Regularly getting media stopping playing with no media found error

F1nchy

F1nchy

In the last week or so we keep getting an error which stops payback. It's usually just after starting a movie or TV show and says something like no playable media found (I can't remember, I keep trying to catch it with my phone but keep missing!), then after hanging for 5-10 seconds it plays fine. I occasionally happens part way through as well (like 20/30 mins in) but again plays on restarting. 

Is this a known issue? I'm on the latest server beta (4.8.0.29) and Android TV version 2.0.87g (I can't find a newer version so assume it's up to date?)

It doesnt' seem to happen on our Sony Android Bravia TV but it's currently happening quite a lot on our Humax Aura Android TV. 

Thanks

F1nchy

I'm not sure it is. I've been using the Emby Android app on it for the last few days without a single issue, but when I tried watching something last night with the Android TV app it kept stopping within 20 seconds saying no playable media. I was actually unable to play it at all because it kept stopping, but as soon as I want back to the newer Android app on the same device it played straight away with no issues.

I'll try again later and send some logs 

On 4/12/2023 at 5:31 AM, F1nchy said:

I'm not sure it is. I've been using the Emby Android app on it for the last few days without a single issue, but when I tried watching something last night with the Android TV app it kept stopping within 20 seconds saying no playable media. I was actually unable to play it at all because it kept stopping, but as soon as I want back to the newer Android app on the same device it played straight away with no issues.

I'll try again later and send some logs 

Hi @F1nchy were you able to send the logs? Thanks !

F1nchy

Hi Luke
This is the one from yesterday;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0a07vam3s4hg8n1/embyserver-63817027200.txt?dl=0

We didn't use it all day until around 10pm last night, and the first thing we tried to watch on the Android TV app gave the same error within seconds of starting playing. I gave up and used the Emby Android app instead and that was fine, no issues at all. 

I did reboot all network devices on Wednesday as well after you mentioned a possible network connection issue, but nothing else seems to have the same issue. 

Let me know if you need more. 

Thanks

Hi.  Did you also follow the instructions I posted above to send a log from the app?

F1nchy

No, I hadn't been able to find that. I've just looked through and found where to enable debugging. So do I need to wait until it happens again now and then send the log from that? 

Sorry, I thought you needed logs from the server

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, F1nchy said:

No, I hadn't been able to find that. I've just looked through and found where to enable debugging. So do I need to wait until it happens again now and then send the log from that? 

Sorry, I thought you needed logs from the server

That would be great, thanks !

F1nchy

OK, it just happened again twice when we started watching FBI International, I've done the send logs thing twice. Do you need me to do anything else? 
Thanks!

Hi.  If I found your proper log (Matt & Katy?) then I don't see any errors.  What I see is what looks like another app or the Android system requesting our app go to the background which is then causing us to stop playback gracefully.  Was an error displayed in the logs you sent?

F1nchy

It just stopped playing, came up with a message "no playable media found" and went back to the TV show it was playing. 

I have the Emby for Android TV app and Emby Android (sideloaded) installed on the device, it's a Humax Aura Android TV. The sideloaded app plays with no issues, but the Emby for Android TV app jest keeps doing the same thing; stopping with that message within a few seconds or a minute of starting playing. 

I also have a Sony Bravia TV with Android and it doesn't happen on that (my daughter uses that all the time with Emby for Android TV and it never gets that). 

• Agree 1

F1nchy

It did it again last night so I sent another log, around 10pm (UK time). We then used the other app again!

8 hours ago, F1nchy said:

It did it again last night so I sent another log, around 10pm (UK time). We then used the other app again!

Hi, do you mean the standard Emby android app?

F1nchy

It had the same error whilst using the Emby for Android TV App, so we then used the sideloaded Emby Android App instead. 

On 4/16/2023 at 6:33 AM, F1nchy said:

Okay, I saw the same thing - the system forcing the app to the background which caused playback to stop but I don't see anything that would've produced an error message.

3 hours ago, F1nchy said:

so we then used the sideloaded Emby Android App instead.

Are you happy just using that app?

F1nchy

I do prefer the Android TV one. I find the transport controls much tidier and less busy on the Android app. We watch subs on a lot of things and doing that is definitely more faff on the Android one to the Android TV one, plus it seems to navigate a little smoother. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 8:34 AM, F1nchy said:

I do prefer the Android TV one. I find the transport controls much tidier and less busy on the Android app. We watch subs on a lot of things and doing that is definitely more faff on the Android one to the Android TV one, plus it seems to navigate a little smoother. 

Why do you think navigation is a little smoother?

F1nchy

I just find the newer one slightly less responsive, plus it had the TV channel options on the transport bar that I don't really want on there (rarely watch live TV and when I do I don't usually watch through Emby).

We've been using the newer app this week (we kind of have to, impossible to get the Android one to play without stopping - I've even uninstalled and reinstalled but nada), I guess we'll just have to get used to using that instead.

adavis219

Same here, have been exclusively using my Shield and this issue has only come up in the past week or so? Not sure whats causing it.

adavis219

@F1nchyHave you tried clearing the cache and/or data? Mine seems much more sporadic than yours but when I cleared those two things under “App Info” it seemed to clear it up only for a bit. Actually occurred quite a few times this morning for myself. I haven’t tried side loading the standard Android app but I might have to if it keeps happening. What’s the best way of going about that?

@Luke Would you like some logs from my end as well? If I can replicate it I can send you over some if you tell me how.

F1nchy

I uninstalled the app completely and then reinstalled it but it was still exactly the same.

Sideloading the Emby for Android app was straight forward, just download it on your laptop and chuck it into a USB stick, plug it into your shield and install it using a file manager, just need to make sure you have it set to allow installs from this party (can't remember how it's worded now!)

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Edited by F1nchy

On 4/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, F1nchy said:

The sideloaded app plays with no issues,

Are you happy continuing to use that?

adavis219

@F1nchyI ended up using firefox I’ve had side-loaded, didn't realize they had direct .apk dl on the site, but I didn't use it enough to see if it was happening on both apps. 

While its fine for people who can figure out how to do that, it might be something to look into for those who aren't savvy enough to side load things.