Maximum bitrate detection

Bagul

Bagul
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

No - I mean, it would transcode properly because most of the media is below that maximum.  This is what I was referring to here:

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your message. If we assume that there is no transcoding (that the media is in direct playback) on a media and that during a certain time the bitrate of the video exceeds that of the connection (the bitrate triples, this is the example I gave above that happened to me). So the video is sent slower than the connection allows, right?

So in case there is no transcoding the video will stop.

If the user drops quality from the player and the server has to transcode the video, the user won't have any more playback problem since the bitrate will be constant and not variable.

I don't know if I have answered your question

Q-Droid
55 minutes ago, Bagul said:

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your message. If we assume that there is no transcoding (that the media is in direct playback) on a media and that during a certain time the bitrate of the video exceeds that of the connection (the bitrate triples, this is the example I gave above that happened to me). So the video is sent slower than the connection allows, right?

So in case there is no transcoding the video will stop.

If the user drops quality from the player and the server has to transcode the video, the user won't have any more playback problem since the bitrate will be constant and not variable.

I don't know if I have answered your question

Emby does not control the transfer rate for the connection, it uses all of the available bandwidth. What Emby does is try to detect the available bandwidth and use that to determine whether the media bitrate needs to be reduced (transcoded) or can be played directly, based on the average. The transfer itself happens as fast as the connection allows until the client buffer fills. As @rbjtech mentioned this buffer should be able to handle the high bitrate parts and refill during the low/avg ones. If the high bitrate parts are long and the detected or manually set bandwidth/bitrate is at or very close to actual max then the client could potentially have a hard time keeping the buffer full. Same goes for unstable or variable connections, for example wireless or mobile networks. Both the server upstream and the client downstream are a factor here.

• Thanks 1

Here's an example to try and explain what I'm saying:

Your video is an avg of 5mb/s with a peak somewhere of 12.

You set your max to 10 (or the auto detection determines that is the max)

You play the item, it is below the max so it direct plays.

If, somehow, we discovered that the peak is 12 somewhere that isn't going to make a difference because the average (and most of the content) is actually well below your 10 max.

Trying to transcode a 5Mb mostly item to 10Mb is not going to work well and, even if it did, this would cause a ton of unnecessary transcoding work in almost all situations.

Bagul
29 minutes ago, ebr said:

Here's an example to try and explain what I'm saying:

Your video is an avg of 5mb/s with a peak somewhere of 12.

You set your max to 10 (or the auto detection determines that is the max)

You play the item, it is below the max so it direct plays.

If, somehow, we discovered that the peak is 12 somewhere that isn't going to make a difference because the average (and most of the content) is actually well below your 10 max.

Trying to transcode a 5Mb mostly item to 10Mb is not going to work well and, even if it did, this would cause a ton of unnecessary transcoding work in almost all situations.

I understood your message. If the bitrate is 5mbps and the maximum is 10mbps transcoding the video so that the bitrate is 7mbps is not useful and I agree, hence my message:

15 hours ago, Bagul said:

But don't waste your time I think this feature brings more disadvantage than advantage. But in any case thank you for your answer

Edited by Bagul