The best 4k streamer in market today

CAPRICORNX10X

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

so 13th version no. But version 12 will definitely give!!
4K UI support
Avoid motion judder during playback using refresh rate switching

I'm still on Android 9 on my Shield pro - I have zero motion judder - just make sure you ask emby to match the correct framerate - 23.976 etc 

• Thanks 1

CAPRICORNX10X
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

I know of no TV box that uses a UI resolution over 1080p.  Is the Dune claiming that?

nvidia sheild tv pro dosent?

1 minute ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

nvidia sheild tv pro dosent?

Every TV box I know of has a 1080 UI resolution that is then scaled up to 4K if that is the ultimate resolution.

• 9 months later...
Chyron
On 2/28/2023 at 6:56 AM, CAPRICORNX10X said:

Shield has not updated the product since 2019. 

What?! This is just wrong.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/503663/shield-experience-upgrade-911-released-11122/

The most recent update to the Shield was November 01, 2022. Here's a list of updates to the Shield, by version:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/software-update/

I came here looking to see what the best current streaming box might be that I can travel with, and find you saying this? I have a Shield TV Pro (2019) at my house and it has seen several updates.

One thing I like a lot about the Shield is that, it being Android, I can (and have) installed a third party launcher/homescreen on it. The vanilla homescreen has this huge banner ad on the top for shows I don't watch, and the layout isn't really to my liking. So I installed ATV Launcher on it.

Edited by Chyron

RanmaCanada
8 hours ago, Chyron said:

What?! This is just wrong.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/503663/shield-experience-upgrade-911-released-11122/

The most recent update to the Shield was November 01, 2022. Here's a list of updates to the Shield, by version:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/software-update/

I came here looking to see what the best current streaming box might be that I can travel with, and find you saying this? I have a Shield TV Pro (2019) at my house and it has seen several updates.

One thing I like a lot about the Shield is that, it being Android, I can (and have) installed a third party launcher/homescreen on it. The vanilla homescreen has this huge banner ad on the top for shows I don't watch, and the layout isn't really to my liking. So I installed ATV Launcher on it.

The Shield is using decade old hardware, Maxwell that was released in 2014.  It's ancient.  Software updates mean nothing when your hardware is so old it has cobwebs.  If Nvidia had released something with more modern chipsets, it would be great, but it's so old it's honeslty no longer worth purchasing if you want the latest codec support like AV1.

Looking for a new box too

I'm on vero 4k and have severam google tv's.

On the vero i miss dolby vision, thatswhy i have google tv.

I love google tv, but i miss audio passthrough there.

Whats the best option to have both? I guess shield... but i'd rather have a newer box :)

I heared google is coming with new one too...

RanmaCanada

We have to wait for a new Shield at this point.  Even the new Amazon Firecube v3 can't handle soft sub Karaoke well.  It is so frustrating that this box does everything, but struggles as soon a lot of text is on the screen.

• 1 month later...
manutdsoc20

Are people still using the Shield in 2024?

I'm using Vero 4K+/V's but becoming tired of the Kodi solution.

Anyone using Dune and able to use a Emby client with Coverart?

cheers

rbjtech
8 hours ago, manutdsoc20 said:

Are people still using the Shield in 2024?

I'm using Vero 4K+/V's but becoming tired of the Kodi solution.

Anyone using Dune and able to use a Emby client with Coverart?

cheers

Yes, as it's still the best device by far for hevc, DV and HD Audio setups with passthrough to AVR's.

• Agree 2

manutdsoc20

How is Emby app on the Shield?

Does everything function well?

cheers

RanmaCanada
8 hours ago, manutdsoc20 said:

cheers

Yes everything functions as intended as long as your setup is done properly.

rbjtech
14 hours ago, manutdsoc20 said:

cheers

The Emby AndroidTV App (the one in the Android store) is the most TV focused and mature App out there.   Being honest, it looks a little dated now - but functionally, everything 'just works' with all playback controls very easily accessed.   Some are 'hidden' such as pressing up or down for chapters for example (while playing).

There is a long running thread trying to align the 'new' Android App to AndroidTV 'TV/Remote Control' functionality  and progress has been made - maybe it's me being stubborn or set in my ways, but I've tried to use the new App as a replacement many times and it's just not as 'slick' as AndroidTV.   Worth trying both for sure to see what you prefer. (you'll need to sideload the new App) 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1