Issue with Transcoding

altozar

Howdy,

having an issue were transcoding is too slow and keeps stopping, starting, stopping, etc.

I have been using a Radeon RX580 - 4GB card and did not have issues in the past, only since having to redo the server.  There is a premier subscription.

The only thing different from the default install of the server is I am running it as a service instead of an application but with the appropriate admin user details.

Also attaching a ffmpeg transcode log.

many thanksffmpeg-transcode-050980ce-2568-42e4-8c23-cd2b972f3083_1.txt

Hello altozar,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

rbjtech
38 minutes ago, altozar said:

Howdy,

having an issue were transcoding is too slow and keeps stopping, starting, stopping, etc.

I have been using a Radeon RX580 - 4GB card and did not have issues in the past, only since having to redo the server.  There is a premier subscription.

The only thing different from the default install of the server is I am running it as a service instead of an application but with the appropriate admin user details.

Also attaching a ffmpeg transcode log.

many thanksffmpeg-transcode-050980ce-2568-42e4-8c23-cd2b972f3083_1.txt

Simply put - the transcoding speed is less than the speed of the playback - meaning it cannot keep up.

I note you are using PGS subtitles - this is likely the reason.  Try using text based subtitles (external to the file) and it may even direct play and not need transcoding at all.

image.thumb.png.fbb9b660cb1d347d7624989242ac8acd.png

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, justinrh said:

@rbjtech what program is that?!  Some kind of log parser?

Tools created by Softworkz for troubleshooting.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Simply put - the transcoding speed is less than the speed of the playback - meaning it cannot keep up.

I note you are using PGS subtitles - this is likely the reason.  Try using text based subtitles (external to the file) and it may even direct play and not need transcoding at all.

image.thumb.png.fbb9b660cb1d347d7624989242ac8acd.png

Awesome thanks, fixed one of the transcoding issues I was having.

still not able to transcode down for e.g. I have set the play to 2mbits and it still stops and starts.  We use this setting or lower quite often when not at home for watching on our devices.  any idea what could be causing it?  attached are additional logs,  1 for the same episode but with subs off and 1 for a completely different video that has no subs at all and same thing.

Many thanks

No SUBs - ffmpeg-transcode-f781061f-cdf8-4651-ab0a-633fd0a08aa7_1.txt PGSUBS off - ffmpeg-transcode-b297e005-3430-444c-b998-d0ec2078c785_1.txt

rbjtech
51 minutes ago, altozar said:

Awesome thanks, fixed one of the transcoding issues I was having.

still not able to transcode down for e.g. I have set the play to 2mbits and it still stops and starts.  We use this setting or lower quite often when not at home for watching on our devices.  any idea what could be causing it?  attached are additional logs,  1 for the same episode but with subs off and 1 for a completely different video that has no subs at all and same thing.

Many thanks

No SUBs - ffmpeg-transcode-f781061f-cdf8-4651-ab0a-633fd0a08aa7_1.txt 24.06 kB · 0 downloads PGSUBS off - ffmpeg-transcode-b297e005-3430-444c-b998-d0ec2078c785_1.txt 25.29 kB · 0 downloads

For the same reason - it's not transcoding quickly enough.

Unfortunately, I don't have any knowledge of AMD/AMF transcoding - I know it it well behind Nvidia and Intel in terms of performance - but this suggests there is a problem rather than it just being slower - as this is just a single 1080p source. 

Have you tried re-installing the AMF drivers etc  and following the install guides ?

There are some emby articles here which may help :-

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160148-hardware-acceleration-overview

@softworkz 

@altozar The transcoding speed is almost the same with and without subtitlles. Just without subtitles, I see that the CPU usage is lower.

That means the bottleneck is not about subtitles (in this case, even though it often is).

It could either be an issue with the graphics driver like @rbjtech said, but first of all I would suggest to get the network storage out of the equation.

Could please create a test library on your local disk, move the file to the test library and try to play it from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out it was a Driver issue.  ended up stripping out the old and reinstalling the latest Radeon drivers and no issues transconding anything anmore.  

thank you for all the help

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1