Nvidia Shield Audio Sync Issue when fast forward or skip intro.

Jrod696
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

Jrod696

I have had the Shield for quite a while now and have always had an issue when I fast forward a couple times the audio becomes out of sync, its easy to fix you just have to hit the back button once and it syncs back up.

With the implementation of the skip intro (which is great btw) it has the same issue, once I skip the intro the audio is out of sync with the lips just a little bit but if I hit the back button it syncs back up.

I have always just assumed it was an Nvidia Shield thing because none of the other devices in the house (Fire Sticks) do this.

Is there a setting I am missing somewhere that would make this a simple fix, I would assume its a known issue but I am just hoping maybe there is a quick and simple fix.

Edited by Jrod696
  • Agree 1

justinrh

ebr, we've been thru this multiple times with ATV.  It is not just his Shield for sure.  Are you trying to say that it is fixed in the std app?

15 hours ago, justinrh said:

Are you trying to say that it is fixed in the std app?

I'm trying to determine if it is different.

Also, @Jrod696 does this only happen when transcoding or remuxing?

• Like 1

Jrod696

my apologizes, I have not had the opportunity get to side-load the other app, I have been super busy and the time it would take to uninstall and then install, etc has just not been there.

I can confirm it happens on direct play, tbh the Nvidia Shield does not really trans-code much of anything for me.

as soon as I can give it a shot I will.

Edited by Jrod696

rbjtech

Never had this issue in many years of use - on the Shield or FireTV's - all using the AndroidTV App.   

It's likely related to the Shield settings themselves - what are these set to - specifically, the Audio settings ?

FrostByte
54 minutes ago, Jrod696 said:

my apologizes, I have not had the opportunity get to side-load the other app, I have been super busy and the time it would take to uninstall and then install, etc has just not been there.

I can confirm it happens on direct play, tbh the Nvidia Shield does not really trans-code much of anything for me.

as soon as I can give it a shot I will.

BTW there is no need to uninstall ATV to run the standard Android app.  They can both be installed and have two slightly different icons.  

There is a write-up in the tutorial section if needed on sideloading to a Shield.

• Like 1

Jrod696

Knowing I could install both at once made things simpler, I just side-loaded the standard app and I could not reproduce the audio sync issues.

I went back to the Android TV app and the audio sync issue was still there.

The file tested was direct play.

Edited by Jrod696
  • Like 1

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, Jrod696 said:

Knowing I could install both at once made things simpler, I just side-loaded the standard app and I could not reproduce the audio sync issues.

I went back to the Android TV app and was still there.

The file tested was direct play.

Did you look at the Shield Audio settings ?

The fact it does not happen on the FireTV, suggests there is 'something' that the AndroidTV app has a slight intolerance to.

If you like the beta Android App 😱 - then I guess that is also an option - but it is missing a LOT of what you probably have become accustomed to in the AndroidTV App, so I'd suggest a through test before switching over. 

Jrod696
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The fact it does not happen on the FireTV, suggests there is 'something' that the AndroidTV app has a slight intolerance to.

If you like the beta Android App 😱 - then I guess that is also an option - but it is missing a LOT of what you probably have become accustomed to in the AndroidTV App, so I'd suggest a through test before switching over. 

Just in the few minutes I was using the app there is no way I would transition, the one feature I stumbled across though that was nice is I could get to the server dashboard from the TV, I wish the android TV app had that option but that is probably a whole new thread lol

One thing I did notice between the two apps was the way it skipped forward, the standard app seemed to be hard skip, I dont know really know how to explain it but there was a clear difference in the way it skipped forward.

Edited by Jrod696
  • Like 2

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, Jrod696 said:

Just in the few minutes I was using the app there is no way I would transition, the one feature I stumbled across though that was nice is I could get to the server dashboard from the TV, I wish the android TV app had that option but that is probably a whole new thread lol

oooohhh yes 🤔 ... https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89802-et-for-android-and-et-for-windows-ui-match-android-tv-app/

50 minutes ago, Jrod696 said:

One thing I did notice between the two apps was the way it skipped forward, the standard app seemed to be hard skip, I dont know really know how to explain it but there was a clear difference in the way it skipped forward.

What problem did you have with it?

Jrod696

overall it was not terrible, it was a little clunky to use, I honestly did not use it long enough to find the full differences or to make the full statement that the transition would be out of the question.

The Android TV app seemed to be a little smoother and the interface when selecting the video was a little more verbose with more options on screen.

21 minutes ago, Jrod696 said:

overall it was not terrible, it was a little clunky to use, I honestly did not use it long enough to find the full differences or to make the full statement that the transition would be out of the question.

The Android TV app seemed to be a little smoother and the interface when selecting the video was a little more verbose with more options on screen.

Do you remember where you thought it was clunky?

Jrod696

I will go through tonight and use it a little more and make some notes between the two, I was mostly focused on the audio when I did the test.

the one thing I noticed were the screens when I selected the video, I had play and just very basic stuff on the screen where the Android TV provides more options and info. I could also be wrong but switching between libraries or scrolling through files there was no audible feedback.

Edited by Jrod696

Jrod696

I just spent a few minutes bouncing between the two and they are very close, the Android TV version is a little more aesthetically pleasing, the selection of libraries and files is cleaner and the selection border is thinner where on the the Standard Android app it puts a huge white border around the selection.

In the STD Android app the posters on the main screen are much larger, an example would be the Live Now section, what was on the TV channels was probably twice the size.

the STD Android app also does not have any audible noise when you are moving around the screen so you have no feedback things are moving.

I will say though on the Standard Android app I like the option to edit a poster image as an admin or see the dashboard and who is logged in or see if a file being played is direct or transcoding and who is making it transcode.

Overall I would probably stick with the Android TV app but leave the Standard app installed for server maintenance and general info for when I dont want to get up and run up 2 flights of stairs to sit down at the server and fix something or get some details.

All in all they are pretty close to the same and if I was forced to switch I wouldn't hate it, I would compare it to switching to a new version of windows, its all still there and some stuff still looks different but if I have no choice I would embrace the change and then I wouldn't even remember what it use to be. (accept the right click on files in windows 11 is stupid! I will always remember that windows 10 had it better)

last thought, the audio sync issue does not happen in Standard Android app, I tried many different ways to replicate it and could not, but I could open up the Android TV app and replicate it on any file almost.

Edited by Jrod696

justinrh
9 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Never had this issue in many years of use - on the Shield or FireTV's - all using the AndroidTV App.

I think it happens only with TS files, so if you are not watching those (and across the network?), then you may not see the problem.  I see it every time I watch a recorded movie.  I don't think it has anything to do with the audio settings (as I've mussed with all of them), but I'm all ears.

I know Luke is just trying to get feedback about the std app, but it is one of those things that is "if you have to ask ..."  😮

Edited by justinrh

Jrod696

I thought same thing and did find it happens almost always with a .ts file but I can reproduce the audio issue on an MKV with H264 video encoding also.

Before it gets asked, I am running from a NAS that is on a 10Gbps fiber network, the Shield is hard wired via cat 6 to a gigabit switch with a fiber uplink.

Network performance is for sure not an issue.

rbjtech

@Luke

I tried the latest (3.2.95) again last night - and performance wise - they are now actually closer than they have ever been.  This is great progress. 😎   Prior to 3.2.95 - navigation was 'laggy' but it's now on par with the AndroidTV version I would say (on a Shield Pro anyway).

So my remaining gripes are -

a) aesthetics - especially the use of white highlight - which is horrid on an OLED TV - it's way too bright and highlighting solid white background for text to read is simply ugly.   The AndroidTV client uses transparency - which looks so much nicer.

b) functional 'quick use' buttons - by simply pressing 'up' on the Shield remote, I get the chapters up (and left/right nav).  Holding left/right proportional speeds up ffw/fwd.  ie it starts at 10 secs and then jumps to 30 secs etc the longer you hold the button.  Press and hold the OK button, I get stats for nerds up.  

c) design and proportions - The selection of 'audio' or 'subs', cast etc is so much nicer to use on the AndroidTV version.  Despite playing with 'size' in the settings - it's either too big or too small.  Cast for example is poor - the text is not in proportion to the image size - you don't even get half a name listed and it looks rubbish compared to the Android TV version. 

In summary, the AndroidTV client is designed for use sitting down to a big screen TV with the remote control - the Android client (and others that use the same 'design') are not and feel 'clunky' with navigation and use 'unnecessary' coverage of the screen to do certain functions.

Happy to give more example and screen shots - but this has all been said before - but thanks for listening on the performance - this has improved without doubt.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I remember reading somewhere that having "Dolby Sound Processing" option disabled in the Advanced Audio Settings could cause this. However, I also remember reading that one wants to have it disabled as it converts DD+ to DD. @Jrod696, maybe you can check if you have that disabled?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/vjy6ls/why_does_nvidia_say_enable_dolby_audio_processing/

• Like 1

• Solution
rbjtech
54 minutes ago, Ruato said:

I remember reading somewhere that having "Dolby Sound Processing" option disabled in the Advanced Audio Settings could cause this. However, I also remember reading that one wants to have it disabled as it converts DD+ to DD. @Jrod696, maybe you can check if you have that disabled?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/vjy6ls/why_does_nvidia_say_enable_dolby_audio_processing/

It's a setting to enable if either your TV, Soundbar or AVR do not support DD+ in which case the Shield will convert and output to DD/AC3 instead as you say.  But it causes issues if you want to 'passthrough' the DD+ and let either the TV or AVR handle it.   Unless you need it, it is best to turn it off imo.