Nvidia Shield + TruHD transcodes even though it’s natively supported

xboarder56

xboarder56

Hi all, 

I have a nvidia shield, LG CX, and a Sonos arc. When playing stuff from the shield with other apps it plays atmos usually over Dolby digital plus just fine.

While using Emby if I turn off audio transcoding on the server for my user it plays the atmos perfectly fine. However, if that setting is enabled it will transcode the audio and remove atmos because the Sonos is getting PCM 7.1 instead. 

Having transcoding disabled on audio is a pin because I want to use the same account for my mobile devices too. Is there a way to see why it’s breaking? Because I can disable it, and it still plays back fine it feels like a bug with Emby but hard to see. 

roaku

Your post is a little unclear. The title mentions TrueHD, but the body only mentions Atmos and DD+.

Are you talking about TrueHD + Atmos?

DD+ + Atmos?

Both?

You may already know all this, but...

DD+ + Atmos is what any streaming service would be providing and is pretty broadly supported on hardware.

TrueHD + Atmos would only originate from a Bluray and is much less supported on streaming hardware.

It looks like your receiver supports TrueHD, but only through eArc: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-home-theater-audio-formats?language=en_US

Is that how you have it set up?

Edited by roaku

xboarder56

Yeah I have it all working over eARC and yes truHD rip with atmos embedded. The issue is sometimes Emby will transcode it vs direct playing. If it direct plays it works as expected. But the same rip I have had it doing both. If I turn off audio transcoding to force direct playing it’s totally fine. 

the shield I believe should direct play truhd + atmos just fine from my understanding so it shouldn’t ever need to transcode that. 

Edited by xboarder56

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, xboarder56 said:

The issue is sometimes Emby will transcode it vs direct playing.

Have you looked at SFN for why it is transcoding? Next time it happens (or you reproduce the issue), post ffmpeg log created. 

roaku

Yes, I have a Shield specifically for TrueHD and DTS-HD and Emby happily plays TrueHD with and without Atmos for me.

Have you tried rebooting the Shield while the TV and receiver are on in case someone in the chain is failing to report the full capabilities of the hardware chain?