Subtitles remains in off

alexcor
Go to solution Solved by alexcor,

22 minutes ago, emoiseenko said:

But SRT subtitles don't work either.

I haven't been able to reproduce that yet, but haven't given up!

Can you please do a test with movie 1?

First, please check that you have the latest firmware for your TV.  Please check the Samsung support/download area for your TV as there may be a newer version you can install via USB

If you update the firmware, please repeat your original test for Movie 1

If it still does not work, then just for testing, please turn off these user settings.  (Don't forget to save at the bottom of the page)

Test the file again, and let me know if subs play. Please post an image from Stats for Nerds for this test

image.png.785d29bc9036ed89f803f825694cab6f.png

After the test, please change these settings back (all on)

On 2/2/2023 at 1:09 PM, SamES said:

Can you please do a test with movie 1?

First, please check that you have the latest firmware for your TV.  Please check the Samsung support/download area for your TV as there may be a newer version you can install via USB

If you update the firmware, please repeat your original test for Movie 1

If it still does not work, then just for testing, please turn off these user settings.  (Don't forget to save at the bottom of the page)

Test the file again, and let me know if subs play. Please post an image from Stats for Nerds for this test

After the test, please change these settings back (all on)

Hi Sam.

Samsung has released a new update for my update a few days ago (version 1430.1). I've installed it but there is no changes on playback behavior.

I've also tried tests you suggested.

First, I've played movie1 with user 'tv' which has this settings

And the result is the same

After that I've played same movie with user 'tv2' which have these settings

image.png.68520d89d18dc1b5fbaddb323fa25794.png

Subs are played but with no direct play.

Regards.

On 1/29/2023 at 7:18 PM, alexcor said:

Hi SamES.

I've tried with some movies and these are the results:

Please note that I've used 2 different users and devices for each test.

The 2 users used are tv (my playback settings) and tv2 (your recommended playback settings)

The 2 devices are my Samsung TV and an android phone with emby app.

movie 1 - 2Guns
Overall bit rate            : 5 394 kb/s
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x800 23.976fps [V: English [eng] (h264 high L4.1, yuv420p, 1920x800) [default,forced]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 448kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 448 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 448kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 448 kb/s)]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: Spanish [spa] (subrip) [default,forced]]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: Spanish [spa] (subrip)]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: English [eng] (subrip)]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: No subtitles]

user tv on samsung tv--> subs not loaded (direct play)
user tv on smartphone app --> everything fine on direct play
user tv2 on samsung tv--> subs loaded, transconding enabled to Auto 1080p 60mbps

----------------------------------------------------

movie 2 - shazam
Overall bit rate            : 12.9 Mb/s
Video: HVC1 3840x1608 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x1608 [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 640 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 448kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 448 kb/s)]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: Spanish [spa] (subrip) [default,forced]]

user tv on samsungTV -->  subs not loaded (direct play)
user tv2 on samsungTV--> subs loaded, transconding enabled to Auto 4k 140mbps

movie 3 - 2fast2furious
Overall bit rate            : 15.3 Mb/s
Video: HVC1 3840x1636 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x1636 [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 640 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 640 kb/s)]
Subtitle [S: Spanish [spa] (pgs)]
Subtitle [S: English [eng] (pgs)]
Subtitle [S: Forced Subtitles (auto)]

user tv2 on samsungTV --> subs not loaded with or without transcoding, (quality auto set to direct play)

movie 4 - 21 black jack
Overall bit rate            : 1 836 kb/s
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x800 23.976fps [V: English [eng] (h264 main L4.1, yuv420p, 1920x800) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 320kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 320 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 256kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 256 kb/s)]

user tv2 on samsungTV --> subs not loaded with or without transcoding, (quality auto set to direct play)

movie 5 - escape from new york
Overall bit rate            : 17.3 Mb/s
Video: HVC1 3840x1632 24fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x1632 [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 640 kb/s)]
Subtitle: Advanced SubStation Alpha [S: Spanish [spa] (ass)]
Subtitle [S: English [eng] (pgs)]
Subtitle [S: Forced Subtitles (auto)]

user tv2 on samsungTV --> subs (both pgs and ass) not loaded with or without transcoding, (quality auto set to direct play)

movie 6 - fight club
Overall bit rate               : 4 118 kb/s
Video: HVC1 1920x800 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L4.0, yuv420p10le, 1920x800 [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 448kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 448 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: AAC 48000Hz 8ch [A: English [eng] (aac lc, 48000 Hz, 7.1)]
Subtitle: VobSub [S: Spanish [spa] (vobsub)]
Subtitle: VobSub [S: English [eng] (vobsub)]

In my opinion the summary is, on one hand, in android app everything works fine using my settings to force direct play, no matter size or format.

On the other hand, on Tizen app, direct play seems to enable when sub track is not compatible with it (PGS, VOBSUB) and every time a sub is played is because transocding has been enabled and no direct play seems to be possible.

I would like to know the reason why I need to enable transcoding to be able to play subs, because formerly I wasn't need that, maybe tizen update?

embyserver.txt 104.69 kB · 1 download

Hi. In order to explore deeper this question. I've installed a new emby server on Windows PC to compare the results with my Asustor server.

I've played all movies from quoted message and the summary is that in the same TV, I am able to play accepted subs (SRT, ASS) with or without transcoding enabled.

User TV (no transcoding allowed)

User TV2 (transcoding allowed). With this user Direct play has been autoset properly in all cases

This should prove that this is not a TV issue

Maybe, is there any issue with my asustor server?

Edited by alexcor
Correction

55 minutes ago, alexcor said:

Hi Sam.

Samsung has released a new update for my update a few days ago (version 1430.1). I've installed it but there is no changes on playback behavior.

I've also tried tests you suggested.

First, I've played movie1 with user 'tv' which has this settings

And the result is the same

After that I've played same movie with user 'tv2' which have these settings

image.png.68520d89d18dc1b5fbaddb323fa25794.png

Subs are played but with no direct play.

Regards.

So just checking based on your comments. 

Is the issue that subs don’t play at all, or that they only work with transcoding and not DirectPlay?

1 minute ago, SamES said:

So just checking based on your comments. 

Is the issue that subs don’t play at all, or that they only work with transcoding and not DirectPlay?

According to my tests from Asustor server to Tizen TV, allowed subs (SRT and ASS) are never played with DirectPlay.

8 minutes ago, alexcor said:

This should prove that this is not a TV issue

Maybe, is there any issue with my asustor server?

That does appear to be the case.

Are you testing on the same TV in each case?

I would go through the settings on each server side by side and check all server and use playback settings

Also try refreshing metadata for some of these files and see if it makes a difference 

Please let me know what you find

2 minutes ago, alexcor said:

According to my tests from Asustor server to Tizen TV, allowed subs (SRT and ASS) are never played with DirectPlay.

Correct 

ASS files have an issue, that is fixed in next release. 

2021 TVs, and probably newer had  an issue with DirectPlay and it was disabled. That’s why you need to leave all the transcoding settings on. It won’t actually transcode the video, it should just repackage the subs

13 minutes ago, SamES said:

Correct 

ASS files have an issue, that is fixed in next release. 

2021 TVs, and probably newer had  an issue with DirectPlay and it was disabled. That’s why you need to leave all the transcoding settings on. It won’t actually transcode the video, it should just repackage the subs

But, what about SRT? they are only played if transcoding is enabled and set, because with transcoding enabled and directplay set are not played.

In addition to this what about my tests performed from Windows server? SRT and ASS have been played properly in all scenarios (transcoding on and off).

19 minutes ago, SamES said:

That does appear to be the case.

Are you testing on the same TV in each case?

I would go through the settings on each server side by side and check all server and use playback settings

Also try refreshing metadata for some of these files and see if it makes a difference 

Please let me know what you find

Yes, same tv.

Refreshing metadata is not the solution, I've replaced all metadata previously several time with no sucess.

In relation to compare settings between server, I can advance you that playback settings should be the same for user tv2 due to they were created with default settings in both servers.

Anyway I will had a look on settings in both servers.

• Solution

The issue is solved.

This option was unmarked, maybe I've disabled it for any reason but I don't remember.

image.png.ad1914acf4303e708bbadafe83789a4f.png

After enabling it, I am able to play subs with or without transcoding enabled, just like I used to do.

So, sorry for wasting your time and I hope this thread may be helpful for other people.

• Thanks 2