The best 4k streamer in market today

CAPRICORNX10X

CAPRICORNX10X

Assuming I don't expect nvidia to release a new sheild.  What is the strongest streamer for watching in 4k with all formats.  Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos dts etc.

I saw that Dunr HD is releasing an interesting streamer.  Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus.

• Thanks 1

CAPRICORNX10X
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I think the Shield is still the most popular around here.

Popular I agree.
But the best? I'm not sure . Especially that there is almost no support.
Even the Android TV operating system are not upgraded.

CAPRICORNX10X
2 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I'd have to add being able to have an Emby client to the specs.  Can Dune players support an Emby client?

CAPRICORNX10X

what do you mean exactly  The dune-hd streamer is with android tv operating system.  You can install emby on it and run as usual.

• Thanks 1

CAPRICORNX10X
1 minute ago, justinrh said:

Oh, did not know that.  That's awesome.

Note that the streamer will soon be released.  I wonder if there is anyone who can tell us how it compares to the Shield, according to its specifications.

rbjtech
16 hours ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

Popular I agree.
But the best? I'm not sure . Especially that there is almost no support.
Even the Android TV operating system are not upgraded.

Not sure what you mean here.

The Shield has to be the most well supported streaming boxes out there - it's had constant updates since it's 2017 release and 2019 update and recently got a big Android OS version update (Android 11).

It is also one of the only streamers to have full certification from all the content providers and is fully DV capable (all profiles) - very few boxes have that full certification.

so yes, the only Dune_HD box that appears (on paper) to be more capable than the 2019 Shield is the Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus (it has AV1 decode support)... but time will tell.

and FINALLY a specification page that actually lists the important details !  Thankyou Dune !

https://www.dune-hd.com/products/homatics-box-r-4k-plus#specifications

(not convinced the player will do DTS-HD MA/X passthrough (bitstream) though, which would be a huge disappointment..)

Edited by rbjtech

CAPRICORNX10X
15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Not sure what you mean here.

The Shield has to be the most well supported streaming boxes out there - it's had constant updates since it's 2017 release and 2019 update and recently got a big Android OS version update (Android 11).

It is also one of the only streamers to have full certification from all the content providers and is fully DV capable (all profiles) - very few boxes have that full certification.

so yes, the only Dune_HD box that appears (on paper) to be more capable than the 2019 Shield is the Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus (it has AV1 decode support)... but time will tell.

In Some why you also agree with me. Shield has not updated the product since 2019.  For current hardware with support just an example in AV1.  There is already an Android version 13. The shield is stuck with 11.  Actually, it seems that nvidia is completely neglecting the shield...

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

I don't think those Dune boxes are Android TV. They appear to be TV boxes with Android. 

The box in question is - it says it's AndroidTV certified.   I think the older boxes were not I agree .. 

image.png.d75801d8c731d36b2bff6f077af30f92.png

It look a very capable box - but if Shield were to release a 2023 box - I'd opt for that without a doubt.

Edited by rbjtech

CAPRICORNX10X
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

The box in question is - it says it's AndroidTV certified.   I think the older boxes were not I agree .. 

It look a very capable box - but if Shield were to release a 2023 box - I'd opt for that without a doubt.

And do you think they will be released?  Any rumors about a new generation for Shield?

rbjtech
1 minute ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

And do you think they will be released?  Any rumors about a new generation for Shield?

No idea - the upgrade to Android 11 was a mess for the Shield 2019 (I'm still using Android 9 on the Shield 2019 - and it's working perfectly well.)

There are some rumours that they are not going to replace the hardware - which would be a shame.

AV1 is no where near mainstream yet - so there really is no immediate need for an update imo. 

For proprietary high end AV box's - the dune-hd and Zidoo have those covered anyway. 

Q-Droid
9 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

image.png.d75801d8c731d36b2bff6f077af30f92.png

That's a plus. Need more options in the market. 

• Agree 1

CAPRICORNX10X
9 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

That's a plus. Need more options in the market. 

I think I will buy the dune.  And I will sell the Shield Pro

seanbuff
14 hours ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

There is already an Android version 13. The shield is stuck with 11.

The Dune is no different, it is also stuck on Android TV 11

• Like 1

rbjtech
7 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

Either a Shield Pro or the 3rd Generation Amazon FireCube.

The FireTV Cube does not passthrough DTS-HD MA/X - so be wary of that.  It's also only 100Mbit Ethernet.    So for 4K UHD Remux's - It's not suitable.  I tested it and sent mine back for these reasons.

RanmaCanada
11 hours ago, rbjtech said:

The FireTV Cube does not passthrough DTS-HD MA/X - so be wary of that.  It's also only 100Mbit Ethernet.    So for 4K UHD Remux's - It's not suitable.  I tested it and sent mine back for these reasons.

Well that sucks.  I'm currently trying to find something that can handle complex Karaoke subs for anime, and nothing can compare to using a PC, but PC experience with a remote is garbage unless you use Kodi haha.  Then there is the fact that most streaming services no longer do 4k on a PC, and the whole DolbyVision and HDR problems with Windon'ts.  Nvidia needs to release a Lovelace based Shield.

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, RanmaCanada said:

Nvidia needs to release a Lovelace based Shield.

I reckon they're reluctant to do so as noone would need another device for, at least, the next decade then. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2023 at 7:56 AM, CAPRICORNX10X said:

There is already an Android version 13. The shield is stuck with 11

Exactly what would upgrading Android give you on the Shield that it isn't capable of now?

CAPRICORNX10X
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Exactly what would upgrading Android give you on the Shield that it isn't capable of now?

so 13th version no. But version 12 will definitely give!!
4K UI support
Avoid motion judder during playback using refresh rate switching

4K UI support

I know of no TV box that uses a UI resolution over 1080p.  Is the Dune claiming that?

Avoid motion judder during playback using refresh rate switching

In what context?  Is this a problem now?  I don't see anyone reporting it.