First Time HDR Media Playing Colours Washed Out

Spaceboy
Go to solution Solved by Spaceboy,

Spaceboy

i have a 4K but non HDR TV.

The first time i play anything with HDR the colours appear washed out. if i stop and resume the same movie then the colours look much better. the dashboard reports the movie is direct playing both times, and no ffmpeg logs are generated that i can see. the server log is attached, i was watching Amsterdam, started at 21.40. i stopped and resumed it at 21.48.

embyserver-63811152000.txt

On 2/5/2023 at 10:39 AM, Spaceboy said:

The first time i play anything with HDR the colours appear washed out. if i stop and resume the same movie then the colours look much better

I have no idea how that could be the case if something isn't tone-mapping or the TV cannot handle HDR...

• Agree 1

Spaceboy
16 hours ago, ebr said:

I have no idea how that could be the case if something isn't tone-mapping or the TV cannot handle HDR...

my first sentence of the post states:

i have a 4K but non HDR TV.

Right and I'm saying I don't see how what you are describing would happen - unless its a bad connection or something.

Happy2Play

Only thing I see in the log from first and second play looks like subtitle conversion.  Is it subtitle related?

Line 102646: 2023-02-04 21:40:45.589 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.87g playing Amsterdam. Started at 0 ms
	Line 102657: 2023-02-04 21:40:47.702 Info SubtitleEncoder: ProcessRun 'ffmpeg-subtitle_convert' Execute: C:\Users\MediaServer\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\ffmpeg.exe -loglevel +timing -y -sub_charenc:s:0 ASCII -i "\\ds3612xs\movies2\MoviesUltraHD\Amsterdam (2022)\Amsterdam (2022) - Remux-2160p.en.forced.srt" -map 0:0 -vn -an -c:s:0 subrip "C:\Users\MediaServer\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\cache\temp\a4e536320d6840ed923c7f428927479a.srt"
	Line 102661: 2023-02-04 21:40:47.892 Info SubtitleEncoder: ffmpeg subtitle conversion took 192ms for \\ds3612xs\movies2\MoviesUltraHD\Amsterdam (2022)\Amsterdam (2022) - Remux-2160p.en.forced.srt
	Line 104099: 2023-02-04 21:48:12.027 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.87g playing Amsterdam. Stopped at 444565 ms
	Line 104108: 2023-02-04 21:48:17.739 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.87g playing Amsterdam. Started at 434565 ms
	Line 128844: 2023-02-04 23:54:52.607 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.87g playing Amsterdam. Stopped at 7657280 ms

But does this suggest it is not direct playing?

2023-02-04 21:40:44.079 Info App: Profile: VideoAudioCodecProfile, DirectPlay=false. Reason=Android-Exo.AudioChannels Condition: LessThanEqual. ConditionValue: 2. IsRequired: False. Path: \\ds3612xs\movies2\MoviesUltraHD\Amsterdam (2022)\Amsterdam (2022) - Remux-2160p.mkv

• 3 months later...
Spaceboy

circling back to this...

currently watching the below movie and as you can see it is hdr but not transcoding and as a result the colours are washed out

image.png.137896235a694b1b517ff6b805826ebf.png

and in answer to the other question, as you can see it happens with the standard app too. what else do you need to see/suggestions do you have?

20 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Non HDR TV won't playback HDR content correctly.  Why do you expect it to be better? What am I missing?
Here is the list of monitors and TV's that can handle HDR.  https://displayhdr.org/certified-products/#tab-400

Correct but the app should be able to tell that the display is not capable of HDR and force a transcode (which hopefully color maps).

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

could this be due to upscaling settings onthe shield?

Don't think so.  Can you send a log from the TV app right after starting playing that?

Spaceboy
21 hours ago, ebr said:

Don't think so.  Can you send a log from the TV app right after starting playing that?

done - 12.41PM GMT, username Mark

It looks like the device is reporting support.  if you bring up stats for nerds what does the display support say?

Spaceboy
3 hours ago, ebr said:

It looks like the device is reporting support.  if you bring up stats for nerds what does the display support say?

I wish…

it’s a Samsung UE48HU7500, no hdr. There is an avr and a Philips hue sync box between the shield and the tv

stats for nerds

IMG_0895.thumb.jpeg.2db4155756f29d0870d530ce06cbc6e7.jpeg

Malamen

This is my solution for that:

image.thumb.png.1e7c5a65c286361f588d46a5aaceaa20.png

It's in Portuguese, but I think you can get there yourself. This is in the server options, obviously.

It works 100% for me. I hope it helps you.

Edited by Malamen

Spaceboy

well i have it set to "yes with either software or hardware" or word to that effect, so not sure its that.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say its the syncbox that is reporting hdr compatibility not the tv

FrostByte
51 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

i'm going to go out on a limb and say its the syncbox that is reporting hdr compatibility not the tv

Your SFN though isn't reporting HDR playback capability.  Shouldn't it say under Playback Info "HDR support: HDR10" if it did?

Edited by FrostByte

Spaceboy
35 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Your SFN though isn't reporting HDR playback capability.  Shouldn't it say under Playback Info "HDR support: HDR10" if it did?

would you expect it to if the tv doesnt have hdr support? something is telling the shield it supports hdr and i doubt its the tv

FrostByte
12 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

would you expect it to if the tv doesnt have hdr support? something is telling the shield it supports hdr and i doubt its the tv

No, I wouldn't.  Ebr though mentioned that something is reporting your device supports HDR.  If something is reporting your device supports HDR, then why doesn't SFN reflect that also.

Almost like SFN is reporting the end device and the logs are reporting anything in the chain.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

SFN should reflect the whole chain (which maybe it does) and the decision to TM should be based on that and not what the log says based on any one device.  If that makes sense.

FrostByte

Of course, if you have a HD Fury like myself then you wouldn't want the decisions based on the whole chain, but the next device.  The HD Fury tells the Shield that my TV supports DV when it doesn't and is reflected in my Shield settings.

• Shield -> HD Fury -> Video Out -> Samsung TV
  •                                     Audio Out -> Samsung Soundbar - > Samsung TV
Edited by FrostByte