Hisense TV with Google TV - video does not play

mleblanc
Go to solution Solved by victor@vialy.com,

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, victor@vialy.com said:

Says this. 

All direct playing. Playing perfectly.

IMG_20230405_170756656.jpg

Cool - the 'software decode' after the DTS-HD means it's converting it to something playable (likely AC3) - the log would tell you the details - but if it all works - then just enjoy .. :)

• 2 weeks later...
victor@vialy.com

I am still having trouble with some content with eac 5.1 audio, and some other audio formats.

I even came across on one video where transcoding turned changing the colors to green (4k HDR Dolby vision content)

Played with every single setting. And came across with "stereo downmix" Wich corrected the problem... In stereo

It would be excellent if we had the way to manually select the audio codec to force the audio transcoding to use, seems like Hisense Android tv is not communicating well with emby to tell what encoder to use. 

LinuxWalker

I have multiple Emby Apps in the house mostly a mix of FireTV and GoogleTV...

I just got a new short throw projector today and it's having this same issue... Philips Screeneo U5 Ultra Short Throw Projector

And yes, I can do the double video correction but that is not fun, I also used the External Video player option using MX Player...

But has an RCA been found? I am using version 2.0.83g it downloaded from the Google play store no problem...

Luke is that the same version on Github? I see on APKPure I could try some older versions

victor@vialy.com
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly what issue?

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

As I can see, this problem could be solved by adding more audio conversions to select manually. Not only "Stereo Downmix" 
For some reason, Android TVs dont like some audio formats and cause stuttering or even freezing. 
This happens with both the Android TV app and sideloading the Android App.

LinuxWalker

It only happens on my new GoogleTV device, what it does it displays the first frame and doesn't play, looking at the Server logs it's says it's playing, the counter is ticking in the dashboard...

Sideloading the App does the same thing...

I can get it to work using an External Player or do the Playback Correction twice it will work, however doing that every 25 minutes for a comedy is a little harsh...

I have 9 different Emby players playing no problem, but this device has Android TV in it and I don't want to have to use a dongle to use Emby (like Nvidia Shield)...

• Solution
victor@vialy.com
11 hours ago, LinuxWalker said:

It only happens on my new GoogleTV device, what it does it displays the first frame and doesn't play, looking at the Server logs it's says it's playing, the counter is ticking in the dashboard...

I can get it to work using an External Player or do the Playback Correction twice it will work, however doing that every 25 minutes for a comedy is a little harsh...

I have 9 different Emby players playing no problem, but this device has Android TV in it and I don't want to have to use a dongle to use Emby (like Nvidia Shield)...

Have you tried the "stereo downmix" option in the apps audio/video setting?

I have been saying this is an audio decoder thing. 

LinuxWalker

Yes, thank you that worked! None of my videos were playing...

I have been using VideoProc to convert my h264 to HEVC with AAC

Looking at the shows and movies with MediaInfo, all of them were using "AAC LC"

mleblanc
4 hours ago, victor@vialy.com said:

Have you tried the "stereo downmix" option in the apps audio/video setting?

I have been saying this is an audio decoder thing. 

Very cool, that solved it for me! 

From the Emby app, settings->Playback->Audio Output, I changed it to Downmix to Stereo.  I tried a sample a videos that previously needed double playback correction, and now they play smoothly without playback correction.

victor@vialy.com
42 minutes ago, mleblanc said:

From the Emby app, settings->Playback->Audio Output, I changed it to Downmix to Stereo.  I tried a sample a videos that previously needed double playback correction, and now they play smoothly without playback correction.

See? Sadly only stereo is available. Its so sad. 

On 4/26/2023 at 9:18 PM, LinuxWalker said:

HI, what version did you sideload?

On 4/21/2023 at 7:31 AM, victor@vialy.com said:

I am still having trouble with some content with eac 5.1 audio, and some other audio formats.

I even came across on one video where transcoding turned changing the colors to green (4k HDR Dolby vision content)

Played with every single setting. And came across with "stereo downmix" Wich corrected the problem... In stereo

It would be excellent if we had the way to manually select the audio codec to force the audio transcoding to use, seems like Hisense Android tv is not communicating well with emby to tell what encoder to use. 

What is the specific problem that you're still having related to eac 5.1?

mleblanc
On 4/27/2023 at 10:48 AM, mleblanc said:

I should add that it's mostly solved for me, but some videos play with bad stuttering even with this work-around.  A single playback correction from the cog menu makes it smooth in those cases.

victor@vialy.com
On 4/27/2023 at 8:51 PM, Luke said:

What is the specific problem that you're still having related to eac 5.1?

Eac3 5.1 causes audio/video stuttering. Have to select downmix to stereo.

Sideloaded emby 3.2.92 with same results.

Any other audio format including dts-ma 5.1 or even 7.1 plays ok.

coffeehead
On 4/26/2023 at 6:18 PM, LinuxWalker said:

same issue only on the new google tv my old android work fine(same brand) it dont like direct  play. if it transcode it work fine but i dont want to tell it via the app to transcode it for ever tv show it work via plexx or kodi 

Stream

MKV (864 kbps)
HLS (3 mbps)
Converting subtitles directly into video
Video

480p H264
Main 31 864 kbps 59.94 fps
Direct Play (864 kbps)
Dropped Frames
Corrupted Frames

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 6:20 PM, coffeehead said:

same issue only on the new google tv my old android work fine(same brand) it dont like direct  play. if it transcode it work fine but i dont want to tell it via the app to transcode it for ever tv show it work via plexx or kodi 

Stream

MKV (864 kbps)
HLS (3 mbps)
Converting subtitles directly into video
Video

480p H264
Main 31 864 kbps 59.94 fps
Direct Play (864 kbps)
Dropped Frames
Corrupted Frames

What format are the subtitles?