Request to pass AC-4 and VC-1 untouched to new Fire Cube

cncb

Please add the options to pass AC-4 audio and VC-1 video untouched to the new Fire Cube (gen 3).  I would like to avoid transcoding whenever possible.

Recordings with AC-4 audio are transcoded because the audio is unsupported, but isn't it possible to have ffmpeg in the Emby app decode to multi-channel PCM like it does with DTS-HD?

Similarly, I have confirmed that Kodi can play VC-1 video unconverted on the new Fire Cube.  I assume the Fire Cube is powerful enough to handle software decoding.

RanmaCanada
20 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Luke, we need the FireTV app updated, period.  I just had a long discussion with one of my friends as to why one of her shows was buffering like mad and how to fix it (as I encoded them in AV1 and she uses a 4k Max), and her response was "I read most of those words but I didn't understand them"  We've been waiting for months (well over 6)and telling us to tell our users or ourselves to "sideload the standard Android app" is not a feasible answer.  I'm sorry but is it Amazon who is dragging their feet?  Or are you unable to say?

21 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

we need the FireTV app updated,

Specifically, what update are you looking for?  Have you tested the current beta of the Fire app and confirmed it is what you need?

RanmaCanada
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Specifically, what update are you looking for?  Have you tested the current beta of the Fire app and confirmed it is what you need?

Well for one, the ability to play AV1 and the issue with AAC 7.1 audio breaking playback.  Telling me to install the Beta doesn't help my family and friends who are tech stupid.  We've been waiting for months for these issues to be resolved, at least since September 2022, if not earlier.   Parotting "sideload the standard app" every time an issue arises, is sadly not good enough.  Is it Amazon certification that is holding everything back?  LIke how Samsung won't allow the app in Canada?

17 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

Telling me to install the Beta doesn't help my family and friends who are tech stupid.

Hi.  I did not do that.  I asked if you had tested to see if the current beta solved your issues.  If it doesn't, then it would do no good for Amazon to promote it.

On 3/29/2023 at 4:31 PM, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

I tested the standard app on the Fire Cube and found the following:

1) AC-4 is passed on as is (says Direct Play) and plays properly.

2) VC-1 is also reported as Direct Play using the ffmpeg Renderer but playback is choppy.  Whatever Kodi is using results in perfect playback.

13 hours ago, cncb said:

Can at least the AC-4 Direct Play be brought to the Fire TV app, please?

Hi.  Have you tried the current beta of the app?

But even the release of the app checks for AC4 support on the device.

On 4/4/2023 at 9:52 AM, ebr said:

But even the release of the app checks for AC4 support on the device.

I guess it isn’t working properly then in the Fire TV version. It works in the standard app.

17 hours ago, cncb said:

I just sent the logs.  I watched Quantum Leap at ~3:50 PM and sent the logs a few minutes later.  Thanks.

You didn't tell me what the user or server was but the log I found around that time was very short with no playback in it.  Can you please send the log right from the playback OSD after playing for only a few seconds?  Thanks.

On 4/8/2023 at 9:43 AM, ebr said:

Can you please send the log right from the playback OSD after playing for only a few seconds?

I just did this at ~5:50PM watching Quantum Leap again.  User: Family, Server: BASE

Thanks.  Yeah, something odd is going on there but, if the standard app is working, then that will be the way forward.

Will the standard app be available from the Amazon App Store, rather than having to sideload updates?  Also, will there be an option to decode DTS-HD to PCM like in the Fire TV app?

18 hours ago, cncb said:

Will the standard app be available from the Amazon App Store, rather than having to sideload updates? 

That is our plan.

• 2 weeks later...

The sideloaded standard app also does not show up in the My Apps section for me.  I have to access it through Settings | Applications.

1 hour ago, cncb said:

The sideloaded standard app also does not show up in the My Apps section for me.  I have to access it through Settings | Applications.

Is that the only drawback?

The only other drawbacks for me are no option to decode DTS-HD (it sends normal dts to my AVR) and no control over VC-1 transcoding.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
cncb

Every time I go into my recordings Library in the standard app on Fire TV it defaults to "Folders" instead of the last used "Shows".  Is there a way to have it default to Shows?

2 hours ago, cncb said:

Every time I go into my recordings Library in the standard app on Fire TV it defaults to "Folders" instead of the last used "Shows".  Is there a way to have it default to Shows?

Hi.  Click on the "cog" at the top right of the screen when in that library.

cncb
On 5/15/2023 at 5:33 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Click on the "cog" at the top right of the screen when in that library.

I don’t see a cog in the standard app?

1 hour ago, cncb said:

I don’t see a cog in the standard app?

Okay, sorry, I missed the "standard" in your message.  The default tabs are all conglomerated inside the "Home Screen" settings of your User Settings (click user icon).

cncb
5 hours ago, ebr said:

The default tabs are all conglomerated inside the "Home Screen" settings of your User Settings (click user icon).

The Recordings library does not seem to have a "Default Screen" setting unlike other libraries.  Maybe because it is a "mixed" library?