Did Microsoft just revolutionize web search in 2023? 🤯

chef

ya know what?

I actually really like the edge browser. Once you get rid of all the ads in the settings, and set it to a more tame UI (the default is absolutely insane, you have to change the settings), it's actually just as good (it is chromium), if not better then chrome browser. In fact I actually like the side bar tabs better... just my opinion.

screenshot.thumb.png.92f95cbbd749051b42ab5e855fa15e67.png

screenshot_2.thumb.png.41e7f0a3f1d5de86488a7d30a3e9f8e9.png

Edit: I'd best check out the dev tools before I make an actual option though 😉😆.

Edited by chef

TeamB
25 minutes ago, chef said:

Do you think that we'll see an even more intuitive model with even more logical ability? Is that what you mean by the ecosystem changing?

I work in IT security, so malware, sorry anti-malware, we dont write it haha, old industry joke. any hoo, the environment I was referring to was the malware ecosystem, as bad actors change their approaches, attack techniques and vectors the models need to adapt.

Language models have it a little easier as language does not evolve that fast.

Edited by TeamB
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, speechles said:

Do you expect your responses to allow paid placement in the future?

ChatGPT:

One thing to realize is that ChatGPT is a different animal than what was just unveiled by MS - which is a re-forming of web search using the technology of ChatGPT.  So the business goals and principles are different.

There is no way that paid placement or ads are going to be eliminated.  Instead, I think they are going to be a little better obfuscated...

We hardly knew ye

On Wednesday, Microsoft outlined what it has learned so far in a blog post, and it notably said that Bing Chat is "not a replacement or substitute for the search engine, rather a tool to better understand and make sense of the world," a significant dial-back on Microsoft's ambitions for the new Bing, as Geekwire noticed.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/microsoft-lobotomized-ai-powered-bing-chat-and-its-fans-arent-happy/

The issues I see there is (like in ChatGPT) you can train the language model from the text input. Which is amazing!

However, you end up with bad actors training their session of the bot in terrible ways. Then they go online, and anyone who doesn't understand even the basics of what the language model is doing, end up with their panties in a bunch. 

For example, this image was circulating earlier this week.

IMG_0997.thumb.jpg.4ca1a51383ff6973fc334d4f5526ecb1.jpg

For anyone who didn't know that the user had obviously trained the bot with key words in their conversation, prior to those questions in the image, would automatically give the chat bot bad press.

People who didn't understand how gpt builds the dialog, would be up in arms.

" Oh no it's the end of times!" 

🤦‍♂️ 

What is infuriating, is that threads on reddit, are going to kill this amazing feet of technology before it even has a chance to become something absolutely incredible for everyone. 

After having moved to Edge browser, I am quite happy with the overall usefulness, and happy with the customizations available. 

Once you get rid of the ads, and kill the tracking. It's actually (dare I say...) better then Chrome... Yes I said it. 

I just wish they would give me access to the chat bot before they kill this amazing thing they have done. 

Edit: before the internet and people kill this amazing thing they have done. 

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

TeamB
On 2/15/2023 at 4:09 PM, roaku said:

wow, he went all in

Striking a balance between safety and creativity is the primary challenge ahead for any company seeking to monetize LLMs without pulling society apart by the seams.

if society is that brittle then perhaps it deserves to be pulled apart by the seams.

6 hours ago, chef said:

For example, this image was circulating earlier this week.

6 hours ago, chef said:

For anyone who didn't know that the user had obviously trained the bot with key words in their conversation, prior to those questions in the image

I strongly doubt that the conversation in that image is genuine. To me it appears to be written by a human rather than been achieved by a preceding conversation.

• Agree 1

Junglejim
On 11/02/2023 at 21:32, softworkz said:

There's a wait-list where you need to apply to get "the full experience".

But there's a twist: They are saying that you can accelerate your application and get access faster by:

• Installing an application from the app store on all your devices (PC and mobile) which will
    • Change all your chosen defaults and preferences to MS
    • Make Edge the default browser
    • Make Bing the default search engine on all browsers
    • and more of these things
      but that's not all....
  • You need to be always logged in to a MS account 
    • On Windows
    • On mobile
    • In browsers
  • You need to install a certain tool which observes your computer and devices
    to make sure you are following those rules
  • You need to consent that this tool is collecting that data and sending it to MS

Damn MS, nothing learned from Google on how to do these things?

Holly cow! I don't think that's going to work for me! 🙄

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...