No compatible streams via Internet after a restart

Eriol

Hello,

I have the following long lasting (2 years+) error:

After I restart my Emby server (installed on Linux Mint) and try to use the Android mobile app from any android devices through the internet to play a video it always throws the "No compatible streams are currently available" error instead of playing the video. Same time the web browser client works properly from the same devices, same videos.

But as soon as I connect to my internal LAN with any Android devices and use the App from there the error disappears and the Android app start to work from the LAN and from the internet as well from every device. And it's keep working till I restart the server again.

I'm not an expert but it seems to me that the Emby server for some reason is unable to start the transcoding if it's called via the Android App through the internet for the first time after a restart.

In the log files I attached you can see the logs after a fresh start, then an Android App try followed by a web browser try.

This problem really started to annoy me lately and I thought I give it a shot and try to ask for a help here.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-9bc51bf4-d909-4b88-814e-830f6a29f9ad_1.txt hardware_detection-63807581157.txt

Edited by Eriol

1 hour ago, Luke said:

HI, are you able to play any videos at all remotely from the android app?

3 hours ago, Eriol said:

as I connect to my internal LAN with any Android devices and use the App from there the error disappears and the Android app start to work from the LAN and from the internet as well from every device

@Luke Yes. Mind you I need to restart the whole OS to reproduce the error not just the Emby service.

If I restart the OS the App stops working remotely (it seems it does not start the remuxing) only the web browser player works properly. As soon as I use the App locally to play something all is fixed and I can play videos remotely as well.

Edited by Eriol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Eriol after you restart the server, if you wait a couple minutes, how does that compare? You shouldn't have to do that, I'm just asking for troubleshooting purposes. Thanks !

@Luke It doesn't matter how long do I wait. Like some instances days passed till I realized that I forgot to do the workaround after a server restart.

So the only thing that helped so far after a restart is to connect an Android device to the internal LAN and start any video playback from the the App itself.

• 1 month later...
Eriol

Yes and No: a new IP is assigned dynamical about every day, but the address in Emby is not changing since I use an FQDN there.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I have and it's almost always a routing/gateway issue or bad DNS record pointing to the wrong IP address.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:02 AM, Eriol said:

Yes and No: a new IP is assigned dynamical about every day, but the address in Emby is not changing since I use an FQDN there.

Turn off any VPNs while checking this:

From a command line (Win-R then type CMD and hit enter) enter

ping <WhatEmbyShowsOnTheDashboard>

The ping command will show the IP that your domain is pointing to.

Open a browser to https://www.whatismyip.com/
Do the IP addresses match?

Do you have a script setup to update your domain record whenever your public IP changes?

Close your browser and turn VPN back on the way you normally run it.
Open a browser to https://www.whatismyip.com/
Did you just get a different IP address then the first time?

Does it match the IP shown in your VPN software?

If it matches if you a problem for a few reasons.

• VPN is changing your public IP address
  • Public VPN's do not allow inbound packets unless the packet exchange was started from the VPN side.
  • Some VPN providers allow you to purchase extra a port forward at a specific POP location.  You would then have to set up emby to match the port assigned by the VPN provider.
  • VPN is not a good choice for this kind of setup!

If it wasn't either of these two things, please give us a bit more additional information such as what type of VPN your running. What computers or devices have this VPN.
Also why are you running a VPN in the first place?  What kind of problem are you trying to solve?

Carlo

Hi Carlo,

I don't use any VPN and I don't really see how did you concluded that based on what information I posted above. Most likely a misunderstanding.

This is a plain dynamic IP address assigned internet connection.
The required Emby ports are opened properly and are connectable from the internet. Which is also apparent since I am able to connect to the service itself and use it in certain cases as you can read above.
And yes I have a script setup to update my domain record whenever my public IP changes.

Please see my first post for the detailed description of the log files of the problem.
Also I now spotted a maybe ambiguous phrase in that post: with "restart my Emby server" I was referring an actual OS reboot not just the Emby service restart.

Recent update about the problem:
I updated Emby from previous to the current version and also I changed the settings of most of my libraries recently disabling real time monitoring and also disabling the library scan task schedules and now I am unable to reproduce the issue.
I have no clue how this could be connected but currently the Android app playing files every time from the internet as it should after a reboot without the above mentioned workaround.

Regardless if you guys need any more details or tests done I am happy to help.

Cheers!

Edited by Eriol

• 2 weeks later...

I updated Emby from previous to the current version and also I changed the settings of most of my libraries recently disabling real time monitoring and also disabling the library scan task schedules and now I am unable to reproduce the issue.

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

• 5 months later...

Well, it turned out that the problem did not disappeared unfortunately...
The issue is "stable" again (was already a couple of days later after my last post) and the only workaround is to play something over LAN before playing over internet.

I would appreciate some suggestions what to try since this is getting really annoying. :(

pwhodges

@LukeHow often, or with what stimulus does Emby check for an IP that might have changed?  Also when specified by a FQDN, as in this instance.

Paul

9 hours ago, Eriol said:

Well, it turned out that the problem did not disappeared unfortunately...
The issue is "stable" again (was already a couple of days later after my last post) and the only workaround is to play something over LAN before playing over internet.

I would appreciate some suggestions what to try since this is getting really annoying. :(

If your public address is changing frequently, have you considered a ddns?

@LukeI do have ddns.

And frequently in my case is about once a day... but how is that exactly related to my problem?

Again a summary of my problem:

I restart my Linux Mint server...
From internet:
- Web based access works
- Web based streaming works
- Android app based access works
- Android app based streaming not working ("No compatible streams are currently available")

From LAN:
- Web based access works
- Web based streaming works
- Android app based access works
- Android app based streaming works

Workaround:
After a server restart -> I start an Android app streaming (eg: I have to start playing a video) from my LAN -> the Android app based streaming from internet starts working as well.

Starting Web based streaming either from LAN or internet does not fix the problem.
This was tested from multiple Android devices.

Edited by Eriol

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Did your address change while you were using the android app?

The IP is not changing right at the moment when I get the error message if you meant that.

If you mean I use the app days apart and within that time my IP changed then yes.

Edited by Eriol