Hisense TV with Google TV - video does not play

mleblanc
Go to solution Solved by victor@vialy.com,

nweishar
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Unfortunately the exact same result. It plays for maybe half of a second if not less and then freezes. Both the directly downloaded and sideload apps have the exact same result.

victor@vialy.com
7 hours ago, nweishar said:

How did you roll back? Which tag did you use? I'll try the same on my side

I am on a Seedbox, so, i asked the admin to reinstall previous version of the server and disable auto update.
But still, dont expect everything to work. Still have to use my phone to stream via chromecast mode to be able to play everything :(

nweishar
Just now, victor@vialy.com said:

I am on a Seedbox, so, i asked the admin to reinstall previous version of the server and disable auto update.
But still, dont expect everything to work. Still have to use my phone to stream via chromecast mode to be able to play everything :(

Oh ok thanks! At that point I'll try using my phone to stream and otherwise 🤞for a fix

mleblanc
On 1/17/2023 at 6:50 PM, GrimReaper said:

In AndroidTV app, bring up OSD during playback (press Down on remote), "Playback correction" is located under cog icon (lower right).

On 1/17/2023 at 10:10 PM, GrimReaper said:

Play the item again, select Playback correction once (that'll trigger remux) and then select it again (that'll trigger transcoding), see how does that compare. 

On 1/17/2023 at 10:55 PM, mleblanc said:

Interesting!  Selecting Playback Correction twice while paused allows the video to play!  Now if I stop the playback and try to resume, I have to repeat the Playback Correction twice again.

This is the work-around that seems simplest to me.  Essentially, from the frozen video, use Playback Correction once or twice, and the video gets transcoded from the server, and plays normally.

nweishar
5 minutes ago, mleblanc said:

This is the work-around that seems simplest to me.  Essentially, from the frozen video, use Playback Correction once or twice, and the video gets transcoded from the server, and plays normally.

It does for me as well as long as the content is already recorded. If it's a live stream it tells me it can't tune the channel after I click that button.

nweishar
On 1/24/2023 at 4:28 PM, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Hey Luke, just wondered if you know if there has been any movement on this in terms of a fix? The workaround is fine for me but unfortunately doesn't bode well for my non-tech savvy users at home. Thanks very much!

victor@vialy.com
17 minutes ago, nweishar said:

Hey Luke, just wondered if you know if there has been any movement on this in terms of a fix? The workaround is fine for me but unfortunately doesn't bode well for my non-tech savvy users at home. Thanks very much!

Have you tried going back to a previous version of emby server? Let's say, a 2 month old one?

That also helped me. Not 100%. Still some videos have to be transcoded and select a low speed to avoid the "still picture" error.

nweishar
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, our Android TV app will ultimately get the same updates to the video player. Thanks.

Okay great I'll look out for that!

Sidenote: I recently switched over from jellyfin, partially due to the great support I saw you guys providing in these forums. Thanks very much and please keep up the great work!

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
benh57

Returning my TCL roku tv partially due to emby subtitle issue and the limitations of Roku. I got a  $250 costco Hisense Google TV instead. This is running Android 11. 

Emby can stream to DLNA on the tv but playing via the emby app does not work. I've 'activated' and paid for the app.

So, playing starts ok, and can skip sections and it shows me only one frame, with the subtitle, but it doesn't continue, just seems to pause forever.

Server side is ok, because i can stream from my iPad just fine. 

I've sent logs via the TV as well as attached them here.

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63814689546.txt

Edited by benh57

benh57

Aha, found the other thread on this here 

Feel free to dupe this one, but it would be nice to fix this. 

f

benh57

Just found this thread -- the 'playback correction' 2x method works for me, though the quality is a bit low and transcoding isn't the best for my old laptop serving this.

Reading through the thread i'm not sure i saw a statement saying it was actually fixed -- is there a fix expected?

victor@vialy.com
9 hours ago, benh57 said:

Just found this thread -- the 'playback correction' 2x method works for me, though the quality is a bit low and transcoding isn't the best for my old laptop serving this.

Reading through the thread i'm not sure i saw a statement saying it was actually fixed -- is there a fix expected?

It kinda works better sometimes. 

Still have to transcode because audio stutters. 

• 3 weeks later...
mleblanc
Just now, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Yes, but the  the 'playback correction' 2x method is my regular work-around now.

victor@vialy.com
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Less frequently. But found out that it has trouble decoding DTS audio. It stutters. So I have to select "playback correction"

Ac3 plays fine. So I try to add ac3 content preferably. 

Sadly, most movies are DTS encoded. 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
2 hours ago, victor@vialy.com said:

Less frequently. But found out that it has trouble decoding DTS audio. It stutters. So I have to select "playback correction"

Suggesting your TV is telling emby it can play DTS when it probably cannot - resulting in emby not attempting to transcode it to AC3 or MP3.

This is forced during 'playback correction'.

Is it 100% only an issue on DTS titles ?

What TV model is it ?  Does it have any 'Sound' configuration options such as passthrough ?

victor@vialy.com
4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Suggesting your TV is telling emby it can play DTS when it probably cannot - resulting in emby not attempting to transcode it to AC3 or MP3.

This is forced during 'playback correction'.

Is it 100% only an issue on DTS titles ?

What TV model is it ?  Does it have any 'Sound' configuration options such as passthrough ?

It is a Hisense U8g

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u8g

The "stuttering" problem is not only on audio when playing days content. The video does too.

I played a 4k movie with both audio types, and recorded a video so you can see how it stutters on DTS and plays perfect with ac3

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, victor@vialy.com said:

Hi.  With the TV app you could uncheck the option to pass DTS audio and then set the Audio option to convert unsupported formats to DD.  That should handle this automatically for you.

• Agree 1

rbjtech

ok - thanks for the video.

I note the DTS is actually DTS-HD.

Very few TV's in the last 4-5 years natively support (decode) DTS and fewer still support/decode DTS-HD. (it 'should' just extract the Core in this scenerio).

I think if you turn off the DTS passthrough (as I alluded to in my previous post) then emby will transcode just the audio for you to AC3 - which should play ok. (as Eric has said above).

If you played the DTS/DTS-HD via EARC (to an external AVR) then according to the specs, this would passthrough fine - but you don't want to passthrough, you want to decode it.

victor@vialy.com
20 hours ago, rbjtech said:

ok - thanks for the video.

I note the DTS is actually DTS-HD.

Very few TV's in the last 4-5 years natively support (decode) DTS and fewer still support/decode DTS-HD. (it 'should' just extract the Core in this scenerio).

I think if you turn off the DTS passthrough (as I alluded to in my previous post) then emby will transcode just the audio for you to AC3 - which should play ok. (as Eric has said above).

If you played the DTS/DTS-HD via EARC (to an external AVR) then according to the specs, this would passthrough fine - but you don't want to passthrough, you want to decode it.

Thanks! Solved it doing as you told. 

• Like 1

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, victor@vialy.com said:

Thanks! Solved it doing as you told. 

Excellent.

And stats for nerds (the little cog icon on the playback screen) shows it now as playing AC3 ?  (as emby itself is converting it from DTS to AC3 for you ?)

victor@vialy.com
23 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Excellent.

And stats for nerds (the little cog icon on the playback screen) shows it now as playing AC3 ?  (as emby itself is converting it from DTS to AC3 for you ?)

Says this. 

All direct playing. Playing perfectly.

IMG_20230405_170756656.jpg

• Thanks 1