Dolby Vision Tonemapping for Emby

MSI2017

MSI2017

Hi all,

So my MacBook only plays DV profile 5 (yay Thanks Apple, totally not a huge hassle). Which means that I have some profile 5 files, but (again thanks Apple) cannot stream them without it trigering transcoding.  Not that big of an issue, i'll just open them locally. But now that I have the files anyway it would be cool if I could use them for my family. 

At the moment, when tonemapping begins for Profile 5, it will give the signature green and purple look. Jellyfin looks to have fixed that and I was hoping this could also come to Emby, especially snce your recent update mentioning Emby will now recognise and tag content as DV @Luke. No rush, it's not that big of a deal for me but maybe easy and nice to implement when you have the time! 

J

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

Sure no problem,

2130986415_Screenshot2023-02-02at21_13_25.thumb.png.064bda00cefcc8d246e2527eac6ded8c.png

Did you enable transcoding tone mapping on the server?

MSI2017
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Did you enable transcoding tone mapping on the server?

Yes, that's on. (even have the developer plugin to gain access to the settings needed to fix some issues on Intel QuickSync tonemapping) Normal HDR10 tonemapping is almost perfect now, if a bit bright. 

I installed Jellyfin to test this feature as I have one TV that does not support Dolby Vision.  It does work but it is FFMPEG that is doing the heavy lifting. Is there a way to get Emby to use the Jellyfin FFMPEG?  There are probably some switches that go with it and Hardware Acceleration has to be enabled for FFMPEG to convert the streaming DV to SDR. (The DV type that does not have HDR fallback info).

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever ask for transcoding a video! 🙂

MSI2017
1 minute ago, Freddy said:

I installed Jellyfin to test this feature as I have one TV that does not support Dolby Vision.  It does work but it is FFMPEG that is doing the heavy lifting. Is there a way to get Emby to use the Jellyfin FFMPEG?  There are probably some switches that go with it and Hardware Acceleration has to be enabled for FFMPEG to convert the streaming DV to SDR. (The DV type that does not have HDR fallback info).

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever ask for transcoding a video! 🙂

Why would you want to if you don't have hardware DV support? I just want it because I already have the files, otherwise I wouldn't have them or need transcoding 

Hi!  My main TV is a DV TV and 90% of my movies/shows are DV.  I had some company over and we went to watch a show on the guest TV (no DV support) and it was all green'ish.  So, I installed Jellyfin and 30 minutes later they were watching the show with normal colors.  I never use that TV so I did not care until they complained and I had been bragging how we dont need Netflix and Disney!  This just allows anyone using that TV to watch anything in my library w/o having to find shows that are not DV.

The reason I am posting this in the Emby request forum is that Jellyfin is OK but not really ready for prime time and it would be great if Emby had this capability.

MSI2017
On 2/4/2023 at 7:13 PM, Freddy said:

Hi!  My main TV is a DV TV and 90% of my movies/shows are DV.  I had some company over and we went to watch a show on the guest TV (no DV support) and it was all green'ish.  So, I installed Jellyfin and 30 minutes later they were watching the show with normal colors.  I never use that TV so I did not care until they complained and I had been bragging how we dont need Netflix and Disney!  This just allows anyone using that TV to watch anything in my library w/o having to find shows that are not DV.

The reason I am posting this in the Emby request forum is that Jellyfin is OK but not really ready for prime time and it would be great if Emby had this capability.

That makes sense, thought you meant that you had no DV capable devices at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
southsko

So I guess the admins can address this as solved? /s

I was paying month to month, but then I did the "lifetime" subscription and never canceled the month to month.  I didn't care because I thought I was contributing to a good cause.  Guess I'm donating that month to month to jellyfin now.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: grammar 

Edited by southsko

MSI2017
2 minutes ago, southsko said:

So I guess the admins can address this as solved? /s

I was paying month to month, but then I did the "lifetime" subscription and never canceled the month to month.  I didn't care because I thought I was contributing to a good cause.  Guess I'm donating that month to month to jellyfin now.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: grammar 

Well I must say. I'm paying monthly and I'm strongly reconsidering. The time since the last update is truly bizarre, especially since I've seen plenty of people having issues and asking for an update. Issues I'm encountering are just waved away with "it is what it is". If this were an opensource free program I wouldn't mind since you need to manage expectations but this is a product we're paying for. And at the moment I'm not sure why. Hope @Lukecan shed some light on this situation and give some concrete information 

• Like 1

southsko
12 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

Well I must say. I'm paying monthly and I'm strongly reconsidering. The time since the last update is truly bizarre, especially since I've seen plenty of people having issues and asking for an update. Issues I'm encountering are just waved away with "it is what it is". If this were an opensource free program I wouldn't mind since you need to manage expectations but this is a product we're paying for. And at the moment I'm not sure why. Hope @Lukecan shed some light on this situation and give some concrete information 

The only reason I don't recommend JF is there is no native LG app.  Enter a firestick ($35).  I have given emby that x5 over the years.   Maybe I just use JF and buy another firestick?  As of now its no brainer.  

edit: analytics 

Edited by southsko

MSI2017
On 4/29/2023 at 4:04 PM, MSI2017 said:

@ebr @LukeJust got my email for the monthly payment and it reminded me of this. Is there any info? I'd love to try a beta version to see how it is but can't really downgrade easily so that's a bit out of the question. What's the status on an update?

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

@ebr @LukeJust got my email for the monthly payment and it reminded me of this. Is there any info? I'd love to try a beta version to see how it is but can't really downgrade easily so that's a bit out of the question. What's the status on an update?

Setup/platform dependent, but it should be easy enough to run the Beta alongside the Stable on a different port - just point it to the same media.

But I can tell you that tonemapping for DV5 is not in the latest Beta.   

With only 3 'likes' for this FR - I'm not convinced it's required either tbh - if you have the tools to source DV5 files, then just change it to use DV8 files instead - which tonemap just fine ... or create your own with freely available tools.

Edited by rbjtech

MagicDoubleM
On 5/3/2023 at 2:14 PM, rbjtech said:

With only 3 'likes' for this FR - I'm not convinced it's required either tbh - if you have the tools to source DV5 files, then just change it to use DV8 files instead - which tonemap just fine ... or create your own with freely available tools.

There is not always a DV8 version available, and it's not that easy to go from DV5 to DV8, one would need a synched HDR10-version for that workflow.

DV5-tonemapping would be a welcome addition here too, since otherwise DV5-content is not watchable on all devices and gets unusable in cases where transcoding is needed.

rbjtech
11 hours ago, MagicDoubleM said:

There is not always a DV8 version available, and it's not that easy to go from DV5 to DV8, one would need a synched HDR10-version for that workflow.

DV5-tonemapping would be a welcome addition here too, since otherwise DV5-content is not watchable on all devices and gets unusable in cases where transcoding is needed.

They are easy to convert with freely available tools on the net ..

Search for reset_9999 ...

• Like 1

MagicDoubleM
13 hours ago, rbjtech said:

They are easy to convert with freely available tools on the net ..

Search for reset_9999 ...

Yeah, I'm using his toolset for quite some time, it can do all kind of fancy stuff quite nicely. But for DV5 to DV8, one needs two separate source-files, which have to be in sync, DV5 and HDR10. Yes, you can use the toolset to generate a HDR10 version from a DV5-source, but that involves re-encoding. In my case, the end-result of this whole process will be re-encoded a second time through emby anyway (to match bitrate-limitations). So if emby would do the DV5-tonemapping thing internally, it would save me work and time, and as a bonus I could leave the DV5-files untouched to preserve quality.

rbjtech
On 06/05/2023 at 22:08, MagicDoubleM said:

Yeah, I'm using his toolset for quite some time, it can do all kind of fancy stuff quite nicely. But for DV5 to DV8, one needs two separate source-files, which have to be in sync, DV5 and HDR10. Yes, you can use the toolset to generate a HDR10 version from a DV5-source, but that involves re-encoding. In my case, the end-result of this whole process will be re-encoded a second time through emby anyway (to match bitrate-limitations). So if emby would do the DV5-tonemapping thing internally, it would save me work and time, and as a bonus I could leave the DV5-files untouched to preserve quality.

I get that, but I don't really understand why people source the incorrect file type in the first place... 🤔

• Agree 2

MSI2017
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I get that, but I don't really understand why people source the incorrect file type in the first place... 🤔

It depends on use case. I ripped some BluRay's before I fully paid attention to this. Additionally, hardware support might change. What my LG accepts, my MacBook does not. 

I was also hoping either @Lukeor @ebrcan reply to my previous message in this thread

Well I must say. I'm paying monthly and I'm strongly reconsidering. The time since the last update is truly bizarre, especially since I've seen plenty of people having issues and asking for an update. Issues I'm encountering are just waved away with "it is what it is". If this were an opensource free program I wouldn't mind since you need to manage expectations but this is a product we're paying for. And at the moment I'm not sure why. Hope @Lukecan shed some light on this situation and give some concrete information 

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

It depends on use case. I ripped some BluRay's before I fully paid attention to this. Additionally, hardware support might change. What my LG accepts, my MacBook does not.

UHD Blurays (DV7) have the HDR10 fallback for this very reason - they will play on anything, but the only source of DV5 is from 'streamed' sources and therefore there should be multiple sources 'available' - SDR, HDR10, HDR10+(possibly), DV5(possibly),DV8(possibly).   So the user just need to select the one that suites all their equipment - HDR10 is likely to be the most compatible.

Emby is generally constrained by what the ffmpeg does - so if ffmpeg develop DV5 to HDR10 colour mapping (it's not just tone mapping, DV5 is a different colour space..) then emby will inherit that.

There is also the 'legal' side of things - DV is obviously proprietary and licensed -  so I highly doubt emby would want to go anywhere near a possible license infringement.

But yes I agree - it would be nice to get an official statement on this from the Dev's, just to clear it up or close it off.

MagicDoubleM
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

There are multiple playback scenarios. I can watch DV5 just fine on my TV, but not on a tablet or phone. My fav strategy is to have best quality files on the server and let emby handle transcoding when needed.

MagicDoubleM
11 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Emby is generally constrained by what the ffmpeg does - so if ffmpeg develop DV5 to HDR10 colour mapping (it's not just tone mapping, DV5 is a different colour space..) then emby will inherit that.

Well, the toolset that was mentioned earlier is using ffmpeg to encode from DV5 to HDR10 (and SDR). However, the batch invokes dovi_tool to check the rpu for setting up min_pq and max_pq.

For DV5 to SDR it's just ffmpeg.

::HDR10
if /i "%out%"=="h" %ffmpeg_path% -i "%filepath%%filename%%fileext%" -init_hw_device vulkan -vf hwupload,libplacebo=colorspace=9:color_primaries=9:color_trc=16:range=tv:format=yuv420p,hwdownload,format=yuv420p -c:v libx265 -preset %preset% -x265-params crf=%crf%:repeat-headers=1:sar=1:hrd=1:aud=1:open-gop=0:hdr10=1:sao=0:rect=0:cutree=0:deblock=-3-3:strong-intra-smoothing=0:chromaloc=2:aq-mode=1:vbv-maxrate=160000:vbv-bufsize=160000:max-luma=1023:max-cll=0,0:master-display=%MDP%WP(15635,16450)L(%max_pq%0000,%min_pq%) "%output_path%%filename%_HDR10.hevc"
::SDR
if /i "%out%"=="s" %ffmpeg_path% -i "%filepath%%filename%%fileext%" -init_hw_device vulkan -vf hwupload,libplacebo=colorspace=bt709:color_primaries=bt709:color_trc=bt709:range=tv:format=yuv420p,hwdownload,format=yuv420p -c:v libx264 -preset %preset% -x264-params crf=%crf%:deblock=-3-3:vbv-bufsize=62500:vbv-maxrate=50000:fast-pskip=0:dct-decimate=0:level=5.1:ref=5:psy-rd=1.05,0.15:subme=11:me=umh:me_range=48 "%output_path%%filename%_SDR.h264"