Use of upnp Profile

FabienB

Hi there,

I have wandered around the forum and still can't quite get my head around how profiles are supposed to work, if they actually are (I mean maybe it's a non-premier limitation I didn't quite understand)

I use the beta version of the server from DSM, which runs on an Xpenology over a proxmox, so there is not much (of the poor) CPU power left nor any acceleration available, but that shouldn't be a problem

So I was trying to create a custom profile for my LG C2 TV to go around currently known behaviour of HEVC+DTS files being fully transcoded to H264+AC3. (Using LG WebOS up to date app)

But enough talking about my life, I'm going to trying to ask questions as concise as it can get from my current understanding, but I might have misinterpreted some concepts.

❓Are profiles actually taken into account ? And is there any order of precedence ?
- It seems that it recognize that my TV won't accept DTS, even if the only profile "LG Smart TV" lists "dts" among other codecs as has "DirectPlay"

❓Where are we suppose to detect that a particular profile has been used ?
- I've created a custom profile with the same identification but changing just MaxStreamingBitrate to 100000000 but didn't find any trace of this in the log

❓How can we be sure to enter the right information on the Identification part ? Is there any way to know which values are mapped by Emby when TV presents itself ?

❓Does codec order influence which will be used firstly ? (and does video code accepts multiple value? would the use of "hevc,h264" and "eac3,aac,mp3" as transcoding values be any effective ?

❓What does the "Codecs" tab do ?
- The explanation seems to be that any of these encountered codec will provoke transcoding, but is initially containing values that it actually transcodes to like "ac3"

❓Is there any way (or maybe coming feature) about being able to convert to EAC3 instead of AC3 ?

I know that my be a lot of questions, and may be it comes from bad deduction of what's suppose to be going on, or a current "LG centric" problem, but I plan on going Premier but not without knowing what in the h*** is going on (excuse my french 🤣)

Thanks for your time

NOTE :
- I've used the "disable video transcoding for user" method to get around forced video transcoding (but that doesn't seem quite a solution)
- I have logs, and will not hesitate to use them if force is required !! but I didn't know if that was necessary, feel free to ask ;)

Well after a few head banging I think I got a better understanding (For some reason I didn't have full debug info before any restart)

So what is NOT answered so far is :

5 hours ago, FabienB said:

❓How can we be sure to enter the right information on the Identification part ? Is there any way to know which values are mapped by Emby when TV presents itself ?

❓Does codec order influence which will be used firstly ? (and does video code accepts multiple value? would the use of "hevc,h264" and "eac3,aac,mp3" as transcoding values be any effective ?

❓What does the "Codecs" tab do ?
- The explanation seems to be that any of these encountered codec will provoke transcoding, but is initially containing values that it actually transcodes to like "ac3"

❓Is there any way (or maybe coming feature) about being able to convert to EAC3 instead of AC3 ?

We're getting there, slowly and maybe solely, but it is still a step further

Hi, yes this is on our to do list to provide better documentation for.

When you fill out the identification criteria, currently the only way to verify success is to watch the server log to see what dlna profile was chosen .

Codec order does not matter.

@Luke thanks for the reply, I've been playing with it since and noticed that there is there is not much thing to do right now about audio conversion beside having the track encoded in e-ac3 before AND not using (or at least converting to subrip) the PGS if any (besides I have audio skip when it comes to converting dts-hd MA to ac3, even if my CPU don't go past 10% usage...)

I'll keep on following future updates to see if it leaverages me from most of the manual conversion before upgrading to premier, and buying the hardware encoding capable parts I would need, but until then I'll just use the media cataloging part (which is still amazing on it's own).

If I may ask one more question: would a Nvidia Shield Pro (for all the certification it has) with an audio extractor (1 hdmi to 2 HDMI) enable me to play anything without any conversion ? I really have a hard time determining if all certifications would lead to all directplay (or at least just remux), and how Emby would enable different codecs (since extractor would send only one EDID)

... Well maybe that was 2 questions ...

I haven't tested with an extractor before but in general the shield is the most robust playback device outside of a PC. It can direct play just about anything without transcoding.