Emby Theater Updates?

dshildreth
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

dshildreth

I am a premeire subscriber and we love your products and have for years. We primarily use Emby Theater with direct play.

I noticed the MPV is on version 0.35.1 with a lot of bug fixes between 0.32

Release v0.35.1 · mpv-player/mpv · GitHub

There does not appear to be an update for Theater since 2020.
Emby Theater for Windows Updated With Improved Performance, Better HDR, and More

Are there plans to update MPV in the product? Would love to help beta test if so. 

• Solution

Hi, I guess we've fallen behind on our blog announcements but the app has been updated since then, very recently in fact. It was last updated in December with the latest mpv that was available at that time.

• 4 months later...
JoeAverage92

As mpv is constently updated (with many interesting options concerning dynamic tone mapping using mpv.conf), is there a way to manually do the update? 

1 hour ago, JoeAverage92 said:

As mpv is constently updated (with many interesting options concerning dynamic tone mapping using mpv.conf), is there a way to manually do the update? 

Not easily. The version we have embedded is 0.35.1. I've seen the new 0.36. We'll give it a little time to stabilize and observe the issues reported against it and then gauge when we'll put out a release with it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
JoeAverage92
On 7/28/2023 at 8:23 PM, Luke said:

Not easily. The version we have embedded is 0.35.1. I've seen the new 0.36. We'll give it a little time to stabilize and observe the issues reported against it and then gauge when we'll put out a release with it. Thanks.

Do you think that I can test the last release of mpv by replacing the mpv dll in Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\electronapp\libmpv\x64 with the last one from mpv player (Windows) - Browse /libmpv at SourceForge.net (with renaming)? 

Edited by JoeAverage92

11 hours ago, JoeAverage92 said:

Do you think that I can test the last release of mpv by replacing the mpv dll in Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\electronapp\libmpv\x64 with the last one from mpv player (Windows) - Browse /libmpv at SourceForge.net (with renaming)? 

Possibly, we haven't tested this ourselves. We're planning to get an update out soon with the updated mpv. @softworkzThanks.

11 hours ago, JoeAverage92 said:

Do you think that I can test the last release of mpv by replacing the mpv dll

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Possibly, we haven't tested this ourselves. We're planning to get an update out soon with the updated mpv. @softworkzThanks.

The mpv.dll needs to be built with a certain set of components and hardware accelerations enabled. We had our own builds for this for years, so I don't think that the stock version will work. Just recently, we have changed our mpv.dll builds to also use our customized ffmpeg instead of the base versions (for various reasons).

In summary, this means the following:

• the SourceForge dll might work, but probably won't
  • in case it would work (basically), it will definitely not work in the same way as intended (by us) as it doesn't include our fixes and customizations
  • You can try it, but please don't report any issues here, because these would neither be helpful nor actionable for us

Thanks

• Like 1