VPN for M3U with dockerized Emby

vdrover

vdrover

After struggling for years with Linux permissions, I've decided to rebuild my entire Emby system using docker, based on this how-to guide. I have a working prototype on my laptop that is nearly perfect, but last night I discovered a problem that is preventing me from moving the system to my dedicated media server (a NUC running ubuntu 22).

Before I describe the problem, understand that I want to use Gluetun as a VPN kill switch. I have this container set up and it is working well. Basically, gluetun becomes a vpn-protected network. Here is a snippet of my docker compose file for the gluetun container:

gluetun:
  image: qmcgaw/gluetun
  container_name: gluetun
  restart: always
  cap_add:
    - NET_ADMIN

Then, you configure the other containers to use this network. Here is a snippet of my docker compose file for the emby container:

emby:
    image: emby/embyserver
    container_name: embyserver
    runtime: nvidia # Expose NVIDIA GPUs
    network_mode: "service:gluetun"

Notice the `network_mode` is `"service:gluetun"` instead of `host`. This is the crux of the problem. 

So, my IPTV works perfectly. If the VPN disconnects, Emby stops playback of an IPTV channel.

For OTA channels via Homerun, we have a problem. It seems that the Homerun tuner and Emby must be on the same subnet for tuner discovery to work properly in Emby. But with Emby in a container, i have these IP addresses:

• Tuner: http://192.168.81.239
  • Containerized Emby: http://192.168.89.6:8096

When I try to add the Tuner IP in Emby, I get an error. The `detect devices` button also fails.

If I switch my Emby container network_mode back to `host`, the homerun works as expected, but my IPTV no longer uses the gluetun kill switch.

I'd love some ideas on getting the homerun to show up in emby when on a different subnet. Otherwise, I may containerize my IPTV source (perhaps with this tool), and then switch Emby back to `network_mode: host`. 

I'm open to any feedback and creative thinking on this, though putting the entire PC behind a VPN is something I prefer to avoid.

Edited by vdrover

When I try to add the Tuner IP in Emby, I get an error. The `detect devices` button also fails.

Hi, what error?

vdrover
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what error?

When I first set up the Emby container, I used network_mode `host` and the Homerun was detected and added fine, and playback was perfect.

Then I switched to network_mode `service:glueten`. After restarting the containers, the Homerun was still present in the liveTV settings, but OTA channel playback was failing. That's when I started troubleshooting, deleted the existing homerun and tried re-adding it. The error I get now is:

`There was an error saving the TV provider. Please ensure it is accessible and try again.`

1 hour ago, vdrover said:

When I first set up the Emby container, I used network_mode `host` and the Homerun was detected and added fine, and playback was perfect.

Then I switched to network_mode `service:glueten`. After restarting the containers, the Homerun was still present in the liveTV settings, but OTA channel playback was failing. That's when I started troubleshooting, deleted the existing homerun and tried re-adding it. The error I get now is:

`There was an error saving the TV provider. Please ensure it is accessible and try again.`

OK, please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do that:

Thanks.

TMCsw
7 hours ago, vdrover said:

Then I switched to network_mode `service:glueten`.

Long shot here but is there somewhere in glueten a setting that contains 192.168.0.0/24 ? If there is try changing it to  192.168.0.0/16 .

Edited by TMCsw
/8 to /24

vdrover

@LukeThis is 99% most likely related to how HDHR broadcasts it's availability. I'm not sure the logs are informative here, but I will attach if you like.

On 4/10/2023 at 5:09 PM, vdrover said:

@LukeThis is 99% most likely related to how HDHR broadcasts it's availability. I'm not sure the logs are informative here, but I will attach if you like.

That would be great, thanks.

23 minutes ago, vdrover said:

So, the logs when I try to add the HDHR? 

From when the problem is experience, yes. Thanks.