Force HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision in Sony XF90 TV

MrKiko136

MrKiko136

Hello, there are 2 TVs in my house a WebOS LG C1 and an Android TV Sony XF90 from 2018. Both of them directplay medias from a NAS locally.
When I try to play DV files that are not supported on my LG C1 (such as .mkv dvhe.08.06 or dvhe.07.06) from the Emby client, they are played in HDR10 only, ignoring Dolby Vision metadata and they run just fine. The problem is that the same thing doesn't happen on the Sony XF90. It forces Dolby Vision with wrong colors.

When I try to use an external player like Kodi or VLC, it actually works and it runs in HDR10. I would like to reproduce those contents in HDR10 directly from Emby, is there a way to do it? An (even better) alternative in order to reproduce correctly those files would be to convert them in .mp4 DV profile 5 and taking advantage of it, but I am still learning how to do so. In the mean time I'd like to play them in HDR10-only on the Sony TV aswell.

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by MrKiko136

4 hours ago, MrKiko136 said:

It forces Dolby Vision with wrong colors.

Hi.  Why do you think it is "forcing Dolby Vision"?  How could it do that if the TV doesn't support it?

MrKiko136

First of all thank you for your answers!

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Sure, I'll do it tomorrow.

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Why do you think it is "forcing Dolby Vision"?  How could it do that if the TV doesn't support it?

The TV supports Dolby Vision but apparently only profile 5 (.mp4 and not .mkv container). When I try to play profile 7 or 8 DV contents, The Dolby Vision  logo still appears on the TV but the colors are all green and purple, apparently because the TV cannot directplay those DV profiles. But when I try the same dv7/8 movies on my LG C1 TV from Emby's webOS, (also profile 7 and 8 incompatible device) the HDR10 logo appears automatically and totally ignores the Dolby Vision metadata, and so the colors are correct. This is what I'm trying to achieve on the android Sony TV: an HDR10 fallback directly from the Emby client app.

Those are 2 examples of movies that I'd like to play only in HDR10 also in the Android TV:

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

This is from the LG C1 playing it in HDR10 correctly and ignoring DV
image.png.3fd28643515541fed3d761abfcdf04e6.png

And this is the same movie played on the Sony TV but without HDR10 automatic fallback, with totally wrong chromatic range
image.png.d04c29b17c62f7a33fbd7bf480eb981d.png

Do you think is it possible to replicate the same result in both TVs?

• 1 month later...