emby server on openwrt

kufkis
Go to solution Solved by kufkis,

I have a couple of devices I am looking to see if I can install emby server on.  The first is just a testing device I have available right now so i may only use it for like a month while I create a profile.  It is a Linksys WRT3200ACM ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l) Kernel version 5.15.89 running on OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r21897-d40f59825a / LuCI Master git-23.013.73089-9634086.

My main device is a Model:HARDKERNEL ODROID-H2+: Architecture:Intel(R) Celeron(R) J4115 x86/64 CPU @ 1.80GHz with 16GB of DDR4 running OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r21807-09f313bfd7 / LuCI Master git-23.013.73089-9634086.

I'm assuming you dont have any ipkg or opkg files for me to use and that I am going to have to use the openwrt image builder to cross compile it here: https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git

My question is will I have to use the image builder to cross compile or is there a simpler way?  My follow up question if I have to use the image builder is if you have any tips, recipes, or instructions for openwrt users since my main router has enough resources (and a video card) to run the emby server?

There are instructions here https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/docker_host

I wasn't able to get docker running using any stable firmware from the openwrt website and the openwrt forum has mixed results and opinions on docker support in openwrt so it may get better... or it may not.  When I self compiled an openwrt image for the Linksys WRT3200ACM however, I was able to get docker running.  Like any other development snapshot, docker or any other program has the potential for bugs, possibly stop compiling tomorrow if i need to update/compile the docker program manually again, or to just segment fault at anytime.

Would it be possible to use UXC since they list it as an alternative in the link above?

Procd init system now supports Open Container Initiative Runtime Specification, extending its slim containers ('ujail') capability.
The uxc command line tool handles the basic operations on containers as defined by the spec.
This allows to use it as a drop-in replacement for Docker's 'runc' (or 'crun') on OpenWrt hosts with a significantly reduced footprint.

thanks,

I'm leaning towards, docker doesn't really run on openwrt. After a day of trying, there is no documentation i can find on running docker in openwrt (only some guides on a few linux desktops). Docker also creates an entire new container everytime I try to run it (taking up extra space everytime i run it), and if I manage to get docker running, the emby config seems inaccurate (some weird 172.16.X.X IP I don't recognize and no local ports opened) despite me running the commands manually.  I followed the emby docker installation guide and I believe I got success in starting emby but I can't verify emby is running since the network ports are all closed and I can't connect to it or really do anything after completing this step.  All programs are running as root for now while I try and lock down a working configuration so everything should have full permissions.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:41 PM, kufkis said:

There are instructions here https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/docker_host

I wasn't able to get docker running using any stable firmware from the openwrt website and the openwrt forum has mixed results and opinions on docker support in openwrt so it may get better... or it may not.  When I self compiled an openwrt image for the Linksys WRT3200ACM however, I was able to get docker running.  Like any other development snapshot, docker or any other program has the potential for bugs, possibly stop compiling tomorrow if i need to update/compile the docker program manually again, or to just segment fault at anytime.

Would it be possible to use UXC since they list it as an alternative in the link above?

thanks,

@kufkis Use UXC in what way? To run a docker container?

• Solution

Use UXC to run a docker container, yes.

I know you may not like hearing competitors but I used the Plex docker instructions and it answered my questions and allowed me to figure out what I was doing wrong.  Specifically the parameters and application setup areas seen here https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex.  Right after I read that, I had a couple of light bulb moments and got emby server working almost instantly on my Linksys WRT3200ACM using openwrt.

I still want to hear about using UXC to run docker, or if emby will ever be a native openwrt program i can compile so I dont have to run docker but we can mark this issue as resolved with the plex docker webpage link above being the solution.

21 hours ago, kufkis said:

Use UXC to run a docker container, yes.

I know you may not like hearing competitors but I used the Plex docker instructions and it answered my questions and allowed me to figure out what I was doing wrong.  Specifically the parameters and application setup areas seen here https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex.  Right after I read that, I had a couple of light bulb moments and got emby server working almost instantly on my Linksys WRT3200ACM using openwrt.

I still want to hear about using UXC to run docker, or if emby will ever be a native openwrt program i can compile so I dont have to run docker but we can mark this issue as resolved with the plex docker webpage link above being the solution.

Don't we have the same thing in our Docker guide?

https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver

You don't have exact same info in your Docker guide but close.

One was --restart unless-stopped was not listed and this keeps my emby server persistent after reboots. Before this knowledge, I had setup a run command at startup and a brand new container with default settings was installed after every reboot.

Another was simply information about "Webui can be found at <your-ip>:32400/web" of course substituted for port 8096 but I was trying to use the emby app on my phone to setup the server and not utilizing a web browser.

Lastly, there is a permissions error using docker and emby to access my USB movie drive im currently experiencing but the Plex site has more info on troubleshooting your UID and GID that got me closer to finding a solution.  Currently I can not access any folders in any of my Movies or TV folder on my USB drive but I'm going to make a new thread on it because I've tested it all day today and emby simply doesn't recognize any files on my usb drive although they are fully accessible and ive checked and modified the permissions at least 10x trying to get at least 1 file readable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 3:09 AM, kufkis said:

You don't have exact same info in your Docker guide but close.

One was --restart unless-stopped was not listed and this keeps my emby server persistent after reboots. Before this knowledge, I had setup a run command at startup and a brand new container with default settings was installed after every reboot.

Another was simply information about "Webui can be found at <your-ip>:32400/web" of course substituted for port 8096 but I was trying to use the emby app on my phone to setup the server and not utilizing a web browser.

Lastly, there is a permissions error using docker and emby to access my USB movie drive im currently experiencing but the Plex site has more info on troubleshooting your UID and GID that got me closer to finding a solution.  Currently I can not access any folders in any of my Movies or TV folder on my USB drive but I'm going to make a new thread on it because I've tested it all day today and emby simply doesn't recognize any files on my usb drive although they are fully accessible and ive checked and modified the permissions at least 10x trying to get at least 1 file readable.

@kufkis were you able to get the USB drive connected?

kufkis
On 2/20/2023 at 9:45 PM, Luke said:

@kufkis were you able to get the USB drive connected?

Yes. In one instance, the parameters were  reversed and I switched them. In the latest instance, I completely deleted all emby and docker config folders and started over and that resolved it.

• Thanks 1