I just can't be bothered at this time and I might do it when I upgrade the ssd or fix the smashed screen (I got the laptop for $120 because the screen was smashed haha)

If you do want to close the lid, I would recommend you buy an HDMI dummy plug so that the laptop thinks it has an external display connected and that way you will be able to remote into it.  And finally, if you want to look at smashed screened laptops like I did, they're cheap.  They work fine on an external display.  Or even C grade refurbs that are beat up, but everythign works.  Both of these would just need more ram and or any parts that the sellers do not include like possible power supplies or HDD's.

Good luck.  If you need any more laptop ideas, please feel free to ping me.  It's something that people do not think is possible, when in fact it is, and with the price of power being so high these days, it's a no brainer.

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 1

RanmaCanada

If the computer is using spinning rust, why not just replace that boot drive with an SSD?  They have dropped significantly in price lately and they will seriously breathe new life into old systems like steroids do to a professional athlete haha.  I would try to get a drive with TLC cells, and DRAM if possible.  Not really necessary for the DRAM, but it just makes things a bit more snappier.  For non DRAM drives, you'd want something like Silicon Power or others.  I personally have bought many of their drives for low end system upgrades for cheap users, and have one as a game drive just because, and I've not had one fail.  But my experience may not be what others have.

Yes at $119 you can get a laptop with a broken screen or C grade refurb that has an ssd already, and is probably more powerful than your current system.  So it's a matter of choice and if you want to bite the bullet and upgrade your hardware/system, or just the hardware.

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

advice that was here is gone. It serves no purpose now.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Junglejim
14 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

@speechlesThose are all pretty good points but I don't care, much, about boot and loading speed. That computer only needs to boot about once a week and the only program regularly loading is Emby and once it is loaded it stays that way for at least days and sometimes weeks.

All my media is stored on external USB drives (14 of them) and there really is no advantage, for me, in an SSD.

The time I lose is, for me, virtually meaningless.

The reason I do not spend the money to save the time is that I do not need to save the time at all. It would be, for me, wasted money and the time saved is simply not worth the money. When the computer must reboot I simply do something else for a time and, most of the time, when I get back to the server it has booted. As I said that computer does nothing else except Emby.

But the ram is another story. It does seem to make a difference to Emby but every computer I am seriously considering starts with 16g or more ram and that seems about all Emby needs.

As I have said:
Nothing I have, or at least almost nothing, needs transcoding.
I do NOT use or have remote access.
I do not have multiple users.
I just use Emby to watch content and I sometimes use it to record and watch sports shows.

For me having an SSD is simply wasted money and another point of failure that can be easily avoided. I do not need fast loading at all as once things are loaded they stay loaded.

Thank you for your comments and I am sure they will be valuable for others that read this thread but I do not need or want an SSD in my server. However I might get on for my regular, daily use, computer. But, even that computer will not really have any benefit for me from an SSD.

BTW: Does "SSD" sound like a disease to anyone else? It "sounds" like something most would want to avoid. ;) :D

I use a couple of SSD drives, one for the OS (OMV) and one for cache (transcoding etc.). Both are 120G, they are cheep and can make a big difference.

16g of RAM, wow! I only have 8g and only get to 25% of that with multiple containers running. ;)

I'm the same as you in some regards, I built a OMV NAS out of some hardware I had doing nothing.. It hosts all my HDD/media/backups for other apps plus it also has Emby running via a docker container.. + other stuff like Calibre, Homeassistant,Calibreweb,TvHeadend,qBittorrent.. etc.

It's all contained in one machine, which I like, and it is admin through a web browser/ssh.. So.. (tablet/raspi/phone/any old pc/laptop).

Spaceboy

the biggest improvement per unit spent you can make to a PC running emby server is to put the OS and server on an SSD. its not just boot time. everything is significantly faster.

• Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
Revision for understanding.

roaku

Everyone has been very clear about how they feel about SSDs in this thread. There are other aspects of a new system to discuss.

• Thanks 1

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!! 

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Anyone that can. Please close this thread. I has become worthless to me and I will, once current business is completed, no longer be posting to this thread or anywhere else in the forum.

Goodby all.

HI, we apologize for the mixed messaging. speechles opinions on this are entirely his own and are not representative of Emby in general. We hope you'll consider staying here in the Emby Community.

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

Useless post. Goodby!!!

Edited by Gilgamesh_48