MB3 Transcoding on small VPS

dlf_happy

Has anyone tested running MB3 on a VPS with (very) limited CPU/RAM ressources? Let's say with the cheapest VPS from digitalocean.com (1 Core,512 RAM) or a micro (1Core,600MB)or small (1Core,1.7GB) GCE-Instance. Since there is a docker image, I imagine it to be quite easy to deploy and attach some external storage.

I'm thinking about retiring my homeserver and going full cloud with the media. It might even cost less than the electricity for the 24/7 server (~$100/yr).

techywarrior

I would think that the storage costs would end up being prohibitive but I'm curious if you try this how it turns out.

I think for most people having a home setup is the way to go but this sort of idea could certainly open up MBS to be used for business file sharing. I have a few clients in the film distribution business and this sort of thing could be an interesting way to show trailers or even screeners.

I agree with your first statement. The storage costs will depend upon the size of your library. If you are looking for a way to share the latest seasons of your newly acquired tv shows with your family and friends, an encrypted storage of 1 TB for <$10 US (bitcasa) might be sufficient. You can mount the remote storage as a local drive in your VPS environment and install whatever magic software you need to 'snatch' (or sync) those episodes.

The VPS should cost you no more than $5 a month, maybe even less if you set up on-demand GCE provisioning.

In total this adds up to additional $15 for additional infrastructure for family sharing your recent collection, which is even less than the compulsory monthly GEZ fee (per household) for shitty public television/radio in germany.

Edited by dlf_happy

• 1 year later...

I agree with your first statement. The storage costs will depend upon the size of your library. If you are looking for a way to share the latest seasons of your newly acquired tv shows with your family and friends, an encrypted storage of 1 TB for <$10 US (bitcasa) might be sufficient. You can mount the remote storage as a local drive in your VPS environment and install whatever magic software you need to 'snatch' (or sync) those episodes.

The VPS should cost you no more than $5 a month, maybe even less if you set up on-demand GCE provisioning.

In total this adds up to additional $15 for additional infrastructure for family sharing your recent collection, which is even less than the compulsory monthly GEZ fee (per household) for shitty public television/radio in germany.

Have you installed and configured emby in the cloud eventually?

I'm also thinking about this idea but I was wondering if you cold provide some feedback about this endevour if you tried it.