help with properly installing EMBY on truenas core 13.1

Dariusz

Dariusz

So as the title says, I am trying to install emby on truenas core using the community plugin.. by default it is set to install using DHCP but i receive and error at 50% mark when i use that setting.. so i tried unchecking DHCP and using the NAT option which completes install, creates jail and gives me an IP to log in under,, however when i use the IP, i get a message that it can not connect.. i am not familiar with truenas and jails and I am hoping to see if there are some sort of specific instructions i can follow to complete this install properly? I think i am installing it correctly, but i do not know why i can not connect to the server once it is installed.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if it helps, there are two versions showing up on the plugins page.. the 4.8.0.21 and 4.7.11.0, both of which i tried.  It looks like dependencies and everything get downloaded automatically from what i can tell.. is there something else i am missing or that i still need to do? I installed other plugins and all of them have worked just fine.. this is the only one i am having issues with.. 

image.png.cc66850b52d1c082231cbb14c4e89828.pngimage.png.ad5a23a24351f8a3b989cc6dabdb5e61.png

Edited by Dariusz

Dariusz
On 2/12/2023 at 8:52 PM, Dariusz said:

So as the title says, I am trying to install emby on truenas core using the community plugin.. by default it is set to install using DHCP but i receive and error at 50% mark when i use that setting.. so i tried unchecking DHCP and using the NAT option which completes install, creates jail and gives me an IP to log in under,, however when i use the IP, i get a message that it can not connect.. i am not familiar with truenas and jails and I am hoping to see if there are some sort of specific instructions i can follow to complete this install properly? I think i am installing it correctly, but i do not know why i can not connect to the server once it is installed.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if it helps, there are two versions showing up on the plugins page.. the 4.8.0.21 and 4.7.11.0, both of which i tried.  It looks like dependencies and everything get downloaded automatically from what i can tell.. is there something else i am missing or that i still need to do? I installed other plugins and all of them have worked just fine.. this is the only one i am having issues with.. 

image.png.cc66850b52d1c082231cbb14c4e89828.pngimage.png.ad5a23a24351f8a3b989cc6dabdb5e61.png

@Luke would you have any suggestions what could be causing emby to not be accessible after successfully completing the install from community plugin? A lot of older posts i went over showed how to manually install this.. but from what i can tell, everything is now done when installing the plugin.  Jail is created and setup as per older instructions, dependencies seem to be automatically installed.. really have no other clue why this won't get me into the login screen.. thank you.

Dariusz

ok, so i partially fixed my problem i guess..

i could not get the sign-on screen after installing emby from community plugin.. i came across this (https://emby.media/truenas-server.html) and ran it from shell.. it installed an older version of EMBY and it worked.. so i uninstalled it and tried installing again latest version from community plugin.. this time it worked but only when using the DHCP option i can get a sign-on.. if i try using NAT so i can use my NAS IP, it still doesn't work.. any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 6:16 PM, Dariusz said:

ok, so i partially fixed my problem i guess..

i could not get the sign-on screen after installing emby from community plugin.. i came across this (https://emby.media/truenas-server.html) and ran it from shell.. it installed an older version of EMBY and it worked.. so i uninstalled it and tried installing again latest version from community plugin.. this time it worked but only when using the DHCP option i can get a sign-on.. if i try using NAT so i can use my NAS IP, it still doesn't work.. any suggestions?

How did you change the install command?

Dariusz
On 2/24/2023 at 11:17 PM, Luke said:

How did you change the install command?

When I installed emby originally i tried DHCP enabled which failed the install.. then i tried the DHCP unchecked but NAT enabled which completed install but i could not get a signon  screen.  So aster playing around with it a bit and searching the forums, i ran the following from shell:

cd iocage-amd64
iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch master
iocage set plugin_repository='https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git' emby-server

this installed another instance of emby with DHCP.. i uninstalled it, then ran the plugin from community using DHCP setting and it worked and i was able to get a signon screen.  However i did not want to use random DHCP address and NAT still did not give me a signon window.  In the end, I decided to deselect both NAT and DHCP and manually assign an IP i wanted to use, which works for me now.. So i did not change any install paths as far as i know.. image.thumb.png.3cfdf168dc588167bd0fb2563765520f.png

however now that I can sign on to EMBY, new issue i have is I am unable to view my local folders.. i already gave permissions to a user 989 but it does not seem to fix my problem.. still trying to figure that one out.. any suggestions are welcome...image.png.da025788f4f0617da987ba7065a751ac.png 

Dariusz
On 2/26/2023 at 10:29 AM, Dariusz said:

When I installed emby originally i tried DHCP enabled which failed the install.. then i tried the DHCP unchecked but NAT enabled which completed install but i could not get a signon  screen.  So aster playing around with it a bit and searching the forums, i ran the following from shell:

cd iocage-amd64
iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch master
iocage set plugin_repository='https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git' emby-server

this installed another instance of emby with DHCP.. i uninstalled it, then ran the plugin from community using DHCP setting and it worked and i was able to get a signon screen.  However i did not want to use random DHCP address and NAT still did not give me a signon window.  In the end, I decided to deselect both NAT and DHCP and manually assign an IP i wanted to use, which works for me now.. So i did not change any install paths as far as i know.. image.thumb.png.3cfdf168dc588167bd0fb2563765520f.png

however now that I can sign on to EMBY, new issue i have is I am unable to view my local folders.. i already gave permissions to a user 989 but it does not seem to fix my problem.. still trying to figure that one out.. any suggestions are welcome...image.png.da025788f4f0617da987ba7065a751ac.png 

so in addition to me setting permissions and not being able to view my local folders, i figured out the issue.  What i never did was add storage access to jail.. emby software has a help  link to older version of freenas, however i was able to find the info here https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/coretutorials/jailspluginsvms/jails/settingupjailstorage/#:~:text=Go to MOUNT POINTS > ACTIONS,if it does not exist. which is for truenas 13.  it fixed my access issue.. just make sure to stop the plugin first and then go to "mount points" in the plugin menu for emby to link your pool storage. 

Edited by Dariusz
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
Binary_Tech
from the truenas 13 install instructions:

Plugin: emby-server
  Official Plugin: False
  Using RELEASE: 13.1-RELEASE
  Using Branch: master
  Post-install Artifact: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git
  These pkgs will be installed:
    - audio/libogg
    - audio/libvorbis
    - audio/opus
    - converters/fribidi
    - databases/sqlite3
    - devel/icu
    - devel/libinotify
    - devel/libunwind
    - devel/orc
    - converters/fribidi
    - converters/libiconv
    - devel/libzvbi
    - devel/ocl-icd
    - graphics/jpeg-turbo
    - graphics/libdrm
    - graphics/libexif
    - graphics/libheif
    - graphics/libimagequant
    - graphics/libjxl
    - graphics/openexr
    - graphics/openjpeg
    - graphics/png
    - graphics/tesseract
    - graphics/tiff
    - graphics/webp
    - multimedia/intel-media-sdk
    - multimedia/libass
    - multimedia/libtheora
    - multimedia/libva
    - print/freetype2
    - security/gnutls
    - security/krb5
    - security/openssl
    - textproc/expat2
    - x11-fonts/fontconfig
    - x11-toolkits/pango

Testing Host DNS response to pkg.freebsd.org
Testing emby-server's SRV response to pkg.freebsd.org
Testing emby-server's DNSSEC response to pkg.freebsd.org

Installing plugin packages:
  - audio/libogg...
  - audio/libvorbis...
  - audio/opus...
  - converters/fribidi...
  - databases/sqlite3...
  - devel/icu...
  - devel/libinotify...
  - devel/libunwind...
  - devel/orc...
  - converters/fribidi...
  - converters/libiconv...
  - devel/libzvbi...
  - devel/ocl-icd...
  - graphics/jpeg-turbo...
  - graphics/libdrm...
  - graphics/libexif...
  - graphics/libheif...
  - graphics/libimagequant...
  - graphics/libjxl...
  - graphics/openexr...
  - graphics/openjpeg...
  - graphics/png...
  - graphics/tesseract...
  - graphics/tiff...
  - graphics/webp...
  - multimedia/intel-media-sdk...
  - multimedia/libass...
  - multimedia/libtheora...
  - multimedia/libva...
  - print/freetype2...
  - security/gnutls...
  - security/krb5...
  - security/openssl...
  - textproc/expat2...
  - x11-fonts/fontconfig...
  - x11-toolkits/pango...

Fetching artifact...
Cloning git repository

Running post_install.sh
[emby-server] Fetching emby-server-freebsd13_4.7.13.0_amd64.pkg: .......... done
[emby-server] Installing emby-server-4.7.13.0_1...
[emby-server] Installing emby-server-4.7.13.0_1...
pkg: Missing dependency 'mbedtls'

Failed to install the following 1 package(s): https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.13.0/emby-server-freebsd13_4.7.13.0_amd64.pkg
emby_server_enable:  -> YES
emby-server does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable
Last 10 lines:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...