EMBY SERVER on Rapsberry PI400

HUGO1963

HUGO1963

Hello 

I want to implement a entertainment system for the passengers of a tourist bus to connect their mobile devices through an internal WIFI network to emby server.

Since space is limited, I have the idea to install EMBY SERVER on a Rapsberry PI400 and the movies on a very robust ADATA SD700 external SSD disk, both will be connected to each other by USB 3.0 port. All equipment will be powered by a voltage inverter connected to the bus battery. 

Will EMBY Server work well on the PI400? Will the transfer speed with the SD700 be sufficient?

I will only install movies with 480 i (p) resolution and a bit rate no higher than 1.5 Mbps.

Regards

HI, I think you'll be fine with that as this is an upgraded RPI 4 and many users here run the server on RPI4. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
HUGO1963

Hi Luke

Not yet, the rapsberry PI400 is sold out in the local market, I am waiting for it to become available.  

Although there are a huge number of options, I have not yet been able to decide which router or wireless AP to use in this application. 

The place where the equipment will be installed will be ventilated, protected against dust , I am concerned that the vibration or the movement of the bus may damage  it , maybe  I will have to use some material that minimizes vibration 

Routers designed for heavy duty, are out of my budget and would be oversized.   

In any case, the router must be compatible with both frequency bands, i.e. 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHZ.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
McMovies
On 21/02/2023 at 22:45, HUGO1963 said:

Not yet, the rapsberry PI400 is sold out in the local market, I am waiting for it to become available.

if not purchased already , do check out Orange pi 5. Its much powerful than rpi4 and is available readily , unlike raspberry Pi where scalpers are ruining the market.  Its highly unlike you will ever be able to purchase any rpi now because of no production + scalpers. 

On 21/02/2023 at 22:45, HUGO1963 said:

I am concerned that the vibration or the movement of the bus may damage  it , maybe  I will have to use some material that minimizes vibration 

Vibration is not that point of concern unless bus is all the time doing off-road adventures. but to be in safe side, there are small hardware boxes available ( dont know what they called) they looks like something like this - https://www.connectingpoint.in/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/61fTnA2zF8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg  

Most of them have rubber feets in the mounting point, that will absorb the vibrations. plus they also come with a built-in fan to keep stuffs cool. and since you are not keeping any moving part like mechanical HDD, etc so you will be fine... 

Anyways don't invest in any expensive router stuffs , if your number of simultaneous users is going to be around 20, consider duel band cheap tp-links. or get two used c7 and further divide the load. mount them with some rubber feets as well. will be fine. 

i see one concern thought -- performance of mobile browser while while streaming, app is optimised but you cant ask people to install apps to view .. right ??

Edited by McMovies

HUGO1963

Very useful information

I did not know the Orange Pi5, it is indeed far superior to the Pi4. It has 8 cores, excellent.

How many GB of RAM should be the best to run EMBY SERVER, let's say for 40 people simultaneously?

Normally people don't like to download applications they don't use frequently, but I think if I inform them of the advantages of using the EMBY app they might do it.

What do you consider to be the most useful and user-friendly features of the app?

Best regards