Regularly getting media stopping playing with no media found error

F1nchy

echoxxzz

Same problem here too. Random freezes for about 10-15 seconds. Happens using the FireTV app and the standard Android app on both of my FireTV sticks. 

Nothing has changed on my setup other than I think Amazon pushed out an update to the FireTV a week ago.

Edited by echoxxzz

2 hours ago, echoxxzz said:

Same problem here too. Random freezes for about 10-15 seconds. Happens using the FireTV app and the standard Android app on both of my FireTV sticks. 

Nothing has changed on my setup other than I think Amazon pushed out an update to the FireTV a week ago.

HI, can you please provide an example?

Thanks !

Hi.  As far as the app is concerned, it was waiting on data for about 14 seconds it looks like:

05-02 11:35:35.670  3838  3838 I System.out: ******** Exoplayer state change to: buffering
05-02 11:35:35.941  3838 12628 I MediaCodecLogger: 3838.HW.video.hevc.bitrateInKbps = 2744
05-02 11:35:39.299  3838  3838 I System.out: Adding request to queue: http://192.168.10.45:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Progress
05-02 11:35:39.310  3838  3838 I System.out: Response received from: http://192.168.10.45:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Progress
05-02 11:35:49.196  3838  3838 I System.out: ******** Exoplayer state change to: ready

echoxxzz

I have two Android TV 4K sticks and one has the sideloaded app and the other has the FireTV app and it happens on both. I had my two brother-in-laws test with their FireTV Lite sticks (3rd Gen) and theirs work just fine. The only difference is that the FireTV Lite stick is running FireTV 7.x (aka Android 9) and my FireTV 4K sticks are using FireTV 6.x (aka Android 7) and there was an update to FireTV OS 6.x last week.

F1nchy
On 4/26/2023 at 8:22 PM, Luke said:

Are you happy continuing to use that?

Just coming back on this. Whilst it is fine using the Emby Android app instead of the Emby for Android TV app, I can't say I'm currently happy about it. 

The Android app is way slower to navigate than the Android TV app, there is a lot of lag on it when browsing through both the main screen and the media folders. It makes it quite frustrating and unenjoyable compared to the Android TV app, which is generally quite nippy in comparison. 

A couple of other small niggles with the Android App over the TV one; on TV shows, where it displays them in series it also show all series as an option at the end on Android TV, but on the Android one it only shows the seasons. For things like kids shows when my daughter wants a specific Bluey we have to go through each season one at a time instead of selecting al seasons and looking through that way. 

Also, the subtitle offset has much shorter increments on the Android one, too small/many IMO. I don't think it needs 50ms offsets, 250ms is fine for subtitles. We watch some shows (9-1-1 and 9-1-1 Lone Star immediately spring to mind) where the subtitles seem to shift through the show and I have to offset them by around 1 sec each time, so that's over 20 button presses each time. Subs are not like audio that does sometimes need fine tuning to get it in sync, as long as it lands roughly when the line is being spoken it's fine. 

I recall having a similar discussion when subs offset was first incremented and asked if the offset amount could be adjusted. It looks like Luke logged it as a separate request at that time, but I can't find it to see what the outcome was. I do think that 250ms would be ideal though. 

With regard to the difference in lag in the two versions on my Humax Aura I can do a video of both to demonstrate if that's any help? Had I not used the Android TV one I'd have thought it might be the box that's slow, but as the Android TV one isn't like that it must be the app. 

F1nchy
On 4/26/2023 at 8:22 PM, Luke said:

Are you happy continuing to use that?

Just coming back on this. Whilst it is fine using the Emby Android app instead of the Emby for Android TV app, I can't say I'm currently happy about using it as it is currently. 

The Android app is way slower to navigate than the Android TV app on my Humax Aura Android TV box, there is a lot of lag on it when browsing through both the main screen and the media folders. It makes it quite frustrating and unenjoyable compared to the Android TV app, which is generally quite nippy in comparison. 

A couple of other small niggles with the Android App over the TV one; on TV shows, where it displays them in series it also show all series as an option at the end on Android TV, but on the Android one it only shows the seasons. For things like kids shows when my daughter wants a specific Bluey we have to go through each season one at a time instead of selecting al seasons and looking through that way. 

Also, the subtitle offset has much shorter increments on the Android one, too small/many IMO. I don't think it needs 50ms offsets, 250ms is fine for subtitles. We watch some shows (9-1-1 and 9-1-1 Lone Star immediately spring to mind) where the subtitles seem to shift through the show and I have to offset them by around 1 sec each time, so that's over 20 button presses each time. Subs are not like audio that does sometimes need fine tuning to get it in sync, as long as it lands roughly when the line is being spoken it's fine. 

I recall having a similar discussion when subs offset was first incremented and asked if the offset amount could be adjusted. It looks like Luke logged it as a separate request at that time, but I can't find it to see what the outcome was. I do think that 250ms would be ideal though. 

With regard to the difference in lag in the two versions on my Humax Aura I can do a video of both to demonstrate if that's any help? Had I not used the Android TV one I'd have thought it might be the box that's slow, but as the Android TV one isn't like that it must be the app. 

Edited by F1nchy

There's a new flatten series display option in the app to view all episodes at once.

F1nchy

Thanks, I've found that option. It does flatten them to all episodes, but it's not as neat a solution as the Android TV one; in that version it looks tidy when you have Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, All Seasons side by side as options. When you flatten them it doesn't have that, just all the seasons in a long line. It's also a global setting so it's all or nothing on it. Would it be possible to add the option to display it like it does in the Android TV app? 

6 hours ago, F1nchy said:

Thanks, I've found that option. It does flatten them to all episodes, but it's not as neat a solution as the Android TV one; in that version it looks tidy when you have Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, All Seasons side by side as options. When you flatten them it doesn't have that, just all the seasons in a long line. It's also a global setting so it's all or nothing on it. Would it be possible to add the option to display it like it does in the Android TV app? 

Did you try using the season tabs to quickly jump seasons?

F1nchy

Yes, but once you use those it only shows in seasons and no option to jump back to all. 

• 3 weeks later...
F1nchy
On 5/11/2023 at 1:54 PM, F1nchy said:

Like this; this is how it is displayed in the Android TV app, an extra option for all seasons next to the seasons numbered, much tidier and more useful, especially when you have a six year old asking for a specific episode and you're not sure where it is! Can that be done for the Android app as well please? 

2023-05-21 18.05.41 (Medium).jpg

Edited by F1nchy

F1nchy

And back on to the topic of my original post/problem, is this going to be resolved or is the Android TV app being left to disappear? 

I wouldn't mind if the Android App was as responsive, but it's really slow and sluggish to navigate in comparison. At the moment we no choice but to use that because the Android TV oe simply will not play most things for any usable length of time, but it's much more frustrating to navigate with the lag and loading of images being so much slower. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, F1nchy said:

And back on to the topic of my original post/problem, is this going to be resolved or is the Android TV app being left to disappear? 

I wouldn't mind if the Android App was as responsive, but it's really slow and sluggish to navigate in comparison. At the moment we no choice but to use that because the Android TV oe simply will not play most things for any usable length of time, but it's much more frustrating to navigate with the lag and loading of images being so much slower. 

Thanks

Hi, where exactly do you think it’s slow to navigate? What version are you on?

F1nchy

I'm on version 3.3.07 on Android. 

It's just the general navigating around the home page, sections, going into shows/movies, coming back out. It all has a bit of lag compared to the Android TV app. 

I've done a video of having a quick browse on both so you can get an idea. The Android app just feels a bit 'sticky' compared to the Android TV one, you might be able to hear the button clicking and the constant slight lag from the screen movement as well, and fairly regularly it just sticks completely for about 30 seconds before it responds as well.

There are no issues with playback, it's just the 'experience' doesn't feel very nice because of it. I might think it was the device, but as the Android TV is running on the same box I can't see that's the issue. 

Apologies for the whiney cat in the video, she wants feeding!
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPZ-J5BhehibsF-xMrvpeDlkapJJzCqi75MufZCnWvYVw3TRLIAwZqM17P_ccqyXw/photo/AF1QipOwulczSV_ZMlSbE17BKUaFq__bMseSKPEtb8zY?key=WGgxVFl5R2JlQnFBb1NJVnhvYW9PTTdhRVdydVJB

Edited by F1nchy

On 5/28/2023 at 11:13 AM, F1nchy said:

I'm on version 3.3.07 on Android. 

It's just the general navigating around the home page, sections, going into shows/movies, coming back out. It all has a bit of lag compared to the Android TV app. 

I've done a video of having a quick browse on both so you can get an idea. The Android app just feels a bit 'sticky' compared to the Android TV one, you might be able to hear the button clicking and the constant slight lag from the screen movement as well, and fairly regularly it just sticks completely for about 30 seconds before it responds as well.

There are no issues with playback, it's just the 'experience' doesn't feel very nice because of it. I might think it was the device, but as the Android TV is running on the same box I can't see that's the issue. 

Apologies for the whiney cat in the video, she wants feeding!
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPZ-J5BhehibsF-xMrvpeDlkapJJzCqi75MufZCnWvYVw3TRLIAwZqM17P_ccqyXw/photo/AF1QipOwulczSV_ZMlSbE17BKUaFq__bMseSKPEtb8zY?key=WGgxVFl5R2JlQnFBb1NJVnhvYW9PTTdhRVdydVJB

OK, is that your only issue with it?

F1nchy
20 hours ago, Luke said:

OK, is that your only issue with it?

Is what my only issue with it? It being much slower and less responsive that the version you are stopping supporting (Android TV)? That's pretty important; when my wife keeps noticing and asking why it is so slow and keeps freezing it's enough of a regression to be important. 

There are a number of other things that would improve Emby Android for use on an Android TV, but I can cope without those if they're not being implemented (like having the vertical menu option on the home page, which I've previously requested but been advised it's not on the list for now) and the option for all seasons grouped together as in my earlier post above. 

However, having the whole user experience much slower and sludgier than it's ever been before is a step backwards and makes for a pretty frustrating user experience, and would much rather it improved. 

You didn't confirm whether or not the "no media found error" issue on the Android TV app will be dealt with or not? Will that be looked at? Or is that version being discontinued and no further issues resolved on it? 

Thanks

F1nchy

Great, thank you for clarifying. 

Interestingly, I tried the Android app on my old 2015 Nvidia Shield TV and that navigates fine, none of the lag that I see when it's on the Humax Aura, so could it be that the Android app is more resource intensive than the Android TV app? And whilst the aging but comparatively more powerful 2015 Shield TV has the power to run it more smoothly, the Humax Aura's cpu (and possibly also other cheaper Android TV boxes) struggles with it? Or another possibility is that the Android TV app caches more? I did notice that the install footprint on the Android app (116MB) is 2.5 times smaller than the Android TV one (293MB). Could it be that the Android TV app runs smoother because it has cached a lot more data?

May be way off the mark, but thought I'd mention it in case it does help

PXL_20230606_081947853.MP.jpg

5 hours ago, F1nchy said:

Could it be that the Android TV app runs smoother because it has cached a lot more data?

No, it is more likely the processor(s) in the devices.