Subtitles remains in off

alexcor
Go to solution Solved by alexcor,

Hello.

I am not able to see subtitles on my Samsung TV, if I select any subtitle track nothing happens, selector comes back to off option.

I've tried with different subtitle format (ASS, SRT, PGS...) and different files with no success.

I only get this behavior on my Samsung TV because if I connect to my server from my smartphone or a browser inside a PC it works fine.

This is my emby version data:

Server Version 4.7.11.0 for Asustor
Client Version 1.5.0 for Tizen

Does anyone know what is going on?

I attach the log file where at the end of it I made a couple of unsuccessful loading subs attempts.

embyserver.txt

When you select the subs file, how long are you waiting for subs to appear?  Can you wait at least 60 seconds to confirm that they never start?

Can you please enable all these 4 options in the users setup and try again?

They will cause you problems as the server can’t process subs and perform any necessary functions. There’s no good reason to have them off for normal playback. 

image.png.68520d89d18dc1b5fbaddb323fa25794.png

Edited by SamES

Hi SamES.

Thanks for your suggestion, however it is problematic because of this:

In first place I am able to play sub in other devices like pc or phone without issues using the same user and settings than in the tv

image.png.ace5b670c6845c7de80b33a8337e69d5.png

I set this options to force to use direct play because if I set option as you suggest, I don't know the reason but most of the time, emby choose to transocde instead of direct play in spite of select auto quality, to work in LAN and to play movies with no exvcesive bitrates (no more than 10000 kbps). Transcoding files excessively stresses my server so I want to avoid that.

image.png.e0ebc774135979fb7c00b78cca6bd2e6.png

It is true that if enable transcoding subtitles are played as well, but only when video is transcoded, in that cases that auto quality is set to direct, subtitles dont work as explained in my previous message. In some cases I noticed that subs are loaded with delay, maybe due to CPU stress, I dont know.

No matter what, in previous server and tv firmware versions (I dont know which one is the key) subs were loaded properly with my current settings (force direct play).

Is there any other workarround to play subs without losing Direct play?

Regards.

embyserver.txt

Let's go through an example.

Please enable the options, then provide log files and media info for files that are transcoding when you think they shouldn't, then we can work on solving that issue

It basically comes down to each device having different requirements that can DirectPlay.  Whiles subs on some devices might work with these options turned off, it will depend on what sub formats each device can support natively.

For Tizen, you will need to stick with text based subs such as srt, vtt ass/ssa (not PGS, VOBSUB) if you want to DirectPlay (and no TrueHD or DTS audio tracks)

When we look at an example we can determine the best way

Hi SamES.

I've tried with some movies and these are the results:

Please note that I've used 2 different users and devices for each test.

The 2 users used are tv (my playback settings) and tv2 (your recommended playback settings)

The 2 devices are my Samsung TV and an android phone with emby app.

movie 1 - 2Guns
Overall bit rate            : 5 394 kb/s
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x800 23.976fps [V: English [eng] (h264 high L4.1, yuv420p, 1920x800) [default,forced]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 448kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 448 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 448kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 448 kb/s)]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: Spanish [spa] (subrip) [default,forced]]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: Spanish [spa] (subrip)]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: English [eng] (subrip)]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: No subtitles]

user tv on samsung tv--> subs not loaded (direct play)
user tv on smartphone app --> everything fine on direct play
user tv2 on samsung tv--> subs loaded, transconding enabled to Auto 1080p 60mbps

----------------------------------------------------

movie 2 - shazam
Overall bit rate            : 12.9 Mb/s
Video: HVC1 3840x1608 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x1608 [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 640 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 448kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 448 kb/s)]

user tv on samsungTV -->  subs not loaded (direct play)
user tv2 on samsungTV--> subs loaded, transconding enabled to Auto 4k 140mbps

movie 3 - 2fast2furious
Overall bit rate            : 15.3 Mb/s
Video: HVC1 3840x1636 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x1636 [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 640 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 640 kb/s)]
Subtitle [S: Spanish [spa] (pgs)]
Subtitle [S: English [eng] (pgs)]
Subtitle [S: Forced Subtitles (auto)]

user tv2 on samsungTV --> subs not loaded with or without transcoding, (quality auto set to direct play)

movie 4 - 21 black jack
Overall bit rate            : 1 836 kb/s
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x800 23.976fps [V: English [eng] (h264 main L4.1, yuv420p, 1920x800) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 320kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 320 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 256kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 256 kb/s)]

user tv2 on samsungTV --> subs not loaded with or without transcoding, (quality auto set to direct play)

movie 5 - escape from new york
Overall bit rate            : 17.3 Mb/s
Video: HVC1 3840x1632 24fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x1632 [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 640 kb/s)]
Subtitle: Advanced SubStation Alpha [S: Spanish [spa] (ass)]

user tv2 on samsungTV --> subs (both pgs and ass) not loaded with or without transcoding, (quality auto set to direct play)

movie 6 - fight club
Overall bit rate               : 4 118 kb/s
Video: HVC1 1920x800 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L4.0, yuv420p10le, 1920x800 [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 448kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 448 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: AAC 48000Hz 8ch [A: English [eng] (aac lc, 48000 Hz, 7.1)]
Subtitle: VobSub [S: Spanish [spa] (vobsub)]
Subtitle: VobSub [S: English [eng] (vobsub)]

In my opinion the summary is, on one hand, in android app everything works fine using my settings to force direct play, no matter size or format.

On the other hand, on Tizen app, direct play seems to enable when sub track is not compatible with it (PGS, VOBSUB) and every time a sub is played is because transocding has been enabled and no direct play seems to be possible.

I would like to know the reason why I need to enable transcoding to be able to play subs, because formerly I wasn't need that, maybe tizen update?

embyserver.txt

35 minutes ago, alexcor said:

Hi SamES.

I've tried with some movies and these are the results:

Please note that I've used 2 different users and devices for each test.

The 2 users used are tv (my playback settings) and tv2 (your recommended playback settings)

The 2 devices are my Samsung TV and an android phone with emby app.

movie 1 - 2Guns
Overall bit rate            : 5 394 kb/s
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x800 23.976fps [V: English [eng] (h264 high L4.1, yuv420p, 1920x800) [default,forced]]

user tv on samsung tv--> subs not loaded (direct play)
user tv2 on samsung tv--> subs loaded, transconding enabled to Auto 1080p 60mbps

movie 2 - shazam
Overall bit rate            : 12.9 Mb/s
Video: HVC1 3840x1608 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x1608 [default]]

user tv2 on samsungTV--> subs loaded, transconding enabled to Auto 4k 140mbps

movie 3 - 2fast2furious
Overall bit rate            : 15.3 Mb/s
Video: HVC1 3840x1636 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x1636 [default]]
Subtitle [S: Spanish [spa] (pgs)]

movie 4 - 21 black jack
Overall bit rate            : 1 836 kb/s
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x800 23.976fps [V: English [eng] (h264 main L4.1, yuv420p, 1920x800) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 320kbps [A: Spanish [spa] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 320 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 256kbps [A: English [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), 256 kb/s)]

movie 5 - escape from new york
Overall bit rate            : 17.3 Mb/s
Video: HVC1 3840x1632 24fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x1632 [default]]
Subtitle: Advanced SubStation Alpha [S: Spanish [spa] (ass)]

user tv2 on samsungTV --> subs (both pgs and ass) not loaded with or without transcoding, (quality auto set to direct play)

movie 6 - fight club
Overall bit rate               : 4 118 kb/s
Video: HVC1 1920x800 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L4.0, yuv420p10le, 1920x800 [default]]
Audio: AAC 48000Hz 8ch [A: English [eng] (aac lc, 48000 Hz, 7.1)]
Subtitle: VobSub [S: Spanish [spa] (vobsub)]
Subtitle: VobSub [S: English [eng] (vobsub)]

In my opinion the summary is, on one hand, in android app everything works fine using my settings to force direct play, no matter size or format.

On the other hand, on Tizen app, direct play seems to enable when sub track is not compatible with it (PGS, VOBSUB) and every time a sub is played is because transocding has been enabled and no direct play seems to be possible.

I would like to know the reason why I need to enable transcoding to be able to play subs, because formerly I wasn't need that, maybe tizen update?

embyserver.txt 104.69 kB · 0 downloads

5c9b141743595_Untitled.png

42 minutes ago, Luke said:

5c9b141743595_Untitled.png

Hi, Luke.

Thanks for the tip.

The point is that I've been working with this settings disabled for a long time with no issues and recently, due to some change maybe tizen update or emby client update I am not able to play any sub anymore.

So I would like to know the reason and if it is possible to get my previous behaviour back.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, alexcor said:

Hi, Luke.

Thanks for the tip.

The point is that I've been working with this settings disabled for a long time with no issues and recently, due to some change maybe tizen update or emby client update I am not able to play any sub anymore.

So I would like to know the reason and if it is possible to get my previous behaviour back.

Thanks.

You're only going to be able to use subtitle formats that the TV supports natively , and pgs is not one of them. Neither is vobsub.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

You're only going to be able to use subtitle formats that the TV supports natively , and pgs is not one of them. Neither is vobsub.

That is not a problem because most of my titles have SRT subs, however my question is: It is possible to play subs on tizen using direct play? because I am currently not able to do that and formerly I used to do so using same server and tv.

24 minutes ago, alexcor said:

Do you use the version from the app store or the USB install?

Do you know what version of the client you were using previously? 

13 minutes ago, SamES said:

Do you use the version from the app store or the USB install?

Do you know what version of the client you were using previously? 

USB install, as far as I know there is no other option to install emby on tizen.
Currently I am using 1.5.0 version, and if I am not wrong, I was aware about this problem about a month ago with version 1.4.8.

So maybe with version 1.4.7 I was free about this issue. Due to I am not able to download this previous version and install it I am not sure about that.

Additionally, I've updated tizen to 1420.9 since the last time emby worked as I described. I am not sure if ater updating tizen subs keep working so maybe the issue has to do with OS update instead of emby client update. Due to I cant downgrade tizen version either I am not sure about this point.

Working through your examples:

• movie 1 / tv2 - Did this DirectPlay? (check Stats for Nerds)
  • movie 2 / tv2 - Did this DirectPlay?
  • movie 3 / tv2
    • PGS subs need transcoding/burn-in
  • movie 4 / tv2
    • This should DirectPlay - will need sub extraction so it might take some time before subs appear - wait at least 60 seconds on first playback
  • movie 5 / tv2
    • ASS subs should direct play, but depending on the language it might take up to 60 seconds for the subs to appear
  • movie 6 / tv2
    • VobSub subs need transcoding/burn-in

For movie 3 and 6, you should try and get srt text subs for these files 

For movies 1, 2, 4, 5 (ASS) these should all DirectPlay but please give it some time.  On the first playback, the subs are extracted and converted to vtt format.  This is generally quick, but depending on your server speed this might take some time.  After the first playback/extraction it should be quicker.  The 4 options above are required to be on to support subtitle extraction, when you turn them off, extraction won't work.

There isn't anything that's changed over the last few months that would have caused you to see a change.

9 hours ago, SamES said:

Working through your examples:

• movie 3 / tv2
  • movie 4 / tv2
    • This should DirectPlay - will need sub extraction so it might take some time before subs appear - wait at least 60 seconds on first playback
  • movie 5 / tv2
    • ASS subs should direct play, but depending on the language it might take up to 60 seconds for the subs to appear
  • movie 6 / tv2

For movie 3 and 6, you should try and get srt text subs for these files 

For movies 1, 2, 4, 5 (ASS) these should all DirectPlay but please give it some time.  On the first playback, the subs are extracted and converted to vtt format.  This is generally quick, but depending on your server speed this might take some time.  After the first playback/extraction it should be quicker.  The 4 options above are required to be on to support subtitle extraction, when you turn them off, extraction won't work.

There isn't anything that's changed over the last few months that would have caused you to see a change.

No, it didnt.

image.png.5ac2399d9020c4c537879d45b7cb05f9.png

No, it didnt.

image.png.3bd8d5eca4f6fbc01880ff22eeb3f813.png

• movie 3 / tv2

PGS subs are minority and I barely use them, I aim to replace them

• movie 4 / tv2

Yes, it is direct play, however I've played for over 8 minutes and still unable to play subs, it is curiosus that subtitle debug shows subs.

image.png.58cb01f97072871244e35abfd8f6002b.png

• movie 5 / tv2

ASS get same behavior that SRT from movie 4, I played with direct play however I waited several minutes with no subs

As said before, I don't care about PSG

• movie 6 / tv2

VobSub subs are minority and I barely use them, I aim to replace them

Regarding your last sentence, maybe the 'guilty' has been samsung with the last update, I cross my fingers and expect a new update that get me back my initial behaviour.

Can you please attach any ffmpeg and server logs for Movie 1 and 2?  The streams are DirectPlaying, but I'm not sure why it is container switching

Let's work through these two examples first, then we can look at 4 and 5 after that.

emoiseenko
On 1/28/2023 at 1:56 AM, alexcor said:

Hello.

I am not able to see subtitles on my Samsung TV, if I select any subtitle track nothing happens, selector comes back to off option.

I've tried with different subtitle format (ASS, SRT, PGS...) and different files with no success.

I only get this behavior on my Samsung TV because if I connect to my server from my smartphone or a browser inside a PC it works fine.

embyserver.txt 144.67 kB · 1 download

Have the same issue on my Samsung TV (UE50MU6100).

My config is:

Server 4.7.11 installed on Synology DS218+ (INTEL Celeron J3355)

Client 1.5.0 installed on Tizen

The problem is only with an external subtitles (SRT, ASS, SSA, the format doesn't matter). Subtitles within a container work well.

Until last week the subtitles playback had some issues, but not significant. Then one day subtitles just stopped displaying, and the selector permanently comes back to the off position.

An example log is attached.

ffmpeg-transcode-d80e8a69-4f86-4224-92eb-8cbe2055fc6a_1.txt

8 minutes ago, emoiseenko said:

My config is:

The problem is only with an external subtitles (SRT, ASS, SSA, the format doesn't matter). Subtitles within a container work well.

Until last week the subtitles playback had some issues, but not significant. Then one day subtitles just stopped displaying, and the selector permanently comes back to the off position.

ffmpeg-transcode-d80e8a69-4f86-4224-92eb-8cbe2055fc6a_1.txt 25.59 kB · 0 downloads

HI, try using the subtitle button in the video player to activate a subtitle track. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

emoiseenko

Even if I select a subtitle track, the subtitles are not displayed. If I select "subtitles off" once, I won't be able to select the subtitle track later on.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:09 PM, SamES said:

Can you please attach any ffmpeg and server logs for Movie 1 and 2?  The streams are DirectPlaying, but I'm not sure why it is container switching

Let's work through these two examples first, then we can look at 4 and 5 after that.

Logs for movie 1 and 2 attached

logs movie 1-2.zip

15 hours ago, emoiseenko said:

My config is:

ffmpeg-transcode-d80e8a69-4f86-4224-92eb-8cbe2055fc6a_1.txt 25.59 kB · 2 downloads

Have you recently updated Tizen?