Playback error for grouped stubs from separate libraries

joshinils

joshinils

I have a Library with my actual movie files, and another Library of a folder with stubs in it.

When a movie has both a (*.mp4) file and a stub (*.disc) these get grouped together and can be browsed in both libraries, which is great, and the "Auto Movie Version Grouping" plugin does its job well.

However, when browsing in the library which contains only the stub file, actual playback is not possible ("Please insert the disc in order to play this video.") regardless of which of the grouped versions I select. Browsing the same movie from the search has the same issue.

GrimReaper

I can somewhat reproduce:

5 hours ago, joshinils said:

when browsing in the library which contains only the stub file, actual playback is not possible ("Please insert the disc in order to play this video.") regardless of which of the grouped versions I select.

Ditto, encountering same.

Browsing the same movie from the search has the same issue.

Cannot reproduce, as either from Search or main movie library I can play normal version if selected, while stub fails with no popup. I can see transcode log being created for that playback.

ffmpeg-transcode-b3c65bf1-0f1f-47cf-a061-2b4926a76bdc_1.txt

@Luke

Edit: You might use strm files insted of stubs, that should result in successful playback either way.

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

joshinils

Because of linus' video https://youtu.be/jKF5GtBIxpM

I tried downloading one of my movies, does not work with the android app.

The problem is, that it always seems to choose a stub file to download, which is useless of course. And transcoding it doesn't make sense and fails.

The entry for the downloaded movie shows the path. And it's always the same .strm stub, regardless of which version or quality i choose beforehand.

It also seems i can not download different versions of the same movie, which i think should be possible.

Because of linus' video https://youtu.be/jKF5GtBIxpM

I tried downloading one of my movies, does not work with the android app.

The problem is, that it always seems to choose a stub file to download, which is useless of course. And transcoding it doesn't make sense and fails.

The entry for the downloaded movie shows the path. And it's always the same .strm stub, regardless of which version or quality i choose beforehand.

It also seems i can not download different versions of the same movie, which i think should be possible.

HI, yes that will need to be looked at as well. Thanks.

joshinils

I just noticed another inconsistency.

I generate playlists, which only point to a single file per entry, i.e. the stub file.

When browsing the movie, the entry for "included in" for playlists only appears sometimes.
I think only when there are no other versions, so when there only exists the stub which is referenced by path in the playlist' xml.

At least, this is also inconsistent.
And the "Included in" seems to only appear when browsing from the library which is generated from the same path as is listed in the playlist.

I generate playlists, which only point to a single file per entry, i.e. the stub file.

When browsing the movie, the entry for "included in" for playlists only appears sometimes.

Hi there, can you please provide a specific example? I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here. Thanks !

joshinils

When browsing my "Movies" library, it looks like this:1975344314_Screenshot2023-02-07at14-05-26Emby.thumb.png.fc4ed345884d0f809640aeeb00ed3d42.png559606876_Screenshot2023-02-07at14-05-35Emby.thumb.png.82a66eccf6a6b4fd00be91bea8dd0251.png865473845_Screenshot2023-02-07at14-05-14Emby.thumb.png.3f7224f88a73f6acb23fec2af5b92b0f.png

The movie Mad Max: Fury Road is in it as an *.mp4 file, and merged with stubs from other libraries, it shows thumbnails for generated chapters and that the movie is included in a collection, but not that it is also included in a playlist called "NAS", which is shown in the "Movies" library.

joshinils

When browing the "x jo bald sehen" library it looks like this:1138988693_Screenshot2023-02-07at14-04-08Emby.thumb.png.929b1d2a2965a7e975a6b8845400565a.png1655925521_Screenshot2023-02-07at14-04-21Emby.thumb.png.7ab21652361efa6a0439caf646758e0b.png644363586_Screenshot2023-02-07at14-04-34Emby.thumb.png.0261bbc4860b3fe5ce013e8f9b19b76f.png

There is the same movie "Mad Max: Fury Road" and it is included as a stub file, grouped with the mp4 file.
When browsing the same movie here, it does not show the thumbnails, and not the playlist "bald_sehen" and not the collection it is a part of.

When browsing the same movie here, it does not show the thumbnails, and not the playlist "bald_sehen" and not the collection it is a part of.

Hi, by thumbnails, do you mean chapter thumbnails?

joshinils

Yes, the ones emby seems to take from the file every 5min or if they are set in the metadata.

Somehow this is different from the scrubbing thumbs stored in the .bif file.

Offtopic: I'd love to have a preview feature where on hover it shows these generated .bif files as a gif in place of the cover

• 2 weeks later...

OK, whether you see the thumbs or not depends on which version you're viewing when you enter the video detail screen. We'll improve it thought to make it dynamic so that as you change the version, the thumbs will update to reflect.

• Like 1

joshinils

In the amazon firetv stick app you can not switch the available version for merged movies, this makes it impossible to watch a movie from a library that only contains the stubs.

For a library which contains both (stubs and media files, in separate folders), I had to disable access to the folder with the stubs for the user, so only the actual playable file is visible, which is then playable.

8 minutes ago, joshinils said:

In the amazon firetv stick app you can not switch the available version for merged movies, this makes it impossible to watch a movie from a library that only contains the stubs.

For a library which contains both (stubs and media files, in separate folders), I had to disable access to the folder with the stubs for the user, so only the actual playable file is visible, which is then playable.

What version of the Emby Fire TV app are you on? The ability to select version has been in place there for quite some time.

joshinils

server: "4.7.11.0"; FireTVStick: "2.0.79a Registriert"

As far as I can tell, the option to switch versions only appears when there are no stubs in the library.

joshinils

Just noticed another thing:

When switching versions of a grouped episode of a TV show (Twin Peaks first episode has an alternate pilot) the preview image does not change, as well as the chapter thumbnails.