new speakers

techywarrior

techywarrior

Getting Mythos 6 speakers for the L/R and a Mythos 7 for C is definitely within the budget of what I was looking to spend. Is that what you have?

Back when I was into this stuff Def Tech's were well liked by the crowds.

I had a pair of Ascend bookshelf/mini tower speakers that I really liked in one of my higher-end rooms.  I didn't have their center channel (had a huge Rocket) so can't comment on that but the mains were very nice for the price.

Here are those Ascend speakers in their old home behind the screen.  For scale those are four 18" woofers  :D.  So the Ascends are not real big but not true bookshelfs either.

wooferswired.jpg

techywarrior

Hm, those Ascend's look nice too.

Lol, it's funny that every person has a different brand and recommendation. And most of these brands I've never heard of. It's all good information and I'm finding a lot of options. Just thought there would be some sort of consensus. I guess I was wrong about that. 

Of course, none of these speakers are in local stores :( BestBuy has the Mythos 7 but not the 6s. They have none of the Ascends and they have Martin Logans but not the SLM. There are some other audio stores around but their websites don't show what speakers they carry. I have no issue ordering online, just wanted to be able to take them back if need be.

Maybe I should just roll a dice or something to choose one of these :)

btw, ebr. Those speakers sounded fine even behind the screen? I would have thought that having something blocking the sound like that would muffle the sound or something. (and I was worried that my center channel placement 1/4 below the top of my TV was causing me an issue. ROFL)

fantaxp7

There are a lot of options for acoustically transparent material, I'm guessing that's what he has.

I have the Mythos nine as a center and Mythos STS towers.

I'd suggest trying three nines http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Technology-Mythos-Nine-On-Wall-Shelf-L-C-R-Loudspeaker-VENB-/191322212084?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2c8bb146f4 that seller is the official definitive technology reseller of refurbished speakers, best buy sells them for $800.

Yes, it was an acoustically transparent screen.  Had pretty much the same effect as the speaker grilles on the sound.

You won't find Ascends in any stores.  They are online direct which gives you higher quality for less.  You can send them back if you don't like them though.

techywarrior

I never really buy refurb stuff. Is it "safe" with speakers? My concern with refurb electronics is always that when one part has failed there is a higher chance that another one will as well. Be it from poor soldering, a failed component overloading another one, etc.

The Ascend center channel looks pretty large. I'd need to measure and make sure it will fit somewhere. It looks too big to mount to the wall so maybe I can put it below the TV (but I suspect it won't fit).

May lean more towards the SLM or the DT 6/7 or 9s.

fantaxp7

I never really buy refurb stuff. Is it "safe" with speakers? My concern with refurb electronics is always that when one part has failed there is a higher chance that another one will as well. Be it from poor soldering, a failed component overloading another one, etc.

The Ascend center channel looks pretty large. I'd need to measure and make sure it will fit somewhere. It looks too big to mount to the wall so maybe I can put it below the TV (but I suspect it won't fit).

May lean more towards the SLM or the DT 6/7 or 9s.

Fair point, I have never had an issue though that is just my experience.

I think at the end of the day you should try these out in your home. The seller on ebay has a 90 day try out period and I'm sure best buy will be easy to return as well.

techywarrior

Ok, not sure if you can answer this but, since my room is relatively small (TV to couch) and I plan on having a sub woofer should I just stick to the Mythos 6/7 combo? The 9 seems to have more bass and larger mids but will I even know the difference for twice the price?

It's pretty annoying that BestBuy has the Mythos 7 and 9 but not the 6 :(

fantaxp7

Ok, not sure if you can answer this but, since my room is relatively small (TV to couch) and I plan on having a sub woofer should I just stick to the Mythos 6/7 combo? The 9 seems to have more bass and larger mids but will I even know the difference for twice the price?

It's pretty annoying that BestBuy has the Mythos 7 and 9 but not the 6 :(

I'd try out the 6 first. Just know that any of these speakers that are smaller won't have a great bass range. My Mythos Nine doesn't have good/great bass at all however it is very articulate when people speak which I like a lot and the subwoofers in my Mythos STS towers help with the rest of the bass.

So I think with any choice you make you will need to spend a little time blending with the sub you have.

What kind of a receiver do you have by the way?

techywarrior

My biggest complaint with the current speakers is people speaking so that's good to know :)

I have a Yamaha RX-V373. I know it's mid range but I believe it's powerful enough to power the speakers that we are talking about.

My biggest complaint with the current speakers is people speaking so that's good to know :)

I really hope that new speakers help you out here but I will tell you that this issue is usually tied more to the listening environment.  Large, open, hard-surfaced areas make it very difficult to follow dialog because everything is bouncing at you from all angles with all kinds of different delays.

Just something to keep in mind...

• Like 1

techywarrior

I really hope that new speakers help you out here but I will tell you that this issue is usually tied more to the listening environment.  Large, open, hard-surfaced areas make it very difficult to follow dialog because everything is bouncing at you from all angles with all kinds of different delays.

haha, I hope so too.

fantaxp7

Yep, real important to keep in mind. What sounds good in my room will likely sound different in yours.

The steps mentioned earlier are important such as a good rug and thick curtains...maybe some acoustic panels. Your receiver has a setup mic for room correction but that will only help to an extent.

From a technical point of view the speakers are good, but getting the most out of them really is in the room treatment.

techywarrior

We have a thick area rug that covers 75% of the floor in the designated living room area. The large picture behind the couch probably doesn't help but that's not going anywhere. Curtains may be an option but I suspect the GF will not be too happy about it.

I am attaching a crappy image so you can get an idea. What's not in the picture is that to the left of the image is open space that is the kitchen and eating space.

5449534b3d682_livingroom.jpg

techywarrior

Yea doesn't seem like there's much that could be done there. Oh well. No surrounds either huh?

There are small surrounds on each side of the couch (they are mounted to the wall and black so hard to see in the picture) That remote is actually sitting on one in the foreground :)

I'm probably going to replace those later and see if I can angle them inwards a bit. If we repaint the ceiling I may take that time to put the surrounds up there. But at the moment that's not in the plans.

Edited by techywarrior

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1J71Z92033&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Home+Audio+Speakers-_-9SIA1J71Z92033

Klipsch makes some damn fine speakers. The price on this set is lower than I have ever seen it. This gives you money within your budget to upgrade the amp/head unit as well if need be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

techywarrior

But wouldn't that have the same issue of not having enough space behind the towers? At most I can give them 10-12 inches.

Your room isnt normal. Your TV is up against a corner. You reflect already. So the closer to the wall you are, the less distracting the reflections will be since it will spread the sound into the room and compliment. The same it would if your room were, normal square, and it were to be placed against the exact center of the wall on each side of the tv, like most speakers are. The Same goes for placing a subwoofer in the corner of the room. Thumpy bass will be increased in corners of the room, than in the center if the sub is placed close to the corner. To reduce this I would aim the sub towards the wall, not directly at the corner, close to it but aimed at a flat surface of the wall as you can get. This would spread the low frequencies more evenly into the room and actually make the bass sound fuller, less punchy/directional which you said was already an issue.

You may also find like others said, placing strategic dynapad squares in spots does help acoustic clarity in strange room configurations like yours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Yeah, that's a tough space.

BTW - surrounds are supposed to be to the side of you so I wouldn't move those.

The couch being right against the back wall is not helping you either but I understand the space constraints you are dealing with.

I would move the sub to the other side of your entertainment center and not corner-load it given your couch placement.  But, really, you should move it around the room and see where it sounds best and where it doesn't contribute to the muddled voices.  "Aiming" it, I'm afraid is not possible as low frequency sound radiates from a central point as a sphere.  So, you have to just re-locate the whole thing.  You could also try putting it beside the couch.

You have impossible stereo (or surround) imaging in that space due to it not being symmetrical to the sides but that is just something you have to deal with. 

techywarrior

It's a terrible media space but the condo as a whole is really great. Since we live basically in the city the options for residence are basically very old houses, brand new condo buildings, or very weird multi family living houses.

We bought a new condo unit :)

Ebr, I didn't mean really moving the surrounds but I was told they should be angled in or more pointing towards your ear, or above. I figured I might be able to adjust them a bit to have them pointed more towards the couch as opposed to being next to the couch but pointing at the TV.

If I move the sub then the TV ends up very far into the corner which makes the viewing angle awkward from the one side of the couch. Moving the couch over into the corner more then it is loses the one end table.

I think everything is in the best location they can be for the space... but definitely not the best location for sound. I'm sort of stuck with the room but if the sound is better (even tho it may not be as good as it could be with the speakers I purchase) it will be a net win. And in the future when the sound is beamed to us via laser this will no longer be an issue and I can enjoy my movies in perfect sound quality :)

Edited by techywarrior

Oh, I see on the surrounds - yeah, well they are acting as single firing bi-poles giving you a diffuse side surround field ;).

I'm sure new speakers will help at least some.  Best of luck.