new speakers

techywarrior

techywarrior

What is bi-pole (random ebr techno bable) anyway?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OepIwU9g6vI/p_735MYGEM/Definitive-Technology-Mythos-Gem.html this is what I have to surrounds, I believe they are bi-pole

Not sure what I am going to get for the surrounds yet (I figure lets get the mains taken care of first) but I was thinking something with stands like that so I can face them towards the people on the couch instead of forward. Or I also saw some surrounds that you can rotate.

Good day,

Any consideration for digital sound processor speaker (what it called today sound bar or whatever), it maybe best for your room setup.

My best

techywarrior

I had thought about a soundbar but frankly I just assumed that a real speaker setup would be better then a soundbar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boston-Acoustics-Surround-Speaker-System/dp/B005QIWJUA

I bought these in white, married them to my pioneer amp and I'm very pleased for a budget system.

Plus you can hardly tell they're there (in white!).

I'm no audiophile mind, but for a small space I don't think these would dissapoint....

Cheesegeezer

What is bi-pole (random ebr techno bable) anyway?

It means your speakers are highly likely to have extreme mood swings and could be suicidal one day and on ecstacy the next :lol: hahaha

Seriously, I think this link sums it up swifly

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=170720

techywarrior

Looked over the options with the GF and I think the towers are definitely out. It would be tight to have them there unless they were basically against the wall and she didn't really like the idea much.

I think we are going to try the Definitive Technologies Mythos 6 for L/R and a 7 for center.  8" Martin Logan Dynamo 300 subwoofer for $130. It's downward firing. Is that good/bad? (well, considering everything else). It says it's 75 watt, 150 peak. I'm sort of assuming that that is enough for the smallish space.

fantaxp7

Looked over the options with the GF and I think the towers are definitely out. It would be tight to have them there unless they were basically against the wall and she didn't really like the idea much.

I think we are going to try the Definitive Technologies Mythos 6 for L/R and a 7 for center.  8" Martin Logan Dynamo 300 subwoofer for $130. It's downward firing. Is that good/bad? (well, considering everything else). It says it's 75 watt, 150 peak. I'm sort of assuming that that is enough for the smallish space.

Hard to judge by simply looking at specs. At that price I'd just get it home and try it out.

I would generally suggest a more capable sub, not just by viewing wattage and size but how it sounds and "feels". And I think it might be important to have your sub compliment those speakers, any slim speaker that is smaller than a bookshelf or tower will typically need help at around the 100hz mark. But if you can enjoy your system with a $130 sub then that's great.

Hard to judge by simply looking at specs. At that price I'd just get it home and try it out.

I would generally suggest a more capable sub, not just by viewing wattage and size but how it sounds and "feels". And I think it might be important to have your sub compliment those speakers, any slim speaker that is smaller than a bookshelf or tower will typically need help at around the 100hz mark. But if you can enjoy your system with a $130 sub then that's great.

His couch placement is going to make the sub problematic so I wouldn't fret too much over getting a great one.

Side surrounds in the true cinema are either dipole or bipole which provide a "diffuse" surround field by having cones that fire basically front and back instead of directly at you.  This makes it hard for your ear to directly localize where that sound is coming from.  This is desirable because most surround material is background or ambiance noise and these types of speakers make that sound fill the whole surround field which creates a much more realistic effect for things like rain and such.

Here is one of my quadpole surrounds sitting inside its column with the cover off.  Notice it has multiple cones firing in all directions (well, if you look real close).

P7054817sm.jpg

Cheesegeezer

Techy, I would spend more on your front 3 speakers to be honest

Also a little trick for placing your sub in right place, is to put the sub it in the listening position on the couch/sofa/settee (whatever you guys call is over there) and then walk around your room until you find the best base sound and where ever you are stood, that's where you should put the sub.

DF Subs are good if you have cats or kids.... it prevents little fingers/claws going thru the cones exertion rubber.  Sub Bass is non directional however positioning your sub to create the resonance for your experience is more important IMO.

techywarrior

With the dipole speakers should I worry that one will be aimed directly at a wall and the other side one is out into open space?

Cheese, unfortunately I can't realistically move the sub. I can spend more on the speakers if it will make a difference but it seems that my room is going to be a major limiting factor in anything I choose. I remember your new living room pictures had wall mounted speakers didn't they? What did you use?

techywarrior

I think ya need to just take the plunge and start trying out speakers and subs :)

Yes, I think I am going to order the first attempt this weekend. Wish the stores didn't just have a random assortment of stuff. None of the stores seem to carry both the Mythos 6 and 7. :(

Going to order from Amazon and will have them by Tuesday night.

Cheesegeezer

With the dipole speakers should I worry that one will be aimed directly at a wall and the other side one is out into open space?

Cheese, unfortunately I can't realistically move the sub. I can spend more on the speakers if it will make a difference but it seems that my room is going to be a major limiting factor in anything I choose. I remember your new living room pictures had wall mounted speakers didn't they? What did you use?

My wall mounted speakers are Monitor Audio Radius HD's, the LR are 225's and the Centre is the 250. The come with mounts and even a template so it makes wall mounting easy, there is also a cutout in the wall mount to allow for speaker wire to pass thru ensuring a nice flush mount.

Very good speakers in my opinion.

techywarrior

After some shipping issues (my 2 day Amazon delivery took 5 days to arrive) I received the new speakers and have been testing them out before mounting them to the wall. There is definitely an improvement in general sound quality. At low volumes it's pretty subtle, I believe some of the higher frequencies are sharper and a little more piercing, but that also good be my imagination trying to justify better speakers. :) The real difference is when you start to turn the volume up. Before t would get to a certain volume and there would be no discernable improvement. The speakers would get louder but you couldn't really understand the dialog any better. It was a strange thing because I don't believe it was the putting out the max wattage to the speakers (it may have but it didn't blow them or anything). Now when I want to turn the volume up it's crystal clear just a lot louder (as it should be).

The sub woofer is probably a little small for most of you but I don't need booming bass. Just enough to get the effect and add depth to those sounds. If I turn the sub woofer up all the way it seems to be enough. Because it was a cheap sub, although a high quality one, I don't think it's worth changing it for something a little more powerful unless you think that keeping it turned up all the way, or close to that, would harm it in any way.

Thanks for all the help and recommendations everyone. I went with Definitive Technologies Mythos 6 for L/R Mythos 7 for C and Martin Logan Dynamo 300 for the sub woofer.

Next I need to look for new surrounds. I am using my old speakers but wanted to mount them on little arms to angle them inward... and they broke the plastic arms! Cheap shitty plastic but it said it can support 8lb and the speakers aren't even 4lb. They aren't center anchored and I think the torque was just too much.

Anyone know if these are any good? They are nice and small. Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS Satellite Speaker (http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-SoundWare-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B002XCE19E/)

• Like 1

fantaxp7

Well I'm glad you like them. And they will get better as they break in too.

Those speakers for the rear look fine for what you want. I'd give them a shot at that price.

Have you run your receiver's setup with the microphone yet?

techywarrior

Have you run your receiver's setup with the microphone yet?

Yes, I ran the setup and once I mount them permanently to the wall this weekend I'm going to run the setup again. It's funny how much it adjusts the values compared to when I did it manually with my old AVR. I also noticed a huge adjustment compared to the previous speakers. I think it lowered the new speakers a lot compared to the satellites.

After some shipping issues (my 2 day Amazon delivery took 5 days to arrive) I received the new speakers and have been testing them out before mounting them to the wall. There is definitely an improvement in general sound quality. At low volumes it's pretty subtle, I believe some of the higher frequencies are sharper and a little more piercing, but that also good be my imagination trying to justify better speakers. :) The real difference is when you start to turn the volume up. Before t would get to a certain volume and there would be no discernable improvement. The speakers would get louder but you couldn't really understand the dialog any better. It was a strange thing because I don't believe it was the putting out the max wattage to the speakers (it may have but it didn't blow them or anything). Now when I want to turn the volume up it's crystal clear just a lot louder (as it should be).

The sub woofer is probably a little small for most of you but I don't need booming bass. Just enough to get the effect and add depth to those sounds. If I turn the sub woofer up all the way it seems to be enough. Because it was a cheap sub, although a high quality one, I don't think it's worth changing it for something a little more powerful unless you think that keeping it turned up all the way, or close to that, would harm it in any way.

Thanks for all the help and recommendations everyone. I went with Definitive Technologies Mythos 6 for L/R Mythos 7 for C and Martin Logan Dynamo 300 for the sub woofer.

Next I need to look for new surrounds. I am using my old speakers but wanted to mount them on little arms to angle them inward... and they broke the plastic arms! Cheap shitty plastic but it said it can support 8lb and the speakers aren't even 4lb. They aren't center anchored and I think the torque was just too much.

Anyone know if these are any good? They are nice and small. Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS Satellite Speaker (http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-SoundWare-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B002XCE19E/)

If you check back I linked those earlier on in the thread, I have them (in white) very happy with them.

If your walls are white you hardly notice the white ones too...

Cheesegeezer

Fronts all installed. Rears coming next week but here is what the new setup looks like:

545593cd6b442_WP_20141101_19_02_59_Pro.j

Looks good mate, i can see what you mean now about a difficult shaped room!

How do the sound now you have them on the wall and setup with mcaac?

techywarrior

Sounds good. We were playing Diablo tonight and it sounded like a different game.

Also while watching some tv I heard some chime or something and it sounded like it was right in front of me. Never had that experience with the old speakers.

Don't realize how bad it is till you switch to something better.

Edited by techywarrior
  • Like 1

Glad you are happy with the speakers but you need to switch that shot out immediately with one that has an MB screen... ;)

• Like 1