Emby on an AMD CPU ... What Performance to Expect?

TariqK

TariqK

Ive been using an i7 7700k for the past few years to run Emby (free version) on. I have been playing streams at 1080p maximum for 2-3 devices and have never had any issues watching on my AppleTV.

Now I am buying a new server and I have no choice for the CPU, it has to be an AMD 6900HX (long story).

Will any degradation in quality be expected due to switching to AMD?

Hello TariqK,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pmurphy0881

The Ryzen CPU you are moving to is on par or better in most cases than the I7 7700K.  So from a raw computational standpoint you should be sitting at a similar level of performance.  The big difference that I can see you experiencing is the loss of Intel Quick Sync.

To combat that loss of performance from that feature I would recommend that you go into your transcode settings and set "Enable hardware acceleration when available" to YES.  This will enable the radeon 680M GPU to use it's cores to transcode video for you helping to alleviate some of the load on your system.

You can confirm that the GPU is going to being used by selecting Advanced instead of YES and it should show your GPU as Radeon 680M and there should be check marks next to the formats it's capable of transcoding from.

BTW - This is a comparison of the 2 CPU's side by side. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-6900HX/3647vsm1792755

Hopefully this is helpful to you in some way and should you have issues just ask.  This community has been very helpful to me in the past and I'm sure they will be to you as well.

• Agree 1

TariqK
56 minutes ago, pmurphy0881 said:

The Ryzen CPU you are moving to is on par or better in most cases than the I7 7700K.  So from a raw computational standpoint you should be sitting at a similar level of performance.  The big difference that I can see you experiencing is the loss of Intel Quick Sync.

To combat that loss of performance from that feature I would recommend that you go into your transcode settings and set "Enable hardware acceleration when available" to YES.  This will enable the radeon 680M GPU to use it's cores to transcode video for you helping to alleviate some of the load on your system.

You can confirm that the GPU is going to being used by selecting Advanced instead of YES and it should show your GPU as Radeon 680M and there should be check marks next to the formats it's capable of transcoding from.

BTW - This is a comparison of the 2 CPU's side by side. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-6900HX/3647vsm1792755

Hopefully this is helpful to you in some way and should you have issues just ask.  This community has been very helpful to me in the past and I'm sure they will be to you as well.

I really appreciate your mind comment.

I should have mentioned that I will also have an AMD GPU (6600M), so will this make up for the loss of Intel Quicksync?

Lastly, isn’t Hardware Accelaration a Pro feature for Emby? I’ve never had Pro, so is it safe to say that I won’t miss it?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Happy2Play

Correct HWA is a Premiere feature so per benchmarks you can potentially say performance will be about the same.

RanmaCanada
On 16/03/2023 at 15:43, pmurphy0881 said:

Do not use userbenchmark for ANY cpu comparissons as the site is a joke, and NOTHING on there should be taken seriously at all.  The site should be removed from the internet.

• Haha 1

RanmaCanada
On 14/03/2023 at 20:11, TariqK said:

Ive been using an i7 7700k for the past few years to run Emby (free version) on. I have been playing streams at 1080p maximum for 2-3 devices and have never had any issues watching on my AppleTV.

Now I am buying a new server and I have no choice for the CPU, it has to be an AMD 6900HX (long story).

Will any degradation in quality be expected due to switching to AMD?

The processor in question has a passmark score of 24781.  The usual train of thought is that you need 2000 passmark per each 1080p transcode.

You'll be fine, just keep an eye on thermals.

Very roughly speaking, for a single full-transcode of a video, the following PassMark score requirements are a good guideline for the following average source file:

4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
4K SDR (40Mbps, 8-bit HEVC) file: 12000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
1080p (10Mbps, H.264) file: 2000 PassMark score
720p (4Mbps, H.264) file: 1500 PassMark score

• Thanks 2